Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Any Lactose intolerant people or Vegans in the house?
  • eth3er
    Free Member

What do you eat for breakfast? I'm trying to find a dairy free breakfast, maybe i'm not trying hard enough but god knows i'm struggling. Help away.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Where's the lactose in this ?

Have it with black coffee.

nostoc
    Free Member

toast with tahini and a banana this morning

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Couldn't you just have your regular cereal with soya milk? My GF does & it seems fine. Or there's even a lactose free milk in the shops now too.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Have a coffee and a fag like a real man. Dairy brings me out in hives/itchy skin/dermographia/blocked sinuses etc so I went to the aforementioned diet years ago, and a couple of espresso and a rollie works a treat in the morning. It's really good for maintaining a regular morning "movement" too.

Dairy is not natural for adult mammals.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Depends, but usually one or more of the following…

Cereal with soya milk (hot milk in the winter on shredded wheat is good)- if you wanna be healthy you can chuck some dried fruit or bananas or summut in with it
    Porridge made soya milk and sugar or agave syrup
    Toast with peanut butter and jam/marmalade/ginger marmalade
    Toast with dairy free marg (eg vitalite or pure)and marmite
    Bagels/crumpets/muffins
    Fried Mushrooms and linda mccartney sausages on toast
    Beans on toast
    Fry up
    Or, if I'm on the road a costa coffee from the service station made with soya milk and caramel syrup and a trek bar or something similar

HTH 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

Dairy is not natural for adult mammals

But tobacco is? 😆

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Dairy is not natural for adult mammals

But tobacco is?

Yeah, when's the last time you've seen an adult mammal sucking a cows teat outside the office? eh?

Susie
    Free Member

I have a reaction if I have too much soya too, so I either have Muesli with hot water or toast with peanut butter, honey or jam. When I could have soya I just had breakfast cereals with soya milk on, or fruit with soya yogurt.

jon1973
    Free Member

Yeah, when's the last time you've seen an adult mammal sucking a cows teat outside the office? eh?

You've clearly never been to Norfolk.

Junkyard
    Free Member

bircher muesli (spell?)Soak muesli dase (oates/millet flakes etc) in apple juice over night and add soya yoghurt + fruit nuts
    drop scones with raisins and DARK chicolate as weekend treat
    Cereal + soya milk
    Toast and whatever

Nico
    Free Member

A good link on this subject here.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

You've clearly never been to Norfolk.

True dat and well spotted. I have my pantomime cow regalia and a coach ticket booked.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I seriously misread the title of this thread – must be my anti-chav radar ……………………….Lacoste intolerant indeed!

jon1973
    Free Member

I'm way ahead of you Dr.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

also, if you don't like soya milk (sweetened or unsweetened) there are obviously other ones to try – rice, oat, almond, quinoa (which is surprisingly nice) etc

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I'm way ahead of you Dr.

You think so?

I'm waiting for the coach now, and I'm Friesian out here…

(edited for a more realistic representation of my Norfolk visit attire)

(2nd gen edit-although my udder is bigger.)

(I don't have an udder.I meant my "Teat")

Junkyard
    Free Member

That was udderly rubbish
    Dont milk it
    I will get my coat

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Dont milk it

You're welcome to milk my teat anytime junkyard.

Junkyard
    Free Member

LOL and runs away worried

Lionheart
    Free Member

I need to keep the milk down to a little in tea and coffee and dont drink much of those two. ~ So I needed and alternative and now on my cereals I love orange juice!

skidartist
    Free Member

I used to use Oat milk, but as a way of moving away from milky stuff entirely. Its not very milk-like in the same way as as soya milk, its also nicely simple – just oats and water, so it tastes different to milk but does a similar job. Works better in cereals than it does in hot drinks though.

I gave up milk and cheese about a year ago, and oat milk was a useful transition for things like hot drinks as I'd always had my tea and coffee quite milky. In the end though I felt that milky subsitutes are dodging the issue, particularly as they aren't as easy to lay your hands on, so I decided it was better to make a clean break. All that milk and (most) cheese really does is soften the taste of things and bulk them up, once your out of the habit of it you don't miss it. In fact I took a concerted swing towards small, sharp, strong tasting things and away from long, sloppy voluminous gloop. Swapped milky tea and gallon mugs of latte for thimbles of espresso, swapped lager for whisky etc. It took quite a while longer to get into longer black coffees and black tea. With tea it was actually an adjustment in how long it takes me to drink it, I'll nurse a cuppa for quite a while.

Given that milk and cheese where pretty much my favorite things, now on the odd occasions that I fall off the lorry (float) I wonder why I ever bothered with it in the first place.

Breakfast… espresso, orange juice, toast, marmite
    If I've got a bit more time on my hands then Jamie Oliver's Eggy/chilli/crumpets with bacon. Brilliant, sounds a bit whacky but its not. The only down side being chopping chilli at 6am – you will will will rub your eyes.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

porridge (using a 1:2 ratio of soya milk and water) with sultanas, or golden syrup if i feel dirty.

toast with pure sunflower margarine and st dalfour jam.

fried mushrooms with garlic and soy sauce on home made bread toast.

or… for a special occasion, a big fry-up. veggie sausages, fake bacon, fried mushrooms and tofu, fried tomatoes, baked beans and home made rosti.

grahamb
    Free Member

Breakfast most days is Infinity deluxe muesli with Provamel sweetened soy milk & whatever fruit i have in the house, possibly followed by some toast with Suma margarine, all washed down with orange juice & an espresso.

I'll occasionally use fruit juice on cereal, especially when i'm working away & stuck in a hotel with no soy milk. Pear juice is nice.

usual cooked breakfast it'd be beans, fried mushrooms & crumbled bean curd (which comes out a bit like scrambled eggs), sauté spuds done in a wok with chilli & garlic. There's a Madhur Jaffrey spicy scrambled eggs recipe that adopts well to bean curd.

My favourite breakfast, when i have time the night before & i remember to make the batter (which isn't often unfortunately), is Idly or Dosa, Sambhar & masala potatoes.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the Lactase tablets then? My wife has an intolerance yet she can pretty well much eat what she wants if she has a tablet before the dairy.

She gets them from Holland and Barratt.

alpin
    Free Member

amongst our friends two of the girls are 'fussy' with regards to milk. we've also two vegies although they happily gulp milk and boil baby chicks eggs.

there is a litre each of soya milk and a lactose free milk in the fridge and only a dribble of full-fat stuff.

i agree that drinking milk isn't normal for mature mammals.

– be careful when searching "man sucking cow" with safety filter off.

alpin
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and boil baby chicks eggs.

But eggs that you buy in a supermarket are unfertilised eggs and would never, ever have become chicks.

And why wouldn't a vegetarian drink milk? After all, no animals are harmed in the production of milk.

juan
    Free Member

Dairy is not natural for adult mammals.

Except for human… Who can digest lactose.

mrsflash
    Free Member

After all, no animals are harmed in the production of milk.

that's v debateable.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Okay, if the vegetarian is against any possibility of animal cruelty I could understand why they would choose not to eat/drink mass-produced eggs and/or milk, but they could have them from approved sources surely?

bumley
    Free Member

I have all bran or weetabix with hot water on

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Weekdays: 4 Weetabix with Sainsbury's Sweetened Soya Milk, some raisins, and sunflower seeds; and a smoothie (1 banana, handful of Basics frozen berry mix, orange juice). Easy.

On a weekend if I'm feeling a little daring I'll make a fry up for me and the girlfriend. This is usually LM sausages, mushrooms, tinned plum tomatoes and toast. I love scrambled bean curd but she hates it so I rarely make it.

Not even a hint of lactose in all that.

Okay, if the vegetarian is against any possibility of animal cruelty I could understand why they would choose not to eat/drink mass-produced eggs and/or milk, but they could have them from approved sources surely?

This could get interesting…

alpin
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

and boil baby chicks eggs.

But eggs that you buy in a supermarket are unfertilised eggs and would never, ever have become chicks.

And why wouldn't a vegetarian drink milk? After all, no animals are harmed in the production of milk.

yeah, but don't tell them that.

it annoys me a little that people won't/can't eat milf/meat. now i'm a fussy git and won't eat aubergine or zucchini but i'll just fish them out and eat around them. but i can't cook anything tht has shared the same pan with a slab of meat, let alone the same sauce. not that i eat masses of meat.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

can't eat milf

That's another discussion altogether. But then again, I am not a pescatarian…

Coat is on.

mrsflash
    Free Member

snort. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

And why wouldn't a vegetarian drink milk? After all, no animals are harmed in the production of milk

how do they get milk from the cow?
    Artificially inseminate cows and then kill the young…cows don’t lactate unless they have been pregnant like every other mammal
    Disease in cows is rife especially mastitis (inflammation of the udders
    Given regular doses of hormones and medicines to maximise production a lot of which can be found in the milk
    Killed when healthy but not producing enough milk

Not my definition of no harm.
    Is it still yours?

Eggs again hens are killed once they stop laying though I used to keep hens in a woodland but I moved away. I accept that that may be possible to eat without harm
    Some vegans dont eat honey either FWIW.
    I cant be @rsed doing this again eat what you want it is your choice but given you can avoid killing things that feel pain to survive I would prefer {yes its a luxury) of doing this but accept others can do as they please.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Read my subsequent post – below for your benefit…

]Okay, if the vegetarian is against any possibility of animal cruelty I could understand why they would choose not to eat/drink mass-produced eggs and/or milk, but they could have them from approved sources surely?

And to be honest, your post does rather sound like it has been taken from an anti-animal cruelty leaflet. No doubt some dreadful things happen to many animals kept for their products, but at the same time your post does sound a bit like scare-mongering. For example, why on earth would a farmer kill the cow's calf? Surely the beast could be kept for it's own milk or sold to a meat farmer. If that sort of thing happens on a mass-scale, it is no wonder our dairy farmers are broke – they need to start thinking laterally about maximising profits…

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – can you define 'approved sources' for me please?

mrsflash
    Free Member

FWIW to me, vegetarianism seems a little hypocritical – to not eat meat, but to be happy to drink milk, wear leather shoes etc. Vegans I can understand.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Any Lactose intolerant people or Vegans in the house?’ is closed to new replies.