Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Any decent boozers in Blaenau Ffestiniog?
  • zokes
    Free Member

Come on if you lived in perpetual gloom surrounded by the spoil heaps you might not be to balanced.

From my many visits through Blaenau en route to cycling or field sites, the only time I ever recall it being sunny there it was pissing it down everywhere else!

johnellison
    Free Member

Come home to a real fire – buy a holiday cottage in Snowdonia…

boblo
    Free Member

rudebwoy – Member
    This bollocks about speaking english and collectivly switching to welsh on the appearance of a strange face is just that….. people switch easily between the languages, some older people will be more at ease in their native tongue–

Boblo– you are obviously a well balanced soul–chips on both shoulders…

Our experiences differ. I’ve spent a lot of time in North Wales and my Father is Welsh. As an English outsider, it is very common in pubs, shops etc for the conversation to move instantly from English to Welsh on my/our arrival. Many times, many different places. Coincidence? Hmmmm….

No chips here old boy, just opinion.

iain1775
    Free Member

rascal – Member
    Are you Commencal Iain?

Yup
    I was joking about it being a troll btw

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Stayed there while visiting CYB.

Had a minor Slaughtered Lamb experience in the pub next to the station. Luckily we were with a welsh speaker who ordered the drinks. At that point the conversations resumed. Hang about we did not.

Then had a curry down the road. Where they simultaneously shortchanged us after attempting to bill us for a few things we didn’t order.

The B&B it town centre was ok though, they had a lockup for bikes. On the minus side though it was opposite Spar, which seemed to be the place to be if you’re 13 and wanted to blaze up a few spliffs of an evening.

Didn’t strike me as tourist heaven, to be honest; just a fairly normal town that had some issues with employement. Like many towns.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I dont know about Blaenau Festiniog but there used to be a bloke in Oldham called Billy Bitter who was a fantastic boozer !

Once supped 15 pints of Lees`s, 10 pints of Wilsons and 6 pints of Robinsons on Sunday all day sesh !

Up for work 6:30 Monday morning no probs.

BTW he`s dead now !

rascal
    Free Member

Well, the bloody DH day at Antur Stiniog has been cancelled and drawn a blank looking for alternative digs somewhere nice. The B&B owners confirmed the bikes will be indoors so that’s a relief, and the B&B looks great (online anyway). A bloke at Antur tried to assure me there are decent pub options…who knows, it might be an amazing night! 😉

landofgiants
    Free Member

The ones with that added bit of danger often are!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

While BF is hardly my kind of town, I remember similar griping about Mach, Dolgellau, Cymmer, etc.

Bikes are bringing investment and employment to these areas. Long may it last.

nonk
    Free Member

It’s not the Welsh speaking that gets to people it’s the sudden switch when you walk in,

This is the biggest pile of urban myth bollox ever spouted.

i have lived in north wales for over ten years and have never had this happen to me or seen it happen to anyone yet everyone that has ever ventured in for the odd holiday wheels out this corker of a tale 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This is the biggest pile of urban myth bollox ever spouted.

Happened to me on a couple of occasions

nonk
    Free Member

dont believe you.
    sorry.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i have lived in north wales for over ten years and have never had this happen to me or seen it happen to anyone

Ok then

dont believe you.
    sorry.

ah I see….

I tend to travel with an open mind and give places a chance. There are just some I won’t be returning to.

nonk
    Free Member

sorry chap its such a classic tale it goes like this:

where do you live?….north wales

oh i went on holiday once and i walked into this shop/pub/chippy and do you know what they did? ….did they speak welsh the bastards 😯

edit..
    hey maybe it did happen mate but i reckon you might have got the wrong end of the stick.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hey maybe it did happen mate but i reckon you might have got the wrong end of the stick.

Got no problem with Welsh speaking in Wales at all. The times it happened there was plenty of English being spoken when we were walking past and in then it just died away, coupled with the sort of stares that tell you your not very welcome. Seen similar in crappy run down towns all over the world really. Add in some of the welcome graffiti and it can be a place you just don’t want to stop in.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

I have experienced said switching to (I love in north Wales but am English) both times it happened was 10-12 years ago, nothing since. Once when I was helping a friend clear there house in tanygrisau in BF and I went into post office/shop for some milk so we could have a brew. The women behind counter was talking to another women in shop, I heard them talking about dogs going to vets as I walked in but when they saw me got the famous arseholea to Englishman line and they continued in welsh for a few min before she took the money off me for the milk!!!
    However, I have since been to BF on several occasions (just passing through and stoping for shop/drink/food at kebab place) and not had any such problems

Second time it happened was in Caernarfon, I had been walking for the day with 2 non welsh speaking, welsh mates. We decided to go for drink on way home and went in this place. It wasn’t busy but the language definitely switched as soon as we ordered. It had a very unwelcoming feel about the place, but that wasn’t soley down to the language thing, it did seem like a bit of a rough choice of pub, so after we drank our drinks we moved to another not far away and everything was fine!!!

bigrich

no BF, but we got boozed in at a pub in deepest darkest, had a great night, the locals took the piss, ordered us pizzas and we had a right laff.

rebel12
    Free Member

However, on occasion I’ve entered an establishment in North Wales, seen the locals chatting merrily in English, then switch seamlessly to Welsh when they realise I’m there.

This is quite common. Most Welsh speakers speak a mixture of Welsh and English at most times, often switching between the two seamlessly and fluently. If it’s happened to you then it’s probably pure co-incidence, manifested in your mind because you’ve already heard all the urban myth’s. Walk into any local village pub anywhere in the UK as an outsider and you’ll likely get some unusual stares. People are interested, that’s all. Have you never sat in a pub or cafe yourself and people watched? Sometimes if you smile and say hello then you will realise that 99.9% of people are very friendly. Anyway if people start speaking Welsh then so what. If you feel that’s a threat then it’s your paranoia that is the problem, not them. Perhaps try and learn a few words of Welsh yourself and I’m sure the locals will appreciate it, or at the very least they’ll have a laugh over your bad pronounciation.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Any decent boozers in Blaenau Ffestiniog?’ is closed to new replies.