Any doctors in the house care to offer their opinion of what is up with me?

• This topic has 68 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by  DrP.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Any doctors in the house care to offer their opinion of what is up with me?
  • sharkbait

When I had pancreatitis caused by gall stones the pain would last for hours and not seconds.

But was probably more advanced than yours.
    Anyway, get it checked as I got rushed to a&e and spent 10 days in hospital followed by surgery a couple of months later.

Have you been attacked by someone wielding a fire poker recently? 😉

Well, if you’re the chap in my recent clinical reasoning exam it’s kidney stones but only present on one side as you had previously donated a kidney to a sister. You’re also suffering acute kidney injury and might have autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease 🤔 . I *may* have got carried away on that particular paper.

Have you checked you’ve got two kidneys? Have you? Have you a sister? Have you donated a kidney and forgotten?

(Yep, ask a real doctor but Gaul stones sounds a good shout)

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Gaul stone?

Premier Icon mmannerr
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

If you wait a bit longer, and it _is_ gallstones, then when it does finally strike properly you will get rushed to A&E in an ambulance just in case you’re having a heart attack.

You can tell them as often as you like that you’re *not* having a heart attack but they just ignore you. Experts, they just think they know it all!

Pro Tip: Gas and air followed by morphine will take the edge off the pain.

joshvegas

Pro Tip: Gas and air followed by morphine will take the edge off the pain.

Not for me it doesn’t doctor after doctor giving me morphine and not listening to me when I politely tell them that morphine has zero effect on me.

**** me that was a bad day (burst apoendix)

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

You say that as if it were an easy thing to do.

Yes as mentioned for abdominal pains it be easier but even if not it’s better than waiting for it to get worse.

Stevet1

Thanks for all those replies. There doesn’t seem much the NHS would do if it is gallstones unless I’m in crippling pain then they whip the gallbladder out. Pain only lasts a few seconds though, I’d this typical for gallstones initially? Can I look forward to it lasting much longer?
    Don’t want to bother the gp unnecessarily. I’ll see how it goes over the next few days

chewkw

As per TJ.
    Trapped air?

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Check your surroundings. Are you in a boxing ring? If so you might be getting jabbed by your opponent. If not it’s definitely the bad cat aids.

Do you drive a lot, or sit for ages? I get similar sounding pains (??) in the same area – saw a physio who prescribed simple exercises, which help hugely.

Good luck in trying to see a doctor….

Stevet1

even if not it’s better than waiting for it to get worse.

What would a GP do though?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Diagnose it, setup a pathway of care and give you peace of mind.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Thirty years of hurt

Never stopped him reaming

DrP

As has been said, with chasing to your gp about…
    Prob end up having an ultrasound.. Then depending on what it shows, can have a valid chat about the next steps…
    I. E “try putting less fingers up your anus” for example..

DrP

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

Interesting. I had exact same symptoms twice about 8 years ago. (Both times after lot of driving in retrospect, last time after a 10 hour drive through Spain). Had ultrasound to check for for gallstones/kidney stones. Nothing. Never did get to the bottom of it but I came to my own conclusion that is was caused by trapped wind, possibly due to something like a small internal intestinal hernia caused by sitting for too long. Anyway, not had a repeat episode since. Good luck, hope yours goes away as I can still remember my mates laughing at me as I lay in a tent all night in Santander crippled with pain and groaning the night through as the spasms swept over me.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

I. E “try putting less fingers up your anus” for example.

FFS DrP(R): FEWER fingers up your anus – FEWER !!!!!

chevychase

Go the effing doctor you effing idiot.

tjagain

All GPs will have time available for urgent things. Mine see everyone with an urgent need who turn up before 9am

Its just they willnot let these appointments go for routine or non urgent stuff

deadkenny

Shingles?

Call Shaky.

sharkbait

My GP diagnosed my gallstones issue as gastric reflux even though I said that I knew what that felt like…. And it wasn’t that.

Glad Dr P isn’t my GP, there seems to be an unhealthy desire to insert fingers in anus.

Premier Icon athy62
    Subscriber

I went to doctor for a prostate check. Before he started he said it was normal for men to get an erection during the procedure! I told him that no way would that happen to me. He said he didn’t mean me!!!!

DrJ

“Visit your GP”

You say that as if it were an easy thing to do.

It is easy. The difficult part is predicting six weeks in advance when you’ll be ill.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

The difficult part is predicting six weeks in advance when you’ll be ill.

I just having a rolling 10am Monday appointment with my GP. If I’m a bit under the weather I show up, if not then I phone and book for the following week.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Glad Dr P isn’t my GP, there seems to be an unhealthy desire to insert fingers in anus.

Might take your mind off the abdominal pain though.

DrP

I think you’ll find it was the OP harking on* about putting fingers in his anus..i just asked HOW MANY…

DrP

(*This may not have been completely accurate..who knows… :D)

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.