Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Any digital project managers out there.. career change content.
  • maxray
    Free Member

Hiya, any web based project managers frequenting this forum?

I have ben involved in web design/development for about 12 years now and have had to co ordinate some fairly big projects. Have been thinking recently about maybe trying to move away from the coding/design and focus moe on the Project Management side of things. Any advice on what to be learning and ways to try and transition across?

Cheers,

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Project management is project management, regardless of the technologies involved. Obviously having some web skills is useful when talking about web projects but be careful not to confuse your ‘new’ role with the techies role, it becomes a world of pain managing it and having to do it at the same time.

If you’ve coordinated some big projects then you’ve clearly got some experience. Was there any man-management (or person-management for the sensitive amongst us…) involved?

You probably need some skills in management tools – MS Project or the like (check Rally too). If you’ve not dealt with staff then get some experience in that.

And get used to delegating. You’ll get itchy keyboard fingers for a while thinking ‘oh, I could do that bit of the work’. But that’s not you anymore – you’ll be the one telling customers why it’s not going to plan….

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

You need to be comfortable with Agile and Prince2, though probably not certified in both. Best bet is to speak to some digital recruiters. I work with PMs, but am not one myself.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Any digital project managers out there.. career change content.’ is closed to new replies.