Any differences between a 2012 and 2014 Yeti SB66 alloy frame?

Home Forum Bike Forum Any differences between a 2012 and 2014 Yeti SB66 alloy frame?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Any differences between a 2012 and 2014 Yeti SB66 alloy frame?
  • campfreddie

As per the title.

Hob Nob

Shock?

Might take a bit longer for the back end to crack on the 2014 bike?

campfreddie

I just spotted the main difference. The 2014 frame I was looking at is the new Comp version with carbon back end. Lighter weight which is always a bonus.

Just gotta put up with canary yellow.

pinetree

Loads. The 2014 version has a carbon swingarm, is 142×12 as standard, comes with a CTDA shock, and weighs about 1.8lbs less.

Assuming you’re looking at one of the ones on CRC? You’d be better off looking around the Yeti dealers in the uk, as there were recently really good deals to be had on 2013 frames. I’m pretty sure wheelbase had some 2013 frames with the better shock for less than those old ones on CRC.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

Sb66 is alloy and carbon, sb66 comp is all alloy.

campfreddie

Ah. Got it the wrong way round.

So really there is no real difference between the 2012 sb66 frame and the 2014’sb66 comp frame. The difference would be between the 2012 and the 2014 sb66 (non comp frame)

tricky dicky

Yeah wheelbase had several medium frames last weekend for £1299 no other sizes on display though.

campfreddie

I may go for the 2012 size large white frame at rutland then.

Works out at £150 more than the 2014 yellow comp frame at alltricks.fr.

Good idea or bad idea?

Hob Nob

I’d rather have the later yellow one personally.

Did the back end not get modified at some point, a lot of the early ones cracked.

But then i’d also want to buy one from a UK supplier, because the rate they go through bearings, i’d want some support.

Hob Nob – Member

Did the back end not get modified at some point, a lot of the early ones cracked.

You can check that – if the word “Yeti” is written on the frame, usually there’s been swingarm issues.

campfreddie

The warranty should be pan-European, so surely I would just go to Silverfish with either?

Hob Nob

No, you go t the retailer.

Your warranty isn’t with the distributor, it’s with the retailer you buy it from.

campfreddie

That puts rutland back in the frame. £150 more for a 2012 frame (but not comp version).

I hate making decisions.

At least I’m focused on a sb66 as I can’t afford an evil uprising frame and missed out on all the clearance mojos.

Premier Icon justinbieber
    Subscriber

If you’re not too bothered about the colour, I’d go for as later version as possible. Mainly because the carbon rear end and associated weight saving is very appealing.

campfreddie

Yes, but apparently the sb66 ‘comp’ doesn’t have a carbon back end.

Subscriber

Ahh, gotcha. If you can get the carbon rear end then do that. If not, I think they updated the bearings in 2013, so I’d steer clear of the older model unless you buy it from somewhere you can easily deal with for potential warranty issues. That said, mine is a 2012 frame and I’ve not had any issues with it so far

campfreddie

Well 2014 from France or 2012 from Rutland cycles.

I’m thinking it is going to be 2014 from France. My secretary is French and with the £150 I save, I have money in the bank for eventualities.

campfreddie

Yellow sb66 just ordered.

Time to decide on the Pikes.

Have no idea whether it will be 135 or 142 at the back, so will have a nice surprise when it arrives.

Subscriber

I’m running 160mm slants on mine – occasionally the front gets a bit wandery on climbs, so I’m tempted to get them lowered to 150, but then I’m not sure how much difference that would actually make.

ahsf

A weld on the 2012 swing arm was cracking so they changed it on the 2013 along with upgraded bearings so I would stay away from the 2012 frames

campfreddie

150 pikes just ordered.

campfreddie

Is he headset intergrated or semi-intergrated?

Subscriber

The back end is 142×12.

campfreddie

well, the frame has arrived.

i ordered it at 20:30 on sunday night and it arrived at lunchtime today. pretty impressive from surrender-monkey-land.

first impressions are:-

* it weighs a bloody ton! having just sent the FTM carbon off to it’s new owner, it’s quite a rude awakening. The FTM was a serious lightweight trail frame (i had it well below 26lbs for a trail build with reverb, talas forks, arch ex wheels, and flat pedals) and at less than 1/3 the price of a Mojo is surely one of the biggest bike bargains out there right now.

* the quality of the paint is terrible. it is so thin that the colour is not uniform throughout.either that or it is supposed to have a slight turquiose hue in it.

* the ‘made in taiwan’ sticker on the front of the headtube is a classy touch. i like it!

with the help of Scott @ Silverfish (massively helpful chap who deserves a number of beers if i ever meet him), I have managed to work out what it is that i have actually bought.

The frame is a 2014 Yeti SB66 with the alloy rear triangle rather than the carbon (which would make it a SB66AC). This is basically the same as the 2013 frames, but with whatever bearing improvements may have been made subsequently. The frame was marketed as a SB66 Comp which was a description designed for 2014 fully-built bikes sold to the US market which used a cheaper shock and alloy rear ends (ala 2013). The reality is that this frame has actually arrived with a very shiny Kashima-coated CTD Trail Adjust shock (I was expecting just a CTD jobby).

So all in all, for circa £1150 (accounting for exchange rate charges via my credit card)delivered to my door, I think i’ve done pretty well.

As for the colour…. it’s very errr yellow… for those of you old enough, the yellow is the same shade as the original BT vans.

here is a pic

Premier Icon Normal Man
    Subscriber

You can call it buzby then 😉

Look forward to the build pics as I’ve a soft spot for Yeti.

with the help of Scott @ Silverfish (massively helpful chap who deserves a number of beers if i ever meet him), I have managed to work out what it is that i have actually bought.

I’m really pleased that Scott gave such good service but if you really want to reward him the best way you can do it is by helping him stay in a job by buying a bike Silverfish actually supply rather than purchasing from France to save money but then still using the customer service Silverfish offer for advice afterwards.
    That’s not supposed to be an arsey comment I just can’t think of a better way of wording the fact that I think it’s a bit cheeky.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I think richie makes a good point.

I’ve bought endless bargains both new and second hand but I’ve always taken the view if I can’t work through the company/person I bought it from then I’m on my own as far as support and back up is concerned.

Subscriber

Scott was brilliant when I bought mine (from silverfish) managed to get it 24hr delivery to me on Christmas Eve, really good service, and one of the few distributors that answer emails quickly too!.

campfreddie

@ richie

you have really pissed me off with that comment.

i’ve owned a number of yetis and turners, all of which have been uk sourced and therefore through silverfish. i have also bought spares directly from you.

IT WAS SCOTT WHO CONTACTED ME DIRECTLY in an effort to explain the merits of buying through a uk dealer. I DID NOT CONTACT HIM. scott was massively helpful (he is a credit to your company) in pointing out the pros and cons during a brief email discussion that gave me what i needed to make a decision.

i am fully aware that if i buy a yeti from a french shop, i will have to deal directly with them regarding any warranty (and in turn the french distributor). this is an informed decision i have made myself.

i regard your comment as just a cheap shot across the bows and shows nothing but hard cheese on the fact that someone who lives in the EU takes the decision to buy within the EU, but not through you.

you’ve let yourself and your company down. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT and think before you take up the keyboard warrior baton in future.

Campfreddie – so you fail to see why your purchasing decision and following correspondence with Silverfish could be construed as ‘a bit cheeky’ in anyway at all then?

I wasn’t rude with my response to you – I’m merely attempting to make a point that many don’t understand. As a business is that such a crime?

Do a quick search on this forum and you’ll see that I’m often here offering advice and support to users and am only too happy to speak directly to our customers to ensure they are happy. We’re one of the only companies who do do this so I think it speaks volumes about our dedication, service and passion but please don’t forget that whilst we do this out of our joint love of the sport we are, ultimately, a business and it’s important that people understand this.

If relaying this message has pi55ed you off I apologise – it wasn’t my intention.

ska-49

you have really pissed me off with that comment.

+1. No way will I be going through Silverfish. How unprofessional!

campfreddie

@ richie

yes i do fail to see how you have construed it to be ‘cheeky’. i very clearly stated my intention on this thread prior to Scott emailing me directly. Scott admirably attempted to swing me round to buying through the UK, by very clearly explaining differences. I stated in my email correspendence with him that as the frame had already been dispatched, i would have to wait until it had arrived and then make a decision whether to return it.

with the help of his assistance, i was able to make an informed judgement, which unfortunately for silverfish, was to keep the frame i had ordered.

i am massively appreciative to scott who i feel acted as a real ambassador to the yeti brand and indeed your company. i might not have bought through you, but nonetheless, there will be a bright yellow yeti riding the uk trails which cannot do you as a company or yeti as a brand (which you promote) any harm.

i do however think that your approach in your original response was extremely unprofessional and poorly judged. as a professional working in the industry flaming a private individual (who has done little but praise your organisation for its help and advice) on an open internet forum is quite petty. i too work in a sales position (luxury yachts) and often find myself in a position where i will work for a months or even years to bring a client to the point of making a decision, only to see them buy from a third party. this is just part of business in a free market, and if i were to post comments such as yours on an open internet forum, i would not be surprised if my p45 was waiting for me the next day.

as you can tell, i am quite aggrieved by this as i feel you have brought my good character and integrity into question.

in future, rather than flame openly on a web forum, perhaps you should take the iniatiative that your smart colleague took and make efforts to contact me directly.

i think i have said all that i wish to say on the subject now.

Subscriber

Looks nice.

I was also a bit shocked about how heavy they are when I got mine, but it’s really not that noticeable once you get it out on the trail. I’d love a carbon version to save 1-2lbs, but that’s a bit out of my price range!

Just out of interest, what size did you go for, and how tall are you? I’m just over 6ft on a large, and very occasionally I feel like I should have a medium as it feels a bit stretched out (even with a 50mm stem).

campfreddie

i’m just over 6ft with a 34″ inseam and went for a large which i will run with a 55m stem. i quite like a longer stretch (i am also a road rider, so am used to that sort of position). the reverb post doesn’t really have layback to it, so that will shorten things up a bit.

my previous asr5 was a size large with a 70mm stem.

Tom_W1987

Looks nice.

I was also a bit shocked about how heavy they are when I got mine, but it’s really not that noticeable once you get it out on the trail. I’d love a carbon version to save 1-2lbs, but that’s a bit out of my price range!

Just out of interest, what size did you go for, and how tall are you? I’m just over 6ft on a large, and very occasionally I feel like I should have a medium as it feels a bit stretched out (even with a 50mm stem).

…buy a 30mm stem?

b45her

It’s a 2013 frame dude, the 2014 will either be full alloy with a non kashima shock or a kashima shock and a carbon rear end.

i have the exact same frame and colour myself (bought through silverfish might i add) great service too, one of the best distributors to do business with in my experience.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Any differences between a 2012 and 2014 Yeti SB66 alloy frame?’ is closed to new replies.