Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Any high end FS frames that don't have any issues
  • sig123
    Free Member

Keep reading reports of cracks/snaps etc on high end frames, had a turner which snapped now have a yeti asr5 and keep reading bad reports on them, just wondering if there any frames out there with little or no bad reports on them.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Ibis?

LoCo
    Free Member

Edit: not saying anything 😉

misinformer
    Free Member

Cotic? Nukeproof? Saracen?

jam-bo

Fives

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Pivot Mach 429 carbon.

ads678

I think it’s all down to the name really. If the name of the bike can be altered to include a form of break age then you here about those failing. I.e. snapierre, cracknfail and some others I can’t think of right now……

My 2005 Orange five is still going strong so that must mean all Oranges are good right?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Santa Cruz seem OK, mostly good reports.

takisawa2

Ventana.
    They are quite substantially built.
    I did see a pic of a failed one on here, but I took the couple I’ve had to Radness of Gnar level 7.
    Which is quite high.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Everything breaks….

Older Spec Enduros at the chain stays (2 versions)

In general if you want to avoid problems then the later versions of a model (The 06ish enduro style got some tougher chain stays added, SC Changed the design of the pivot that was cracking)

My 2005 Orange five is still going strong so that must mean all Oranges are good right?

Wasn’t there a bunch of swing arm failures?

Anything that is less than a year old I wouldn’t trust as it’s not been out enough to be tested properly, if it’s had issues and a re-design then it’s probably good and if it’s made 2 years with nothing serious then go for it.

Just make sure you don’t go for anything less than a 5 year warranty.

kiwijohn

Yep. Nope.

My ’08 Enduro S-Works carbon is still going strong – didn’t have any issues with the ’06 Expert either

mikewsmith
    Free Member

kiwijohn – Member

Yep. Nope.
    Though issue resolved through re design?

didn’t have any issues with the ’06 Expert either

One of the lucky ones!

richmtb

You snapped a Turner? My DW link 5 spot looks like it would survive an attack by a hungry T Rex. But then I’ve never snapped a frame

travo
    Free Member

Knolly, some of the older endorphins had a few issues with swing arms but everything else they’ve made is pretty much bomb proof, I’m on my third one after owning the last two (v-tach, delirium now a chilcotin) for 3 years each and haven’t even had to replace so much as a bearing on any of them.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Everything breaks.The title should be “Which brand has the best after sales care?”.In which case Turner (if you don’t go through Sliverfilth) or Nicolai.

damascus
    Free Member

I think the w in Whyte stands for warranty (they have very good aftersales service)

The Whyte 146 later models have a cross brace to fix any earlier issues.

As long as you are the original owner you get a warranty to cover any defects. The problems come when people do massive drop offs, are not lightweight and land badly and wonder why the bike has broken or you have bought it 2nd hand and have no come back.

I guess that’s one reason why the new frames cost so much

Superficial
    Free Member

OP, what have you heard about your ASR-5? I don’t think I’ve heard of many problems. I have one and I’m not aware of any issues.

rickon
    Free Member

Best bet is to buy a frame that has had many iterations, so all the problems have been sorted out.

I’ll say a Turner Burner. (New frame, but its had the original burner, flux, spot, sultan, rfx to base issues on, and Turner have nailed any of the issues when they came up. I don’t think I’ve heard of a 2011+ frame dying).

jairaj

How about Transition?

I’m very happy with my Bandit. Haven’t read any complaints about that at all.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Transition (I have a covert) I’ve not heard of any issues. Nukeproof seem very durable and they are great value

Northwind

Anything can and will break, so get something with both a good warranty and good service of that warranty (it’s not use having a good warranty if it takes months to replace the bike, no idea why people seem to accept that)

euans2
    Free Member

Commencal sorted out the Meta issues when the new style Metas were launched in 2012, not heard any bad reports since

banks
    Free Member

Transition, heard from somewhere that only 14 frames have been warranted

Kahurangi

kiwijohn – Member
    Yep. Nope.

You mean “yeah, nah“? 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nukeproof seem very durable and they are great value

Except for the first lot of Mega’s that needed new chain stays.

crush83
    Free Member

Like travo said, knolly. Been reading up on them for months and haven’t come across any reports of breaks in their bikes for a few years! Can’t wait to get my warden!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

A decade working in bikes shops and I haven’t yet come across a brand that I haven’t seen ANY issues with… As said before, go with whoever has best aftersales.

doug_basqueMTB.com

The commencal designer told me they have seen zero issues with the new meta, I believe him given how the rest of the conversation was I.e. very frank and non corporate. I’m still trying to break my cove GSpot which is quite impressive given how much use it has. Almost every single component has broken but not the frame!

TooTall
    Free Member

I weigh 250lbs and am a much crappier and more clumsy rider than the OP – that is a dead cert. My Turner Sultan could take a beating from 2 of me for the rest of my life and still kick my backside.
    Someone has something good and someone has something bad to say about every brand of everything in the world.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Since when have Nukeproof, Specialized & Commençal been high end, no offence to owners of them.

Knolly, Nicolai, Liteville etc are high end

JCL
    Free Member

The commencal designer told me they have seen zero issues with the new meta, I believe him given how the rest of the conversation was I.e. very frank and non corporate.

Remember when they had a load of issues? They’ve been overbuilding since I think. Subsequently fairly heavy bikes, nowt else wrong with them though.

doug_basqueMTB.com

That is it JCL. The conversation about breakages came about after I had mentioned that the bikes weren´t the lightest!

righog
    Free Member

In the last three years I can think of the following snapped frames with the guys I ride with. Not sure if you would class them as high end frames but all between £1.K-£3.5K for the full bikes to buy.

Cube AMS x 2
    Cube Stereo
    Specialized Epic Carbon…( 3 times frame replaced)
    Trek Remedy.

The Remedy was just before Christmas.

All of these were sorted under warranty without much fuss, by the LBS’s they were bought from.

A few things have occurred to me about this.

It would take a brave design team to say to their managers “do you know what lets, just tweak last years design, instead of designing a new bike”

New bike designs are being Beta tested by the owners.

Do the really big boys sell so many bikes that just sit in sheds and garages un-ridden, that they are happy to fix the few that are ridden hard.

I am happy with my Five.

messiah
    Free Member

I’d rather have a bike that didn’t break than one that needs a warranty. Getting a new bike every year or so via a warranty sounds good but having done it the warranty process is almost always a total pain (although my last two {Ragley and Whyte} were relatively painless… partly because I always have 2+ bikes these days 🙄 ).

I know of three Nicolai’s with issues. One of those was caused by the owner not servicing the bushings when they needed it; riding the bike hard with loose bushings wore the frame; but the dealer was very good and sorted him with another frame, and I believe the damaged frame was repaired and is with a new owner. The second is the secondhand/demo frame story off here which again involved loose bushings; I can’t remember how that finished. The third is a frame with a damaged bottom bracket shell from a bike being ridden with a poorly fitting or damaged bottom bracket. Nicolai offered to repair this at cost, but BETD were cheaper, and I think the frame was sold cheaply as damaged repairable.

OK… so I’m a bit of a Nicolai fanboi but I’ve been riding Nicolai’s for 10 years and not broken one (first I had for 6+ years and My Helius AM for nearly 4 years)… which with my history of breaking bikes is impressive (my AM has outlasted two hardtail frames… and the AM is the bike I use for the big stuff 😯 ).

I think I need to buy a Nicolai hardtail next time 😉

wwaswas

Liteville Mk11?

I’ve never heard of any problems with them.

Although a 0.1% failure rate on something that sells 10,000 or 100,000 units is likely to get far more attention than a 0.1% failure rate on something that sells less than 500 (yes, I understand that 0.1% of 500 is less than 1 and that’s rather the point I’m making).

hamishthecat
    Free Member

^^ This – I did quite a bit of Googling before i bought my s/h Mk8 and could find no reports of any failures. Didn’t search any German websites mind you but I’ve never heard of any issues. Maybe that’s why they’re happy to offer a 10m year transferrable warranty.

pictonroad

Don’t hear much on the ‘vine about broken Ibis’s (Ibese?)

gonesailing
    Free Member

Pivot make a good frame.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Don’t hear much on the ‘vine about broken Ibis’s (Ibese?)

Read plenty on MTBR several years ago about broken swingarms. Good aftersales though from all accounts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Any high end FS frames that don't have any issues’ is closed to new replies.