Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any deals on 29er wheels cheap and good?
  • quintet100
    Free Member

As above
    For a xc build
    I will make them tubeless
    Going to use a carbon fork
    What can you find?
    Thanks in advance

Northwind

I just picked up a set of superstars for £140- Pacenti rims on their switch hubs, only downside is that they’re plain guage spokes. Can’t find any fault with ’em, tubeless ready and all that.

mboy
    Free Member

The Pacenti rims on those Superstar builds are excellent. The Superstar hubs less so, bearings seem to go gritty remarkably quickly and freehubs known to be quite weak! Can’t have it all for the money though I suppose.

Define cheap though… If you or a mate can build wheels, then Superstar’s own Sentinel rims are £40 apiece, and you can buy Shimano SLX hubs for under £50 the pair.

There’s always the option of just buying a non tubeless wheelset, and converting using Stans rim strips or the ghetto method with 24″ inner tubes.

Northwind

TBH you might get decent results with bodged tubeless but you might not- it’s one thing when you’ve already got the wheels but doesn’t make any sense to buy non-tubeless if you want to run tubeless imo.

mboy
    Free Member

Whilst you’re right, I’d also argue that tubeless success is 90% down to the tyre you’re using, and only about 10% down to the rim. I’ve been running tubeless for more than 11 years now, have tried every method going, and have had nothing but good experiences with both Ghetto tubeless (using the inner tube, not the gaffer tape) and Stans rim strips. I prefer a proper UST rim purely for simplicity, but they’re expensive and relatively heavy for what they are.

Buy proper UST or TLR tyres and you’ll have success with pretty much any method. Only time I’ve ever had a tubeless setup fail on me whilst riding was running a non tubeless Maxxis Crossmark (beads were a bit loose compared to a tubeless version) on my old Roval traverse wheels (not the tightest rim to fit a tyre to out there). Burped it too easily sadly, and learnt my lesson… Stick to proper tubeless tyres!

quintet100
    Free Member

I have got a tubeless kit already.
    Just need wheels.

Northwind

See I’d go the other way round, I’ve only ever had a couple of tyres fail to go tubeless on a proper rim but when I was fannying about with my assorted Mavics and 5.1s I never got a result I was happy with with BMX tubes etc, regardless of tyre. (the 5.1s worked well with the proper rim strip but not with bmxeying it)

campfreddie
    Free Member

I have a pair of the Pacenti/switch wheels from superstar sat in my office. Hey look great, but are pretty heavy at 2kgs.

I may send them back as I would prefer to be around 1,500g.

Winstanleys have a stock of hope / crests which work out at under £300 the pair.

edhornby
    granny_ring

Camp, what rims are those you’ve got?

campfreddie
    Free Member

these are what i ordered from superstar (and will now be returning)

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=656

for reference, the rear hub appears to be the newer switch evo version (by virtue that the freewheel has evolution written on it).

pretty good vfm… i just want to go lighter.

granny_ring

Camp, that link has choice of 3 rims.
    Assuming you have the 25s or 28s?

Northwind

I actually didn’t weigh my Pacentis but they’re not supposed to be 2kg. Should probably do that!

campfreddie
    Free Member

Mine went straight on the scales…. Was a bit disappointed tbh… If they came in at around 1,750 I might have kept them.

rims – 848g
    Hubs – 500g
    Spokes – 450g
    Nipples – 60g
    Rim tape – 60g

This comes in at 1,918g. The wheels were pretty much bang on 2kgs, so whether this was down to the qr adapters or just slightly overweight hubs, I’m not sure.

tinribz
    Free Member

Read the other day bout some racers building cheap xc wheelset using road rims. Am now contemplating the superstar CX discs. SS hubs, Stans Iron Cross rims <1600gs, 20mm width. Good value compared to Crests, am I gonna die if I put a 2.1 tyre on?

Edit: 1645gs

Northwind

60g for rim tape! Blue tape ’em (or similiar), weighs approximately nothing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any deals on 29er wheels cheap and good?’ is closed to new replies.