Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any high/mid ankle protection clipless shoes still around?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Thursday afternoon, on the stop after Walna Scar descent I realized that my trusty Shimano AM51 shoes start showing signs of giving up. Mesh on the outside side, where side of the shoe is merging with toe box ripped and I have another, not exactly planned or wanted vent port.

Back home thought I will just buy another pair. Sadly looks like that model is now discontinued.

So expanded my criteria and started browsing.

Unfortunately nothing similar popped in. Likes of Northwave Enduro Mid, Sidi Defender, Lake MX180 or Mavic XA Pro all seems to be much less generously padded on the ankle and unarguably shorter…

Is that current state of affairs and I’m chasing some unobtanium and all so called “All Mountain” shoes relocated to parallel universe?

Cheers!

I.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vaude Downieville Mid might fit the bill.

Rarer than rocking horse shit, though, sadly.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Looked at Vaude offer as well and they all seems to be much lower cut these days. And often asymetrical to protect from the crank side and no protection from the outside.

Looks like days of Shimano AM51/31, Scott All Mountain or Spesh Pitsaw are truly gone 😭

Might need to have a proper look/try around and settle down with something more Euro-Enduro like…

Cheers!

I.

Del

yeah, i don’t get it. a boot to keep all the crap out and stop you mangling your ankles on rocks and cranks, with a bit of support when you’re off the bike, seems like just the thing to me, but there seem to be very few out there. i have the lake mx145 but they’re too warm this time of year ( and i’m somone happy to wear shimano mt90/mt91 at this time of year! ).

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Gave try to Sidi Defender, as they vere on nice sell on Alpine Trek.

Will see…

Cheers!

I.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any high/mid ankle protection clipless shoes still around?’ is closed to new replies.