Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any completely satisfied BOS users?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Am in the title really. I’m thinking of buying a Capra. Head says the Comp 1 with Pikes for less money, but the heart wants the spendier model with BOS. We always hear about people that have had problems with BOS suspension, and how it’s a faff to send back etc. But clearly forums over-emphasise failure rates.

So in the real-world, are there numerous quiet happy owners of BOS products? Or should I save money and hassle and stick with Rock Shox?

For what it’s worth I’m happy tinkering with forks but I’d prefer something that’s relatively hassle-free.

doug_basqueMTB.com

For me yes. I broke off the lock out lever on the Kirk but that s the only problem after a year of hammer.

honourablegeorge

Running a Deville/Vip’r combo for several years now, have been faultless. Plush, never bottom out despite me being a big lump and landing drops to flat, only now thinking of servicing the forks as it’s been a few years, but no performance decline that I can detect at all. I did have a slight airlock in the forks at first, slipping a cable tie between seal and stanchion on the air spring side fixed that, they’ve worked perfectly since.

Have a Stoy on my DH bike, makes a squeaky chirpy noise, which was weird at first, but I don’t hear it now, and again, no issues.

Mate also runs Devilles, no issues at all.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grobin13
    Free Member

Exactly the same situation as me. mate has just ordered the Capra pro so will see how his is when it arrives in Jan. I’m going to wait to see if YT launch a new spec in the new year. Hearing they will by end of Jan although likely to only be a colour change….

poah
    Free Member

Plush, never bottom out despite me being a big lump and landing drops to flat

not set up right then as you ain’t using all your travel

ratherbeintobago

Have BOS sorted out their importer issues yet?

sunnrider
    Free Member

Running Devilles for 2 years, not a bother. Been serviced twice, one simple and the second time a complete service.

gardron
    Free Member

When they work, they just work and are stunning. The problem comes in if you get a dodgy set. I’ve seen ones just explode in a workstand, some with fore/aft play (apparently that was fine, according to bos) and some just sink down through the travel without warning. In each case the forks went back at least twice, if not a lot more times – though I think half of this was their old disty. I believe they’re now being imported and supported by Jungle, so should be a lot better.

transition1
    Free Member

The reason they explode or sink through their travel is because they are being serviced by people who don’t know what they are doing!
    Jungle took over with BOS in Jan 2014 & by June had not sorted anything, don’t call this better.

jamj1974

Deville and Vip’R user here. 2 years without issues at all. They just work. I do hit lines with more confidence than before in the knowledge they swallow all types of hit with huge capability. Mate has 12 months also on Devilles with no issues too.

jamj1974

Opinion (although one of several valid opinions) masquerading as fact…

dirtydog
    Free Member

poah – Member

Plush, never bottom out despite me being a big lump and landing drops to flat

Posted 4 hours ago #
    ratherbeintobago – Member

Rubbish.

Set mine up based on how it feels not how much travel it uses, if it feels right it is right irresective of how much travel is being used.

mactheknife

Its a shame that a company can produce such amazing forks and then fail completely to back them up.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve had my Devilles for a year now and really rate them.

I’ve serviced them myself when the seals started weeping a bit of oil….there’s nothing magical about the internals. Although an o ring has gone in the rebound adjuster, so they’re off to J Tech for some proper TLC after Crimbo.

They are a really smooth, controlled feeling fork too. I didnt realise how good until I put my old 36 RC2’s back on which feel a bit plusher initially but a lot more wallowy and squidgy. The BOS never seem to use more travel than they need to. I think the 36’s are a bit stiffer in the rough stuff, but other than that I’m a happy boy (mine were second hand though).

My biggest issue is that I fel a bit silly owning BOS because they’re exoensive and perceived to be a bit pricey even though they cost very little.

Speeder

Bought mine 2nd hand a couple of years ago and they’ve been great with no issues. I’ll admit to not servicing them at all but then I barely ever get to ride them with a very young family so I don’t make much of a sample. Sorry.

One question I would like to ask though and I hope it doesn’t hijack the thread. Does anyone find the quick release a bit sh!t? If I do it so I can get it undone “trail side” I’m sure the leg walks along the axle a bit making the front wheel loose. I’m sure I could fix it by just tightening the bolt on the other side but then I won’t be able to undo the qr with bare hands, especially as there’s no finger room behind it. Maybe it’s just me . . . .

G

jamj1974

Speeder – no issues with my axle at all.

thered

Mine had to go back to France straight away to clear the small valve that equalises +&- pressure (took 2-3 weeks iirc) but since then they’ve been great

mildred

Me.

I’ve had 3 sets of Devilles and a Vip’r. No problems at all. Serviced by surf sales and faultless.

I no longer have them as I no longer have the bikes they were on. One set was used virtually daily for about 2 1/2 years throughout winter too, with no issues.

I didn’t like the axle though. 2nd generation with fold out lever was better but still a bit half-arsed compared to say Fox. I’d have another set tomorrow if I could afford them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any completely satisfied BOS users?’ is closed to new replies.