Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Any Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC owners here? – mpg question?
  • ski
    Free Member

Just wondering if there are any Honda owners on here who can give me an idea of what mpg they get?

The car I am looking at is a 06 5dr 1.8 i-tec Honda Civic EX.

The MPG on paper seems to vary enormously. from 33-54mpg 😯

Will mostly be doing short runs, B roads and town driving, no motorway, sensible driving.

lasty
    Free Member

Ive got a 1.6 and it regularly gets 40+ mpg without really trying. Motorway 55-65mph should easily see you in high 40s.

Cane it up the motorway or drive like a dick and youll see a marked reduction …..

catnash
    Free Member

Had a 1.8 ES 06 plate, averaged 40-42 mpg, A roads and Dual carriageway mostly with sensible driving.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ski
    Free Member

That will do me, pretty impressive mpg for a 1.8 petrol then, thanks for the feedback.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a 2.0 I Vtec Accord it’s good for 40 on a run.

The trick is to keep them out of the second cam profile so in mine that’s around 4000rpm under that and they aren’t thirsty, over that it gets bad!

nigelb001
    Free Member

Oh Dear! 34-36 but then I’m not a sensible driver, lots of fairly short journeys and often with two bikes on the roof. 🙁 Motorway 55-65mph – I don’t know how to do that.

boblo
    Free Member

So someone with a 1.6 and someone else with a 2.0…? 🙂

1.8 ivtec here (well wife has, not for me <shudder> 🙂 ). We get low 40’s mixed driving which can rise to mid 40’s on a run.

Apparently the vtec in this instance is for economy as, despite claiming 140bhp, it feels gutless.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve got one, an 07 1.8 ES. Exclusively on the work run, which is about 3 miles of b road, and a mixed 1.5 miles of 30/40 and traffic, I get 35 without being careful. Mix in longer A-road runs and I got low 40s, a big motorway run mixed in would maybe see 45. That’s all on the onboard computer though, so probably as accurate as DRS 😉

Nice car though, in my experience.

the_lecht_rocks

My mugen m20 manages 28 on a run…. 😈

peterich
    Free Member

06 1.8 here – on board says around 35 but that’s nearly all round town always with roof rack on I remember getting it and getting a claimed 56 on the screen for a 70mile a road and dual carrage way journey but I was really trying to eek it out
    great car though I love it
    read the civic forums for common faults to look for
    I had a temp sensor on the rad corrode and was told it needed a new wiring loom at around £3500 after hours of research I found they have produced a fix for it and it cost £100 thank god

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 56 plate 1.8 sport. Was reading an indicated 43 mpg over 8000 miles, mainly a road commuting.
    Mpg seems noticeably lower in the winter, higher in the summer for me, possibly down to types though?
    Averaged 49 mpg over 1000 miles on holiday last week (sensible motorway/A road driving mostly).
    As others have said, much thirstier above about 4000 rpm but that is where the most fun is.
    Awesome car for lugging stuff about, the magic rear seats are fantastic.
    Civinfo forum is quite a helpful place if you need more information!

ski
    Free Member

Dangerboy, thanks for the info, still amazed that a 1.8l petrol can get those sort of mpg figures in real driving situations.

Will check out the Civinfo forum too

molgrips
    Free Member

Mpg seems noticeably lower in the winter, higher in the summer for me

It’s the same for everyone, it’s physics. The same for diesel and petrol but interestingly for completely different reasons.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Almost got a boxed oven in the boot last week without putting the seats down 🙂

anjs
    Free Member

if you are worried about mpg then have a look at the cdti. Mine averages around 60 on motorway drives and we normally get 600 miles from a tank.

boblo
    Free Member

The only downside for me is it looks and feels a bit cheap and plasticky inside (dare I say ‘Japanese’). It doesn’t feel anything like as solid as its German competition or even the Focus we had before it.

buck53

Slight thread hijack, I’m afraid. Is the view out of the rear screen livable? I realise it’s restricted, sat in one the other day and I thought it was (just) OK, but gf is not so sure.

boblo
    Free Member

Mrs Boblo is 5’2″ and hasn’t reversed into anything yet…. Apparently, reversing beepers are a mandatory ‘option’ so make sure yours has these. For me, it’s liveable.

nigelb001
    Free Member

I find rear view OK but not brilliant. 3/4 view is not so good but its liveable with, I’ve driven worse, I’ve driven better. Bonus is that when driving at night the headlights of a car following at a reasonable distance behind is mostly blocked by the spoiler bar so no dazzle even though you know its there.

buck53

Bonus is that when driving at night the headlights of a car following at a reasonable distance behind is mostly blocked by the spoiler bar so no dazzle even though you know its there.

Ooh good point, hadn’t thought of that.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

you lot must be lying.. 😉

i dont have accurate figures but my 1.6vtec hrv is getting nowhere near the above, its stated as 27.2mpg stock and i agree.

then again its part time 4WD so i guess this knocks it down a bit~!

jono1982
    Free Member

2007 1.8 type s gt (3dr)

average 43.6mpg (over 5000-6000 miles since we bought it)

girlfriend drives it most, so stays under the v-tec switch.

boblo
    Free Member

Aaaah another 1.6 driver answering a 1.8 question…. Move, along now sonny, nothing for you here…. 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Any Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC owners here? – mpg question?’ is closed to new replies.