Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any frontier/outbacker stove users ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Anyone got one of these lightweight portable stoves ?

Keep ending up at these for a bit of heat out the back .

Highly dislike chimneas ….you always end up sitting in smoke.

How does the light weight material of this style stove stand up to use ? I’m thinking of plumbing it in under a 3 sided porch area at my back door for a bit of outsidw chilling out

Does it stand a chance of providing enough heat for that or is it pissing in the wind ?

Vader
    Free Member

we lived in a bell tent last year for 10 weeks, spring and summer. We borrowed a frontier and used it virtually every night (we were quite high up), with some very frosty nights early on. Basically it was great. I am pretty sure it was a 100 quid job with some additional flue sections and a spark arrester. It was a bit smokey to start until you get a draw going, then fine. The firebox isn’t massive so there’s regular restoking – smaller split sections of log were much better than larger chunks. As it is thin steel the heat can drop away, we just piled bricks on it and got them hot for when it finally went out overnight. I’d buy one if I didn’t have the chance to borrow it again.

We cooked on it, boiled water, dried socks on the rails. Couldn’t fault it

It is possible to dint it but it was pretty robust, and i’d say fixable within reason as it is very simple

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good to hear , the reason I ended up looking at these stoves was I figured the light weight materials would mean the time from lighting to heat being given out would be shorter.

Downside would be as you say heat dropping off quickly.

It’s the hygge I’m looking at rather than the basic model but I was assuming it carried the same basic principals through.

db

Had a frontier for about 6 years now. Still going strong, bit rusty but serviceable. Used to use it with my lavvu over winter when I stayed near the office. 😟 not been used this year

ajantom

Got an outbacker portable stove.
    Was about £115.
    Used it on various camping trips for a couple of years now, and it’s great.
    Lights very easily, and pumps out a decent amount of heat.
    Smallish capacity means you have to put wood in relatively often, but it’s more efficient than a fire pit.
    You don’t end up with much ash or bits of wood left over.

As a DT teacher I often ‘recycle’ lots of yr7 and 8 woodwork projects 😆

Seems very robust so far. In fact on out last camping outing last weekend, one of our fellow campers makes crazy sculptural log burners/stoves for festivals, and he said he was impressed by the build quality.

trail_rat
    Free Member

https://outbackerstoves.co.uk/collections/tent-stoves/products/outbacker-firebox-flame-portable-tent-stove

This took my eye. Early Xmas to me..

Was only 329 when I bought for some reason up to 350 now.

Will look good in my yet to be built porch at the back door but love the stainless look and 270 degree look at the fire .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any frontier/outbacker stove users ?’ is closed to new replies.