Any Dirty reiver veterans out there?

Home Forum Bike Forum Any Dirty reiver veterans out there?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Any Dirty reiver veterans out there?
  • Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Do not use a road bike!
    I cannot emphasise that enough – it is absolutely not a road biking course and your bike will die.

HT would be OK – probably a bit slower than a CX/gravel bike but certainly last time I did it there were plenty of people on HT. You can get away with some fairly slick tyres – some sort of low-resistance file tread would be fine.

johnnystorm

1st time I did it on a rigid Ti 29er with 2.4″ X Kings and 2nd time on an Arkose with 40c Nanos. I was 20 mins faster on the 29er albeit was training more at that time. The route is varied enough that at any point a hardtail, cx bike, road bike or full susser would be the best option!

Pop some 2″ race kings on the Vagabond and you’ll have a happy medium.

moorsey72

Im going to try and enter the dirty reiver for next year. Thinking my most suitable bike is my genesis vagabond. Thing is i built it with alfine 8 so concerned it may be a bit heavy. The other option is to rebuild it with slx 1×11 otherwise the n+1 negotiations will start…..and probably fail as got a rourkie on order at the mo and promised that would be the last bike 😕

Also have a hardtail and road bike but not sure they would be suitable. Any advice woyld be much appreciated.

jonba

I know a few fast guys who did it on CX bikes the first time. This year they were on their race hardtails. My knowledge of Kielder suggests this is wise. Gravel is loose term and some of the tracks theat I know well on Kielder contain are rough.

I wouldn’t rebuild your bike if you go down that route. Realistically how much lighter will it be?

Unless you are trying to win i’d just bob some 40-45mm fast tyres on. I rode most of the route last weekend on 40mm tyres with bikepacking luggage on on my CX.

Picto

Did it on a pickenflick with 1×11. Fitted 40mm wtb nano tyres set uo tubeless. Or thought it was a good option. Will go with a faster rolling tyre next year but still 40mm.

Seeing the number of punctures on the course tubeless is definitely the way to go.

moorsey72

I’m definitely not a contender for the podium 😯 will just be happy to make it round within the cutoff to be honest.

Thanks for the tips, think Ill change the tyres on the vagabond and get some miles in. Was just a bit concerned about the alfine as I’ve heard there’s a fair bit of climbing.

It’s not so much there are any terrible climbs…there just aren’t really any flat bits 😉

joshvegas

There is only one point in the entire route where i was at the point of having no gears left.

Its just as you re enter Engerland and its about 10 meters long and you could totally get up it with momentum if the couple infront don’t stop and start chatting about how hard it is…

Instead I just slid backwards still clipped in trying to stop myself going over the back 😀

I definitely wouldn’t pick a mountainbike but i’m an idiot and quite enjoyed the one descent where some bounce or thick tyres might be nice. If its what I had though i’d be happy taking it.

GregMay

It’s a fun route. Ride your Vagabond with some faster rubber on it.

Advice, don’t get beaten up up the canal home and only be able to slurp gels due to a broken jaw two days before the ride. It’s not fun. 27 gels was interesting the next morning.

joshvegas

Soreen and haribo for the win

jonnyboi

Done it twice on a CX with 40c tubeless tyres, better gearing and flares drops.

There’s 3500m of climbing so having the right gears and saving weight is important, there are places where it’s rough enough to benefit a HT but they are outweighed by the rest of the course.

Ridden it in 40c Nanos and 1.95 Renegades, both on a hardtail, and was faster on Renegades by 2 hours.

The places I wished I had drop bars were the long exposed fireroads where there was a definite aero advantage but over 10-12 hours I’d ride the bike you’re most comfortable on.

I’m riding a rigid SS next year for what it’s worth.

moorsey72

Great info and advice! I have middle of the road gearing range the alfine 8 (36t chainring with 16t sprocket on the back) so my main concern is how harsh the gradients are. I could always swap for the alivio groupset off my high latitude if need be or sell some bits and put slx 1×11 on it.

joshvegas

I might have a bigger alfine sprocket you can have for a donation to the charity of your choice moorsey.

Gradients really arent that harsh though just long.

moorsey72

Thanks Josh, much appreciated, ive already got a spare 18t though cheers mate (due to some trial and error in getting the right ratios when i built it up).
    always an option, would just lose a bit of top end which i suppose wouldnt be a huge issue.

butcher

Definitely don’t expect hardpack unpaved roads that you’ll just cruise over on anything. They seemed to remove a couple of the roughest sections last year but some of it is still well into MTB territory. I’d recommend 40c tyres at minimum.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Have you looked out for the other threads on the same subject?

Plenty of seasoned advice on them.

moorsey72

Mmmm maybe my high latitude will be a better bet. Ill search for associated threads, actually hadnt thought to do that 😳

cr3anmachin3

replying to an oldish post here but @moorsey72 how did you get on? I’m riding an Arkose Alfine 8 40T chainring and 19T sprocket and thinking about doing this event next year. Only issue I think I have is my wheels are not tubeless ready. So rather than facing an expensive wheelbuild I may just fill the tubes with stans and pack couple of tubes.

joshvegas

Just ghetto tubeless your existjng wheels.

You will see more punctures than you’ve ever seen and you want to not be one of the unlucky ones.

Don’t think about it. Just close click go.

Premier Icon aggs
    Subscriber

Recommend Schwalbe Touring tyres, done 2 x 200km  Dirty  Reivers and all the training for both  and zero punctures with tubes, I train on similar rough roads too

40mm for the Reiver and 35mm for the training.

Premier Icon sboardman
    Subscriber

I did the 130 this year on my Arkose with the stock non-tubeless ready wheels converted to tubeless with the Stans CX kit. Ran 40C nanos and didn’t puncture at all. Aiming to do the whole shebang next year, it was a great event!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.