• This topic has 68 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jruk.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Any Ex Londoners – do you miss it / regret moving
  • kimbers

the missus and i are considering heading out of london too, gettin older, kids etc

problem is job wise wed both need to be near a big city

which is the problem, probably only edinburgh that we like enough

my biggest issue with scotland is the weather!

mrflaky
    Free Member

I love working in London, but wanted better access to the countryside and the folks up North, so live out in Hertfordshire, 30mins on the train to work, trains run later than the tube so can still have nights out after work and pop in at the weekends.

I love the buzz and energy of London, but need greenery!bonus is that I can ride my mountain bike out the door and be in the countryside in 5 mins, big downside is figuring out how we can afford to buy a decent sized house down here!

philconsequence
    Free Member

have you thought about swinley kinbers? good access to m4, m3, a30 etc etc, close enough to lahndan to commute, lots of greenery and so forth.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, so move not too far away then.. Trains are great, if you miss the rides buy a foldie and cycle in from a station.

tomtomthepipersson

Grew up on the side of a hill in rural wales ( or ‘an isolated and sparsely populated area of moorland’ according to wikipedia), went to that London about 3 times before moving there when I was about 25 ish.

Stayed for about 8 years then moved out into Herts about 5 years ago to have kids. I love London and travel in everyday at the moment as I freelance all over the city. Love leaving it at the end of the day though – love seeing the scenery change from graffiti scrawled sidings to lush green fields (They make me happy and reminds me of childhood)

Wouldn’t want to be any further out than where I am now – can pop in with the kids or for a night out for drinks/food/a show/a mooch – haven’t found anywhere that compares. And it’s only 35 mins back home. And I have the Chilterns on my doorstep.

clubber
    Free Member

I grew up in London and loved it. Post-uni I lived there for four years. My wife and I moved to Bristol 10 years ago (where we were both at uni) for a few reasons – my wife didn’t really want to stay there, I was about to quit rowing (the sport not fighting!) and so didn’t need to be in London/Henley for it, we wanted to buy a house but couldn’t see us being able to do that in London somewhere we wanted for some time. Also we never really made the most of living in London – eg going out in town, etc. With quitting rowing I was also keen to move somewhere with better cycling (mtbing in particular).

We certainly don’t regret it – in fact it’s been great. Bristol’s a great place to live and we’re very happy here. People we left behind are where we’d probably be if we hadn’t moved and I certainly don’t envy them – we live in what I’d consider a nicer environment, a nicer house, a better standard of life, shorter commutes and with great cycling.

The only downer I can really think of is that my family are still in London so I don’t see them so much but it’s only a couple of hours’ drive away.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Brought up in Cardiff, not that IS an awesome place to grow up as a kid you have everything in once place, city, hills and countryside and the sea. Went to Uni and afterwards didn’t feel ready to go back to Cardiff so got on a train at 21 and went to London with a mate, no job. Lived in bedsits whilst job hunting and got a decent well paid job for a 21 year old. She loved it (she’s originally from Glasgow!) and I HATED it. I spent 2 years hating everything about London, the manicness, the fact it takes 45 minutes to go ANYWHERE, the fact no one talks to each other, you all sit on the tube in utter miserable silence, the tube stinks is hot hideous place, cycling anywhere was like a death trap, riding a bike was sh** and sucked. Struggled to meet people as such an un friendly place despite attempting to join clubs and teh like, it’s ridiculously expensive.

Got away after 2 years and don’t miss a thing about it, I don’t really look back on my time there with particularly fond memories, although it was a good learning and growing up experience. I would never go back there. Still trying to get back to Cardiff although not sure that will ever happen, but now I’m near countryside and hills and City, just desperately miss the sea and MTBing from the door step. Hey ho you can’t have everything in life.

clubber
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    which is the problem, probably only edinburgh that we like enough

my biggest issue with scotland is the weather!

Since TJ isn’t here any more, I’ll act as a proxy and proclaim that Edinburgh is the dryest place in Europe (or something like that 🙂 )

chakaping
    Free Member

big downside is figuring out how we can afford to buy a decent sized house down here!

I’ll do you a special STW price on my place. You’ll have to pay by Paypal gift though.

kilo

You’d think London was the fifth circle of hell from some of the posts here 😀

Not being insulting it does seem that a lot of the posters on this thread are people from the country / provinces come to London didn’t like it or ultimately want to stay for whatever reason and have moved back to something similar they were brought up in – not realy a great shock.

clubber
    Free Member

London’s great – I was very happy living there. It’s just that for me at least, other places offer more. Plenty of people have a difference balance and wouldn’t live anywhere else. It’s just that some people can’t see anything other than their own pov…

FWIW, regardling unfriendly Londoners, IME it’s the non-Londoner Londoners who are the worst for this… maybe because they’re so miserable living there 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

I never thought I would say this but I think we might be getting to the end of our time living in London. I love the place but my kids are getting older and I’d like them to have a bit more of a rural existense. Have spent the day on google maps and findaproperty looking at towns out in Bucks. Chiltern Hills and grammar schools ticks all the box’s. Mrs McBoo and I will be working in London for the forseeable future so cant have too long a commute so wont be leaving as such.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Miss the London of my childhood and teen/early twenties years

Born and lived there for forty years and it got progressively dirtier and house prices reached crazy heights even in less than great areas.

Moved when my daughter reached school age, didn’t want her to be disadvantaged where all the money was spent on non english speakers and problem cases

Lovely seeing the stars in a dark sky and the air is so much clearer, so all in all glad I lived there in better times, but leaving was the right decision.

That was vindicated when my daughter completed her studying and became an Optometrist thanks to what I think was a better education than she would have received in a deprived London borough comprehensive.

Still miss strolling over to watch the Orient and having a pint in the Birkbeck

chakaping
    Free Member

I miss the London of The Sweeney.

When villains had sideburns that would put Wiggo to shame and there were huge derelict warehouse complexes all across the city, perfect for car chases and shootouts.

BadlyWiredDog

I miss easy access to decent independent cinema and that’s about it.

Grew up in London, used to love it, still enjoy visiting, but living there felt like being encased in concrete, too far from mountains.

Live in the Peak now. Wouldn’t go back for anything. And oddly, last time I was there, it reminded me of Lima… 😉

hora
    Free Member

I miss D’Aldo’s in Covent garden and the Korean place off Oxford circius

jota180
    Free Member

I have a clause in my contract that says I don’t have to work in London 🙂

Years ago when they [the co. I work for] wanted me to come back to them, I refused as I hated working in London and it was a deal breaker so they gave me an opt out

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Spent 15 years in London. Moved to Sheff just under a year ago. Still work in London though – do 3ish days a week from home, 2ish in the office or on site in London.

I love(d) working in London, due to the nature of my job I’m on a whole array of sites, most of them of great historic or architectural interest, some of which aren’t open to the public and that I’d miss horribly in another job. Commuting around t’Smoke by bike rocks as well. There’s just a buzz to the place.

On the other hand I hated living there. We’re both decent earners and could only afford a 2 bed flat in a barely OK area. We spent all our spare time and a hell of a lot of cash getting out of London whenever we could to go biking.

We traded all that in for a BIG house in a great area. I’m 5 mins on the MTB from the woods and 15 mins on the roadie from the moors. I can get an hour blast in at luchtime, or I can ride brilliant singletrack from my doorstep of an evening. Or walk. Or climb.

Sheff city centre ain’t great, but then I’ve only felt the need to visit it maybe 10 times in 10 months… Working from home rocks, and I’m only 2h45mins from the office by train and brompton.

Altogether I don’t miss living there in the slightest!

saxabar
    Free Member

Another cliche here too: London swapped for the Snowdonia national park border.
    Do I regret it? Mostly never, and if so I head down for a few days. When in London I never made much use of the cultural stuff and hankered for the hills. Now here I sometimes miss the hurly-burly of London, but then I remember morning trains like sardine cans vs. my morning commute here along a 6 mile cycle path. Saying that, I think the internet makes a huge difference to living rurally and I’m not sure I’d be so keen without it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Londons a great place, I grew up in rural Kent with no access to anything decent as public transport was non existent, I love the countryside but find it restrictive after a while, at least in London I can go and do anything I fancy at the drop of a hat, my work is varied and enjoyable I doubt I would feel the same if I had to do tube-office-tube-home every day of the week.
    The provinces are too ‘provincial’ I’m not ready for that insular existence just yet.

hora
    Free Member

We used to love jumping on the tube then seeing the night unfold randomly.

like spinning a Roulette wheel 8)

I still laugh about the gay strip bar that I went into with two girls for a dare 😮

emanuel
    Free Member

You can never really go back to a place,asides it makes you feel old.it’s not the same place anymore.
    I grew up in london.lived all over.went away when I was 16.
    There are few places where people don’t look to other places for inspiration.London is one of them.
    Never found that again,it does make all the other places I’ve lived feel provincial.
    Having said that i’ve never chosen to live somewhere similar,ie,NY,or tokio,

Miss it,and don’t.
    like most things in life.

molgrips
    Free Member

at least in London I can go and do anything I fancy at the drop of a hat

I agree – except for mountain biking or other outdoor pursuits 🙂

my work is varied and enjoyable

Actually, this is a biggie. In my line of work (software development), most of the interesting companies doing cool stuff are in London or the South East at least. My career was transformed in London. Out in the provinces work is generally pretty dull.

djglover
    Free Member

at least in London I can go and do anything I fancy at the drop of a hat

I can’t do that where ever I live, I have 2 pre school children. But yeah, I used to be able to, but often the cost in taxis was eye watering. Getting a taxi from Soho to Ealing alone – £50 😯 . I won’t miss that

MrSmith
    Free Member

I agree – except for mountain biking or other outdoor pursuits

32mins on the train to dorking for a bit of surrey hills action, though these days I’m more likely to head out on the road bike to either Surrey or the decent north downs riding either side of the m25. The only other outdoor stuff I do is shooting at the weekend which is down in Kent an hour away on the high speed link.

It’s not the northern Scottish alps or north Wales, nor does it pretend to be but i feel lucky to have that access and be close to central London , it’s the outlying suburbs with their ‘not London’ atmosphere that I don’t get, all the drawbacks with non of the pluses. I’ll still leave London one day and end up in the country but that will be when I’m tired of London and looking for somewhere to die.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Decent food and a reasonable price and a wide selection. As others have said that there are some good pubs e.t.c but on the whole food quality is lower outside London for a similar price meal. I’m not talking posh restaurants here, just small cheap places and take outs. Other than that nothing. I think its competition in action.

molgrips
    Free Member

32mins on the train to dorking for a bit of surrey hills action

Far more trouble than riding from your front door though, which is what you can do in many other places.

it’s the outlying suburbs with their ‘not London’ atmosphere that I don’t get, all the drawbacks with non of the pluses

Well, it’s for work, innit.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Far more trouble than riding from your front door though, which is what you can do in many other places

Really? I must get out more!
    Its far more trouble than a lot of things, like buying a pint of milk or going to the post office. If MTB riding from my door was no 1 priority I wouldn’t live in London, I wouldn’t even live in the U.K.

jruk
    Free Member

We moved from East Dulwich to Exeter(ish) 3 years ago tomorrow. Do I regret it? Not a bit. Do I miss some of it? Yes.

London’s the greatest city in the world and I had an amazing time visiting mates every weekend from ~18 up to my early 20s then living there until my early 30s – working in Soho / Covent Garden was great – but once mini jr arrived we legged it.

We could have moved out but stayed close enough to commute but we didn’t fancy leaving the house at 7.00 every morning and getting back 12+ hours later. I’d rather see my wife on a regular basis and watch the monster grow up. By cutting my commute down to something sensible I got 18 DAYS of my life back.

I miss the clubbing and drinking and being able to get whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it but that’s more about being early 20s with no commitments than being in London.

If you’re going to live in a city in the UK it needs to be London, Manchester is a village in comparison (iirc popluation is 8.2m v 500k).

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Any Ex Londoners – do you miss it / regret moving’ is closed to new replies.