Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any good deals on Shimano or Magura brakes?
  • woodster

Trying to finish off a bike build, but don’t want to spend too much. Merlin have a Shimano MT400 set at £55, but don’t know whether they’d be any good. Anyone seen any bargains?

pickle
    Free Member

Can’t fault my Doere 4 pots which are about £120 a set from bike discount

davros

Merlin have slx m7000 set for 110. Doubt you’d get anything better for that money

matt_outandabout

Can’t fault my Doere 4 pots which are about £120 a set from bike discount

Can’t fault my Deore 4 pots which are £100 a set from BikeInn. 😉

johnw1984
    Free Member

Think I paid £113 from Bike Discount for the Shimano 4 pots and they’re really good!

campgareth
    Free Member

Magura MT4s tend to be cheap, a quick Google shows them at chain reaction cycles for £60 but out of stock.

qwerty
    Free Member

Check out Clarks M3 and Magura MT2, best bang for buck at the budget end.

woodster

The Deore 4 pots would be ideal, but sadly it seems they’re up to £120 on Bikeinn which is a bit rich for me. I do have a spare MT7 caliper which I’d be tempted to use, but I’m going off the MT400s now as they seem to be a 2 finger design. Magura levers aren’t my favourite although I have a spare one too I think, so if the hose is long enough I ought to just get a 2 pot Magura for the rear.

dc2.0

Unused/unfitted set of Deore 6000 in OEM packaging for £80 posted here if anyone wants them

arogers
    Free Member

There’s always the “Shigura” option for using that MT7 caliper. Shimano levers work with Magura calipers.

PJay
    Free Member

Merlin have slx m7000 set for 110. Doubt you’d get anything better for that money

I’ve had years of great service out of my older SLX M685 brakes from Merlin.

Some stores on the continent are showing the newer 7100 seriesSLX brake sets as in stock but there’ll be postage on top (no idea if these offer any performance benefits over the earlier models).

All that said, good old Deore brakes have always seemed great.

peekay

@woodster I have a set of Shimano MT500 that I have just taken off a bike and replaced with XTs after only a few months use. Yours for £20, or £30 with a 180 and a 160 6bolt rotor. Will even chuck in two part worn and two new sets of pads.

woodster

@peekay Perfect. I’ve sent you a message.

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone. I may end up using the Magura caliper on the front if I need more power.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any good deals on Shimano or Magura brakes?’ is closed to new replies.