Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Any lawful impediment?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Im at friend’s second wedding tomorrow.

Fortunately she knows I’m allergic to religious ceremony and so has proposed solving several problems by my staying outside the church to look after her dog and keeping an eye out on the v v v slim chance her ranty ex might turn up to spoil the show.

He and I know each other, though not quite what you’d call “friends”, but in the past we’ve even had a ski holiday together and we have got on OK (I’m closer to his ex wife really), but it’s clear his relationship with his ex is pretty nasty.

I’m unsure whether I can stop him going in to the church. After all it’s supposed to be a public ceremony isn’t it, with an opportunity for anyone with “just cause” to yadda yadda etc? (there really isn’t one by the way).

I’m guessing the best I can do is try and persuade him not to make a prize twerp of himself, failing that can I legitimately prevent him from “breaching the peace”?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Silky pruning saw?

Quite good apparently.

He’ll struggle to get in the church without any limbs.

P-Jay
    Free Member

You can reason with him, or fight him I guess.

What type of dog? Big ‘un?

Stoner
    Free Member

greater risk of drowning from slobber than a rabies-infected bite unfortunately.

P-Jay
    Free Member

You might as well lace up your gloves then, in the tiny chance he does turn up it’s not going to be for any positive reason and is unlikely to be turned away at the door because you ask him to.

maccruiskeen

Just give him a cheery wave (or flick him the Vs if you like) – nobody **** with the Yakuza.

somouk
    Free Member

Hang around with some bombers outside and hope he gets the idea?

nickc

I’m guessing the best I can do is try and persuade him not to make a prize twerp of himself

yep.

fisticuffs at the reception – wouldn’t be a proper wedding otherwise

fisticuffs at the church – just not the done thing

perchypanther
    Free Member

nobody **** with the Yakuza.

😆

JoeG
    Free Member

+1

nickhit3
    Free Member

Are you wearing a kilt? if not, why not. Quick flash of the goods acts as a deterrent, in most situations-including weddings/christenings/funerals. At several paces most younger males will retreat upon clocking my vegetables as to avoid an embarrassing showdown. YMMV.

CountZero

perchypanther – Member
    Silky pruning saw?

Quite good apparently.

He’ll struggle to get in the church without any limbs.
    😆
    Just been reading that thread before this one! Good one!

Sandwich

That’s traditionally the Best Man and Groomsmen job. Issue bombers all round and let them get on with it. The dog gets what’s left.

maccruiskeen

As it’ll be a suit and tie affair anyway just take along an old earpiece and stand in the doorway like a bouncer. Practice the ‘speak to the hand’ gesture in the mirror though. If you don’t do it with conviction it can easily be confused for an invitation to High-Five.

BFITH
    Free Member

Let him embarrass himself. If he has no good reason then hes going to look a bit daft if he does try to interrupt the ceremony …..

aracer
    Free Member

Take beer and get him to join you in a friendly drink. You get to enjoy yourself even if the drink just encourages him.

ElShalimo

Bring a hip-flask, some doggy treats and your mp3 player and enjoy the doggy time.

Fisticuffs outside won’t look good.

Fisticuffs later is normal service

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3NqLjPGRds&feature=youtu.be&t=320[/video]

EDIT – 5mins 20s is where you need to be (how do you paste in a link with
    a time?)

dannybgoode

Is a wedding a public ceremony? I’d just tell him to go bollocks.

funkmasterp

Dig a massive pit outside the church. Tell him he’s free to go in to the church and then laugh when he falls down the pit The downside of this plan is you’ll have to bury him alive in it to avoid all the wedding party also falling in.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Groomsmen

They’re ushers. Even in the grim wastelands of the Midlands where the OP resides.

invitation to High-FiveFour and a Half

FTFY.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ll have you know he lives in the bucolic English countryside – we try to ignore the relative proximity of the grim wastelands.

wombat

Is the bride’s name Louise?

Stoner
    Free Member

v close. but she’s not the nutty one.

Sandwich

Captain I’m talking proper old school wedding etiquette here not the Victorian style modern rubbish. The type of wedding where a groomsmen had a quality sword to hold off any pretenders to the maidens affection. Stoners bit of the world still follows the old, old ways.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Is the ex husband called Louise?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Know where the local Rugby club are playing on the day? I might cost you a case of cheap beer but 16:1 lets him know the score.

Failing that the Oi mate speech is your last resort, followed by getting stuck in.
    [video]https://youtu.be/3qQ17UnJk_Y[/video]

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Any lawful impediment?’ is closed to new replies.