Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any deals on hybrids / flat bar commuters?
  • oldtennisshoes

im starting a new contract in 4 weeks which will mean I’ll need to use the train rather than drive – yay!

But I’m gojng to need a bike to get to and from the station – 2 miles, 90% downhill going. 90% big **** off hill coming home. I’m thinking something flat barred that I can stick a big cassette in (36 should be ok) and it will need disk brakes and take full guards.

I don’t want to pay too muc as it’ll be locked up at the station all day. I’m even considering a rat bike with rigid forks. Any deals out there for something suitable? Probably large side of medium.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Halfords have been selling off last years Boardmans recently. You can get your 10% BC discount and if it’s an ex-display then they’ll knock another 10% off. I picked up a new Boardman flat bar commuter for about half price in the sale.

Might be worth a look.

matt_outandabout

Our £100 recykabike Specialized Sirrus is going strong nearly 2 years after we got it… Flat bar, big road chainrings and MTB cassette… And couldn’t care less how it looks – it is black, functional and unlikely to be nicked…

matt_outandabout

^ as above, our new Boardman CX was ex display, so half price-ish and £50 of free kit, on 0%….

oldtennisshoes

Matt, is that the place between Bridge of Allan and Stirling? I think I’ve driven past it a couple of times.

grum
    Free Member

Dales Cycles are doing 10% off until the end of May if you sign up to their newsletter. Defo can be used on bikes as my gf just picked up a Sirrus using it – they agreed to match it in store too.

matt_outandabout

Yes it is. it can be hit and miss, worth dopping in a few times. They have lots of road bikes or rigid early 2000’s cheap MTB’s, and now and again a cracker.

newrobdob
    Free Member

You don’t need discs for a 2 mike journey, even if it is downhill. Just makes it more attractive to thieves. Just get a second hand hybrid type bike, something like a Carrera or one of the big names basic range.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any deals on hybrids / flat bar commuters?’ is closed to new replies.