Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any experience of planning a driving route around Tour de France road closures?
  • offthebrakes
    Free Member

I’ll be driving down from Dieppe to Sauze d’Oulx in a few weeks, unfortunately trying to fight my way via Chambery and Modane on 24th July, while the TdF is weaving its way across the area.

Anyone know where to get detailed info on road closures and timings so I can figure out whether it’s feasible or not?

Thanks.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Have you had a look at the Official website. Roadmaps for all the stages and timeschedule. Although schedule is estimated and will depend on how hard the riders are trying

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2015/us/stage-20.html

based on when I went to see Tour in Brittany few years back the route was closed about an hour or so before the caravan came through, then was open superfast again after the broomwagon went past. Might be a bit more messy in start.finish towns though.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve had a look at the race schedule, was wondering if there was any more detailed info on which off-route roads were closed – like something that a local authority would produce.

I’m going to have to go through two start towns (St Jean de Maurienne and Modane), although I’m hoping that the former will have re-opened by the time I get there, and the latter won’t be closed yet.

mugsys_m8

Each department will have. For example: Isere

Don’t forget the road between Bourg d’Oisans and La Grave is currently closed. I heard today they are trying to get it open for 20th July.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Cheers.

edhornby

depends on how popular the stage will be though, for the well attended ones they close early

I know that the Yorkshire was a special case but the roads were closed at 6am and you had bob all chance of navigating afterwards due to the volume of spectators

[edit] just looked at the route – this is the Alpe D’huez finish, avoid at all costs !!!

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Yes, Modane to Alp d’Huez is 25th July, I need to get through Modane on the E70 on 24th July, so I need to find out what time (if at all) the E70 closes.

But also get through St Jean de Maurienne first (also on the E70), which is the start of the stage on 24th July.

Luckily I don’t need to drive up to Alpe d’Huez itself – I’m just passing through, not trying to watch the race!

It looks like the E70 possibly doesn’t close at all, as it is off-course on both days, but I need to find out for sure.

Edric64
    Free Member

Having tried to cross a stage route ,once they are shut they are shut and the friendly French police enforce it with an iron hand .We had to drive miles to cross the route from our campsite to see the finish on one stage

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any experience of planning a driving route around Tour de France road closures?’ is closed to new replies.