Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any good alternatives to Nukeproof/DT 12mm RWS?
  • GavinB

Got a NP Mega a month or so back, and the only niggle that I have with it is the 12mm RWS that comes with the frame (branded Nukeproof/DT Swiss). OK, so I have big feet, and my size 12s may have bumped it when I had the lever pointed ‘forward’, but I’ve also experimented with the lever pointed every other way, and invariably finish a ride, and find the lever has slackened off by up to 90 deg. Not happy 😕

The other systems I’ve got or have used are a DH-style ‘bolt through’ with pinch bolts on the frame, and a Rockshox Maxle. Neither of these has ever come undone or slackened off. The biggest difference I see I’m losing with the DT Swiss RWS is that the whole system relies on the tension being held in the screw-thread, as there is no cam/wedge to hold/jam the axle/maxle in place.

So, has anyone else found this an issue? Is my only option to buy a 12mm Maxle?

GavinB

Bumpety bump.

Has no-one had an issue with a 12mm RWS?

spev

I did have the same problem last week but put it down to me clipping it on a gate at Afan. I did think about tapping a thread into the drive side of it so I could fit a bolt.

GavinB

So far, I’ve put it down to clipping it with my foot, then shifted the position of the lever, so I couldn’t hit it. Got to the bottom of a long descent in the Lakes last week, and it had loosened by about 1/4 turn. That’s rubbish – never had a Maxle loosen off as the cam keeps the axle under tension, more than just the screwthread thats holding it.

Is the thread pitch for a Maxle the same as a RWS?

boxxer7
    Free Member

Not had any problem with mine other than the tread being different to the drop out! 😯 (cut a new thread on it when I got it) how tight do you do it up?

GavinB

Not stupid tight, as I’m keen not to strip the threads and also the cam from the RWS. Just seems that a Maxle holds itself closed with less tension than you have to tension a RWS.

Mugboo

No problems here on my Mega.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

A maxle will fit – I swapped mine over last night for the same reasons. The Nukeproof axle relies on the knurling to stay tight, prefer the cam on the maxle.

GavinB

Thanks guys, really appreciate the replies. I think I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a Maxle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any good alternatives to Nukeproof/DT 12mm RWS?’ is closed to new replies.