Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Any experts on electrical substations??
  • astura
    Free Member

We have just bought a house in a small rural village and around 5m from our house is an substation which i have looked up on western power shows it pumps out 11kw and has a hv capacity on 170kw. I rang up western power last night as i have noticed a hum from the unit and wondering if there is anything wrong with it, they are coming out in the next few days.

Can anyone put my mind at ease i have two very young children, and other than the obvious climbing up the fence, is there anything else i should be worried about with being close to it. I always new there was a substation when we bought the property but never noticed the hum til i read about it.

any help greatly appreciated!

trail_rat
    Free Member

got a dell laptop ? the small multi voltage transformer power pack that comes with them hums.

Id imagine the substations just a much bigger version.

anyway at worst itll go pop and the power will be cut – i wouldnt expect any great explosions

*i am not a Western power employee 😉

globalti
    Free Member

What a can of worms.

The hum is normal, it’s the standard 50hz hum of an electrical appliance at work.

To worry about the electromagnetic field is also normal but there’s no proof that it does you any harm – or if there is, it’s been covered up very effectively over the decades.

leffeboy

As above. 11kW of power is very little really, maybe enough for a few homes on average. As a reference I used to work with a 50kW power supply on my bench. The hum is just mechanical and you don’t tend to hear it so much these days as most power supplies for equipment these days run at a much higher frequency that you can’t hear

Your biggest risk is just worrying about it really and that is much more difficult to deal with. There are books (e.g. this one) or you could even buy a field strength meter but they may just make things worse by making you focus more on the ‘problem’. I would just try and get used to it if you can. We have trains pass by the bottom of the garden and after a few months I no longer even hear them when they go by

maxtorque

A “substation” is a transformer. In is used to change the line voltage. because high voltages are used to transfer power over long distances (as it is more efficient). However, running your house on 11kV would be dangerous, as high voltage can “jump” or “arc” large distances.

So, these substations take the high voltage low current power and use a transformer to reduce that to a lower voltage but higher current.

The system runs on an alternating voltage at 50hz (50 cycles per second) and this sinusoidally varying voltage is used to create a magnetic field within the primary windings of the transformer. That field is then re-captured by the secondard windings and turned back into electricity (at a lower voltage in this case).

These transformers hum because the magnetic field causes parts of the transformer to vibrate (at 50Hz), just like a loudspeaker coil does. To maximise efficiency a typical transformer will be over 99% efficient, in effect much less than 1% of the magnetic field will “escape” and leak out.

Transformers tend to get noisier as they age, as when new all the windings and laminations in the core are tightly packed and well supported, but as they vibrate over the years they tend to get a bit looser and hum a bit more.

Crucially, magnetic field strength reduces with the square of the distance from the emitter, so if you are more than a foot or so from the transformer, the magnetic field strength leaking from it will be less than that created by the earths natural magnetic field!

In summary, unless it arcs, overheats then explodes, you are quite safe!

maxtorque

BTW: it’ll be 11kV and 170kW

I’d guess that the fact “they are coming out in the next few days” means that everything is fine and they just said that to reassure you.
    Try telling them you can see smoke and sparks and see how quickly they come out. 😀

leffeboy

BTW: it’ll be 11kV and 170kW

That makes way more sense, tx. 11kw sounded tiny really

mike88
    Free Member

I work for western power and yes all subs do hum. Obviously i don’t know how loud yours is so couldn’t fully comment!
    As for the kids i really wouldn’t worry…the subs will be pretty secure and they would have to get in and start touching stuff to get a zap. Magnetic fields….i wouldn’t worry especially as the voltages are relatively low..11,000 to 230v. I would be worried if you had one of the 400,000v national grid lines over your house.

Hope this helps.

wrecker
    Free Member

overheats then explodes

When they go, they GO!!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fzbQjd_Oo4Q[/video]

leffeboy

that post may not have helped…. 🙂

murf
    Free Member

On the plus side I bet your Ze (earth fault loop impedance?) is nice and low 🙂

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

I would be worried if you had one of the 400,000v national grid lines over your house.

Go on…

footflaps

In regard to transformers on poles and transformers on the ground in residential neighborhoods, probably not. The magnetic field is very high close to these units, but drops off rapidly as one moves away. At 4 to 5 feet the field is usually down to background levels, and people are seldom that close for a significant period of time. On the other hand, the wires feeding into and out of the transformer produce fields that may not drop off as quickly. The real question is: How close are these wires (underground or overhead) and how high is their field?

http://www.emfservices.com/faqs.htm

igm

Guys, those pics are not of 11/415 subs. Stop winding the OP up.

KonaTC

I would be worried if you had one of the 400,000v national grid lines over your house.

Go on…

please do tell as there is nice section of Bridleway/Singletrack near to my house which is directly under a section of high voltage power lines, scares me s#!t-less when its damp/raining; buzzing, crackling, so much so it’s become a weather dependant route.

wrecker
    Free Member

Guys, those pics are not of 11/415 subs.

No, the vid is of a little baby one. 11kVa trannies are BEASTS. 😀

globalti
    Free Member

That’s a good picture of a bund wall doing it’s job retaining flaming liquid.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Your kids will be fine, as long as you don’t let them play with kites, frisbees, footballs or anything else from a 70’s public information film

antigee

mate of mine had one on nextdoor for many years then it got taken away and he bought the land for next to nothing and doubled his garage – not quite a fairy tale but a sort of happy ending – his kid plays drums in a band – make what you will of that

project
    Free Member

Try on a dark night, taking a large flourecent tube with you and holding it near the fence, and see it light up.

Also works under overhead wires.

DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELECTRICAL WITH IT THOUGH.

maxtorque

If i lived close to a large substation or HV lines, i’d get busy building my own “field” capturing transformer to power my house for free!

(not sure if this is legally theft? After all, the electric field is leaking out anyway, i just happen to be capturing it afterwards? The same as putting a bucket under a leaky water main??)

maxtorque

T1000
    Free Member

[If i lived close to a large substation or HV lines, i’d get busy building my own “field” capturing transformer to power my house for free!

(not sure if this is legally theft? After all, the electric field is leaking out anyway, i just happen to be capturing it afterwards? The same as putting a bucket under a leaky water main??)]

unfortunately thats wishfull thinking…. if they catch you they will prosecute……. although you may well burn your house down / fry yourself 1st…. if you don’t earth one side of the windings your going to have some unpleasantly high pd’s floating around….

please film it if you do have a go 😯

cheekyboy
    Free Member

The real reason transformers hum is very simple

They don’t know the words.

Ive got me coat, I’m off !

molgrips
    Free Member

not sure if this is legally theft? After all, the electric field is leaking out anyway

If you draw any current this way then it’ll affect the way the transformer works and cause more current to be drawn from the primary coil so yes you will be stealing electricity.

The energy you’d use gotta come from somewhere.

Cougar

Tinfoil hats conduct electricity. What to do?!

fabs

I wouldn’t be particularly worried about the electric or magnetic fields. Normally the fields will be stronger at your cutout (supplier fuse) than anywhere else on your property. This is simply because the incoming cable has greater current than the other circuits in your house and there is no shielding at the plastic cutout. Every house with electricity has one!

I assume it is a pole mounted transformer connecting an 11kV overhead line to the local LV (mains voltage) network?

If so make sure the kids don’t climb up the pole, or throw things at it! Always keep a decent distance from any high voltage conductors.

If trees or bushes start to grow close to the bare metal conductors, phone the distribution network company. (saves you a power cut if they chop the undergrowth back before they grow into the line.) Also don’t be tempted to do any tree surgery / hedge trimming / waving fishing rods or tent poles nearby!

Plenty of safety advise at HSE website

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/gs6.pdf

astura
    Free Member

Its the fenced in type not overhead, there no overhead cables coming from it

benslow
    Free Member

Theres some low power lines on a ride I do and everytime I go underneath on the bike I get a shock to the bits – thought i’d been stung first time it happened ..

😯

mike88
    Free Member

What i said was i would be more worried compared to 11kv! Its still not been proven about any health problems although Im sure there was a program on tv about them years ago trying to. Some of you lot know alot more theory than i do anyway.!
    Iv always been tempted to try the fluorescent light trick…looks pretty cool.

I find it very unlikely you are getting a shock from an oh line…it would have to be very low in which case i reckon you’d get more than a tickle!

benslow
    Free Member

I always thought it was my cheapo nylon Altura shorts …

But, its defo a proper stinging shock and I can’t avoid it …

Lines prob 15-20m up ?

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you want to hear humming, you should hear the 400kv 700Mva transformers where I work. 😉

mike88
    Free Member

No idea then..i was gonna say static shock from your shorts or a ball hair getting ripped out!!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Any experts on electrical substations??’ is closed to new replies.