Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Any hams in the house?
  • dannybgoode

Just passed my RSGB Foundation exam and waiting for my certificate so I can apply for my license and call sign.

Also sourced an old but very good Kenwood TS-430S and antenna + power supply arrive tomorrow so very nearly ready to go – very giddy!

Any other hams kicking around?

Cheers

Danny B

Dibbs
    Free Member

I passed my Radio Amateurs exam 30 years ago and then moved job and house and never got around to doing anything with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do people still do that?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jon1973
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PzeB1nj79w[/video]

woody21
    Free Member

I know I shouldn’t confuse radio hams with cb radio but…does anyone still use a cb radio?

althepal

Shouldn’t Jamie have posted something by now? Probably will be amusing when he gets round to it..

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m G0UKL, used to work for Icom(UK)Ltd then Lowe Electronics. Havent played radio for years though.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

M3WCT – not been on since moving to a rented flat a few years ago though.
    Sold all my gear so unlikely to start again too.
    Enjoy your new hobby…

cheez0
    Free Member

Didnt they invent the internet to enable geeks to communicate across the world?

Do you get to sign off with a natty sig?

CQCQ

CH33Z0 B

bearnecessities

Cheers

Danny B

Over

(sorry!)

cranberry
    Free Member

Do people still do that?

+ 1

http://www.skype.com

dannybgoode

You will all be screwed when the internet goes down though won’ t you 😉

Seriously, I think more people are taking their exams now than ever and there are a fair few data modes in operation also.

Plus you get to spend huge amounts of money with loads of buttons and screens on them so it must be cool!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there is an app for that now..
    http://www.hamsphere.com/

benji
    Free Member

The one that used to make me chuckle was the slow scan television, why?

The one watt club I could understand, but the telly why?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Because you can?

fasthaggis

“Broadsword calling Danny boybgoode”

Sorry ,I read the title wrong and thought you meant acting

DezB
    Free Member

Who’s your seatcover good buddy?

antigee

my dad was one – deceased many yrs but remember his call sign G3BRE – think the G3 gives away the age we had boxes of valves and huge ariels in the garden – used to get cards from all over the world by post “QSL” cards ? confirming contact – even had one from an Egyptian president – times were less troubled I guess

jock-muttley
    Free Member

I’m an Intermidiate here 2E0XRG

Got involved in radio through Motorsport – Stage Rallying to be precise. The very nature of the location of the sport -like MTB- dictates that you can be in far flung remote places with little or no mobile coverage ergo comms between you and your support crew can be ropey.

CB just doesnt cut the mustard rangewise so it was a simple decision, that and the Motorsport Club I was in actively encouraged members to get qualified. Took my foundation via the club, a year later upgraded to the intermidiate to access more power.

I’ve only ever used it for event safety cover, remote comms and chatting to mates, never got into the “this is ahh not tokyo” palaver.

Used to use it when I was driving silly milages for a living to chat via internet repeaters – i.e. I could have a chat with someone in the US by the route of my radio – internet tranciever – internet – internet tranciever – their radio

Used to chat with this lad as he drove up a mountain every morning in montana to work, think he was a forester or something…. slightly surreal at times when i think about it.

Anyway useful skill to have.

moreupsthandownz
    Free Member

Sticks head above parapet, G0XAI here, prior to that G7BPC. Still active, mainly listen more than transmit.

Congrats Danny, good to have another nerd in the group! 😀

dannybgoode

Geeks FTW!!

Its something I have wanted to do since I was about 14 so thought why the heck not.

Also in the back of my mind is hobbies that will be good to do with babybgoode when he is a bit older and this teachers such range of skills – science, geography, communication skills etc.

@mikews – I started on Hamsphere, actually a very clever piece of software. Good fun to dabble with if yo really can’t be arsed doing the whole license thing

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh that’s weird – moreupsthandownz – I used to hold the call sign G7BPD!!!

Maybe I’ll get back into it one day. Probably digital stuff would interest me these days…

Rachel

dannybgoode

Some of the Software Defined Radio kit looks very interesting. Basically using a PC to do all the sound DSP work, tuning etc and the box to do the transmitting.

Does all the digital modes with more ease as well.

Hmmm, where to find £1500 for the box…

moreupsthandownz
    Free Member

Danny you’ll enjoy it it is a great hobby and worth the ribbing you may get from some people. Maybe catch you on there at some stage, post your call sign when you get it.

Rachel well I never that is a coincidence to post on here and be so close on call signs!

Simon

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Any hams in the house?’ is closed to new replies.