Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any Geomatics/land surveyors here?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any recommendations for training and how to get into it.

I’m an experienced Architectural technician so I am use to BIM, CAD, building surveying etc., as well as studying map data.

mikey74
    Free Member

Long shot bump!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Working as a “chain boy” is the usual way I guess.

I’m not sure there are any “courses” any more on this sort of thing but if you studied construction, there would be surveying elements within that.

I work as a freelance surveyor / engineer after jacking in my corporate nonsense job a few years ago but started as a Land Surveyor in the 1990’s on proper instruments, way before GPS. I worked as a chain boy for a year or so after doing an HND in Civil Engineering etc.

I am finding that there are surveyors and there are CAD technicians, not many surveyors seem to be capable of both. Im my opinion, it is essential as you survey with the end drawing in mind regarding string lines etc. As you already use CAD, you will have a good grounding for becoming a surveyor because you know what it takes to make a drawing, how to generate coordinates from it for setting out etc.

Get in touch, I might be able to give you a days experience if there;s a job I’m on near to you.

jag61

slight thread hijack, I am looking to return to site eng. work but a lot of ads asking for ‘robotic total station ‘experience, how accurate are these setups ? how easy/hard to learn from scratch? thanks

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers Luke. I may take you up on that if you are working down south.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any Geomatics/land surveyors here?’ is closed to new replies.