Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any Climbers/boulderers made a DIY finger/hanging board?
  • MrSparkle

Anyone on here made one? I’ve seen a few on t’internet and fancy having a go at making one using waste wood from work. It won’t be a Beastmaker TM but will have holes for 1,2,3 and 4 finger hangs/pull ups and a piece for practicing crimps on. The plan is to hang it below my chin up bar in a door frame.

bigwatts
    Free Member

I looked years ago but bought a beastmaker instead. I think it was due to the type of wood it needed to be. I think beastmaker use tulip wood that isn’t slippery under sweaty fingers which will be important for slopers and small crimps.

Just Jugs and deep pockets that you may be ok with any wood.

mahowlett
    Free Member

you really really really need to use the right kind of wood especially for smaller holds, then you need to make it very smooth as you don’t want splinters, and some woods are really slippery when you make them smooth and sweat a bit, and pinging off crimps can seriously injure your tendons. I’d be pretty cautious about it tbh.

Yak

Yeah, years ago at uni I made one and put it up in our work studio. I copied something, I can’t remember what. Maybe a metolious one? I had a woodworking workshop to hand so it was easy.

Wood? Ummm can’t remember, but no splinters and it gripped.

Anyway everyone kept cranking and hanging on it, climbers and non climbers. Must have been a strong year group at the end and I don’t think there were many injuries.

MrSparkle

I’ve not got a way of making slopers yet so will stick to holes etc as mentioned. I take your point about the wood but I think I’ll give it a go anyway as it’s going to cost me nowt apart from my time.

antigee

yes but i also tied slings and chose between buying EB’s and PA’s – the only two types of bootees available and when commercial boards became available swopped over….

thought hanging on crimps went out of fashion back when people had to have shoulder surgery? guess having below/above pull up bar means can use some elastic to support if need  – slopers might be harder to make and use but better for long term health – old and out of it but check what intend doing isn’t going to give problematic injuries

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any Climbers/boulderers made a DIY finger/hanging board?’ is closed to new replies.