Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 213 total)
  • Any design lawyers on the forum? AnaNichoola & Wiggle top uncanny similarities.
  • Think Jockeys, Football kit, even old school cycling kit…

That’s why I like this one.
    You don’t need to get close enough to read the text, it’s recognisable as soon as it comes in to view.

And yes, I have thought about doing a mark 2 version of the Vegan Cyclists kit for improved visibility.
    Possibly reversing the green and black and using a brighter green.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s recognisable as soon as it comes in to view.

What language is that bit down the middle? Is it Arabic or Cyrillic?

JoB
    Free Member

what makes the Singular jersey recognisable is the colour, and combination of colours, you don’t necessarily need to see the logo and lettering once you know it’s Singular, the visual imprint has been made

they have a particular blue, with that cream and red, a mix that no-one else has, which is why it works

that’s design for you

If another manufacturer’s team wore blue jerseys with their logo in red on a cream stripe, that would be plagiarism, or copyright infringement.

If they put some stars on their jerseys, it wouldn’t.

gatsby
    Free Member

Possibly reversing the green and black and using a brighter green.

This is why non-designers shouldn’t try to design; or they may design in the knowledge that they’re not designers and the results will generally be quite bad.

G

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYEuJ5u1K0[/video]

MrSmith
    Free Member

If another manufacturer’s team wore blue jerseys with their logo in red on a cream stripe, that would be plagiarism, or copyright infringement.

So singular are guilty of plagiarism then as there must be loads of pale blue/cream/red striped jerseys going back through cycling history, what do you think were the visual references for that jersey?!? Are you really that naive?

And as for copyright infringement? Maybe you should read up out what design rights, copyright, trade marks, intellectual property etc are

JoB
    Free Member

]MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

If they put some stars on their jerseys, it wouldn’t.

it’s hard to copyright a combination of colours, or a pattern, but you can easily plagiarise something

as in the Rapha/Torm jersey instance someone can copy your ‘Thing’ that’s been around long enough for people to recognise it as your ‘Thing’ and you can be a bit peeved that someone’s nicked your ‘Thing’ and do something about it.
    it also works with stars on a jersey

and from the other side, any designer with any integrity will say, ‘that looks a bit like that, i won’t do that, i’ll try a bit harder’

MrSmith, maybe Ananichoola should read up on design rights as well. 😉

jameso

JoBs last point in his post there ^ is significant. To make that call you need to understand what you’re looking at, what it means as much as simply what it is.

it’s hard to copyright a combination of colours

Didn’t Orange (the phone company) copyright orange (the colour) and try to stop Easyjet using it?

MrSmith
    Free Member

These people are good, just make sure the other side end up paying your costs 😉

http://www.swanturton.com

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Only in relation to phones, easyjet wanted to move into telecoms and start easyphones like they did with easyrentacar etc, except Oranges Brand/logo is that colour, hence they could argue it was too similar to me in the same market. There are official lists of markets where you can/can’t overlap you logos, so you could set up Meerkat bikes and have a Russian Meerkat logo, and that would be fine, as long as you didn’t move into financial services.

There was no problem therefore with an airline and a phone company using the similar logo’s.

Other similar cases Sunday BMX and Sunday road bikes, the latter became Sabath. And Superstar BMX and Superstar components, although I’ve no idea how the latter gets away with it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Designers/artists/photographers/musicians etc borrow and are inspired by others in their field.
    Just recently I shot this cover image for a magazine, it’s a chemex coffee maker so I wanted to do a stylised shot a bit like a chemistry lab

A few months later this shot appeared in a mens fitness magazine:

Did I wage a shitty twitter campaign? Phone the mag and demand some kind of recompense? Find out who the photographer/writer was and demand an explanation? No, was slightly bemused then flattered and carried on with my day as there really is no point getting your knickers in a twist about some ephemeral printed matter that’s forgotten in a couple of months. Plus I have probably shot stuff myself that is very similar to others work, I may not have actually seen the other work but those commissioning me have and then briefed me to shoot something similar.

scotroutes

On the Team Jersey thing, I thought it was only important that you could recognise your team mates in a bunch or peleton so details like font size are fairly irrelevant.
    I appreciate that sponsors might not always agree.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

On the Team Jersey thing, I thought it was only important that you could recognise your team mates in a bunch or peleton so details like font size are fairly irrelevant.

Also in photos crossing the finishing line in first place!

theflatboy
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

it’s hard to copyright a combination of colours

Didn’t Orange (the phone company) copyright orange (the colour) and try to stop Easyjet using it?

That’s trademarking by the way, not copyright – you don’t actively copyright anything, the right exists as soon as the “work” is created. So it would still (likely) a breach of the copyright in that Singular jersey above to for example replicate the design of it but with different wording.

Not the same as Orange trademarking the use of orange (which by the way is very hard to do and relies on sustained use on a widely recognisable level – even Cadbury’s couldn’t manage it with purple).

sputnik
    Free Member

Here is AnnaCoonda’s new designer cycling sunglass to match her unique cycling top.

Drac

The way I understand is that Ana was asked for some design ideas for cycle tops, she showed them her ideas with stars. Wiggle then didn’t use her for the designs but some how came up with an idea that just happened to have stars on. So while it’s not her exact design, they seem to have gone back and said “Hey! We seen some cracking ideas with stars on looked a bit like this, can you do that for us?”.

That would surely piss anyone off.

It would if the stars were the same size, same colour and arranged in a similar pattern, but they’re not are they, so we go back to my earlier question; Are Wiggle now forever banned from using stars on any jersey?

As an aside, all the star patterned stuff is showing as out of stock.
    Is that because it’s such a brilliant, original design that it sold out within days?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=blok

Drac

It would if the stars were the same size, same colour and arranged in a similar pattern, but they’re not are they,

Not too far off I thought which is the point that you can’t grasp.

As an aside, all the star patterned stuff is showing as out of stock.
    Is that because it’s such a brilliant, original design that it sold out within days?

Or they’ve withdrawn if from sale whilst this is going on.

OK then, so how far off would they have to be to avoid being considered a copy?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Are Wiggle now forever banned from using stars on any jersey?

I think there’s more to it that that. There are more similarities. e.g. The stars in the two tops are substantially similar sizes, they could have been millions of 5mm ones, or hundreds of 1cm ones but there aren’t, theres a similar number, and they are a similar variation in sizes between the two tops. They are both very light colours on a very dark background… and so on.

Everyone’s been posting pics of “things with stars on”, but they look quite different to both the DHB and Anna/Ana top.

very light colours on a very dark background

Er, isn’t that kind of the point with stars, at least where they are used in large numbers as a sort of representation of the night sky?

Drac

Horatio has answered that one. I’ve no doubt others have amongst the many posts on here.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Er, isn’t that kind of the point with stars, at least where they are used in large numbers as a sort of representation of the night sky?

Neither top is a representation of the night sky, they are both using five point stars for decorative purposes only (the top is called “superstar” i believe, rather than “stars of the night sky” or something). Replace them with triangles if you like, the argument that they are similar would be the same.

Jamie
    Free Member

Can TJ be let back just for this thread please?

I don’t think anyone is claiming Anna invented the idea of putting stars on jerseys any more than Alec Issigonis invented the idea of putting a transverse engine in a car or James Dyson invented cyclonic filtration so we probably have enough pictures of star emblazoned jerseys now.

NEVER!*

*Sorry for the delay. Had stuff to do.

cookeaa

Just use a different arrayed/scaled shape?

This cycling fashion design is dead hard you know…

binners

Graham – initially I thought you were struggling with the vagaries of copyright law. I now realise, on reading your later posts, that the whole concept of creativity itself is clearly as mysterious and inexplicable to you as astrophysics is to me

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

One might thing this place is full of engineers….

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yeah, those IT ones who don’t actually make anything.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Oi, I resemble that comment (and yes, copyright is a big deal in engineering too)

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I dunno, I kinda think MTG got railroaded into that position, his initial assertion that cycling jerseys on the whole didn’t seem to be ‘designed’ was (IMO) fair enough in relation to the asthetics.

On the other hand:
    Technical development of fabrics
    Cut and fit
    Stitching selection
    Functional stuff like zips and pockets

All ‘designed’ (or maybe better termed ‘engineered’ if we were to give it a distinction), and most people will happily pay more for X jersey over Y jersey because it has some tangible improvement. But in terms of asthetic design, most cycling kit swings wildly between ‘explosion in the ADHD factory’ and ‘boring’. Very little seems to ever be ‘designed’ by someone competent.

Basicly, I think a lot of cycling kit is ‘designed’ by the engineers as an afterthought.

portlyone

All this arguing over designs reminds me why I always ride nude

atlaz
    Free Member

So while it’s not her exact design, they seem to have gone back and said “Hey! We seen some cracking ideas with stars on looked a bit like this, can you do that for us?”.

That would surely piss anyone off.

Except that’s what they said did NOT happen. They say the clothing team who visited her didn’t have any contact with the design team. Now you can assert that is only their word but if it’s proven false they’d be a laughing stock.

From my PoV, she seems to have found two items in her range that have elements that are in the new jersey and made the accusation. Neither of them seems to bear more than a passing similarity to the Wiggle jersey in my eyes.

As an aside, why would you launch the attack on Friday afternoon, only email Wiggle almost 8 hours later then continue going on about it over a bloody weekend. A professional would at least try to resolve it before pursuing the nuclear option. Even if she is right, she comes across badly in this anyway; someone you wouldn’t want to do business with.

atlaz
    Free Member

Other than, you know, software on pretty much every device you use every single day. And the devices those connect to. And so on. It’s not tangible like a chainring but it’s certainly “made”

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nah, this is a proper made IT puter. 🙄

sillyoldman

Is it possible to ban people on the grounds of repeated blatant fuddery?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Dictionary slang – fuddery – A collection of activities in which fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) is spread. See Wikipedia Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt.

There would be no forum.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘Any design lawyers on the forum? AnaNichoola & Wiggle top uncanny similarities.’ is closed to new replies.