Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any CV gurus in the house?
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Sorry – all of my posts so far have been work and job related. Being unemployed will do that to you… Upsettingly all of this supposed free time hasn’t translated to loads of bike time yet.

Anyway, I’ve hit up loads of agencies and applied for a few jobs – I think I should be quite marketable, and yet I’m not getting anywhere fast. Could be that I’m too fussy and expensive, or that my CV is not telling my story in the most appropriate fashion.

Today has mostly been spent rebuilding my CV. Are there any bona fide gurus out there who could cast a critical eye over it for me, please?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I used to see so many it hurt….., so I can certainly guide you on some elements. But……What line of work are you in/looking for? I may be able to help, but would prefer to recommend you speak to someone with relevant industry knowledge as well as CV experience.

donsimon
    Free Member

You’re a product, sell youself.
    Look for you strengths and weaknesses.
    Don’t just give a list of features.
    Think about benefits for the new employer.
    taylor the CV for each job marrying your strengths and benefits with the employers needs.
    Be honest and no BS.
    Research the companies you’re applying too.
    Finding a job is a full time job.
    Good luck.

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

I’m a web monkey without having any of the useful web skills, like being able to code 🙂 I’m half PR, half marketer and three quarters strategist… so, in theory, you’d think I’d be able to sell myself!

Squidlord
    Free Member

Maybe think about what firms are making most use of online marketing and find a way to direct yourself to them? Or could be that you’ve been going to the wrong agencies? You may need to find one that caters to your niche – do you know any other people in the same line of work who might be able to give you some pointers?

Junkyard
    Free Member

mail it to me addy inprofile

donsimon
    Free Member

so, in theory, you’d think I’d be able to sell myself!

Theory says yes, practice says no. 😀
    I would assume you’re losing out to people who are pricing themselves down, so you’ll need do devlope the pitch that focusses on the reasons why they should pay more and therefore your experience and how your success stories benefitted previous employers.
    e.g. My last web page brought in an extra 10,000 hits per day resulting in a 35% increase in sales with a notable increase from month 1. This was due in part to my extensive knowledge of both web design but also many years of working with marketing agencies or some such crap…

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Junkyard, I’ll get it through to you today (I’m just busily rebuilding it to increase the quota of fabulousness). Can I ask, what do you do – recruiter or interested bystander?

trailmonkey

i was out of work for two months this summer. i applied for lots and got nowhere. i went to a really helpful emp. agency where the guy told me that my CV was awful and didn’t reflect who i was or what i could do. he gave me a template which i followed. within a week or two, i’d 4 offers on the table.

the position that i took has subsequently put me in a position where i recruit people and see the lots of the same awful CV’s with the same mistakes that i was making. i think its really easy to write a CV trhat just doesn’t help you and most of us do it.

just go to an agency and sit down and talk to someone about your CV is my advice.

good luck – in my experience you are far better than you look on paper so once you’ve got that sorted the offers will flood in.

morgs
    Free Member

mail it to me addy inprofile

+ 1

Send it to me now, as it is and I’ll have a look, call you and we can work our way through it

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Morgs – thank you. Please can you add your email to your profile!

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Work of art complete 🙂 Junkyard, I’ll get it through to you for critiquing and Morgs too if you post your email.

Any other gurus available for consultancy?

Thanks

MaxRocks
    Free Member

Where are you based? My GF runs a recruitment business in the NE for conceptual people.

JulianA
    Free Member

What do you WANT to do? If it’s web coding I’ve got some ideas…

PS – You might want to add some salary expectations to your post!

spacemonkey

Send me a copy (edited or whatever – Mon/Tue is fine if you want to tart it up).

What are you looking for? And where are you?

Might know of an oppt.

morgs
    Free Member

ooops – morgs DOT bdavies AT gmail.com

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Spacemonkey, Junkyard + Morgs YGM 🙂

JulianA – no coding I’m afraid 🙁 Project management, sure, but not coding…

As to salary… it’s vulgar to discuss money in public, so let’s simply say that I am expensive!

Location – flexible on the basis that I’m happy to relocate for the right opportunity. And the right opportunity means managing a team and having a strategy element to the work.

Thanks all for your help/suggestions.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any CV gurus in the house?’ is closed to new replies.