Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Any Celiacs?
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

Cheers again for the replies, great shout on toaster bags!

Field Marshall I wish that was the case but I know for sure my bi polar is nothing to do with the gluten. I wish it was matey I wish it was.

I am also lactose intolerant at the moment which is really hitting what I can and can’t eat, although I do read something about the receptors that can digest lactose are damaged by those that are effected by the gluten. So hopefully once the gluten is gone the lactose can be reintroduced.

or am I living in a dream world?

so wine yes, whiskey yes some beer (this is looking up)

FieldMarshall

but I know for sure my bi polar is nothing to do with the gluten. I wish it was matey I wish it was.

Well i only have my own personal experiences to go on, so its hardly scientific or statistically significant, but having suffered from manic depression most of my life, going GF has been a revelation.

PiknMix
    Free Member

interesting to hear 🙂

now I desperately need a new coping mechanism, or this whole post will be entirely irrelevant!

alpin
    Free Member

now I desperately need a new coping mechanism

for that natural high…

PiknMix
    Free Member

Is the last one coke or ket? The top bud looks like ditch weed!

Been there done that :p

freeagent
    Free Member

Pik n Mix – Member

I am also lactose intolerant at the moment which is really hitting what I can and can’t eat, although I do read something about the receptors that can digest lactose are damaged by those that are effected by the gluten. So hopefully once the gluten is gone the lactose can be reintroduced.

or am I living in a dream world?

Sorry I was a bit harsh on you earlier – just trying to put it in perspective…

I think the lactose might sort itself out – this happened with my Daughter – she is fine with lactose now however if we slip up somehow (kids parties are a nightmare!) and she has some gluten the lactose intollerence comes back for a while..
    My advicw would be get yourself Gluten free then start introducing the milk very slowly (providing your doctor agrees)

I reckon you’ll still be able to enjoy your food when you get your head around it…

PiknMix
    Free Member

Cheers free agent, if I was reading this and someone else was seeing someone go through a real life changing illness I would probably react the same 🙂

Pembo
    Free Member

I’ve been GF for over a year now and like anything in life that gets thrown at you its how YOU deal with it.

GF food choices in shops and restaurants has come on leaps and bounds in the short time I have been GF. Even the staff canteen I usually eat at marks things up for gluten and dairy content.

Here’s a bit of a brain dump:

Bread
    Warburtons GF is the best. GF pitta are OK but crumpets are dire. I bought a panasonic bread maker which has a GF program but the first recipe I tried just used the normal setting. This recipe makes brilliant crunchy toast and I just use sugar instead of honey and normal milk instead of buttermilk. Ingredients are easy to get from Holland and Barrett. The secret of getting good toast with GF bread is to grill it on both sides rather than use the toaster. The GF frozen pizza at Tesco tasted great apart from the topping which was very bland so you just need to add a few bits to spice it up.

Pasta
    Substitute pasta is pretty good but make sure the water is boiling vigorously before you drop the pasta in and stir immediately to stop it going gloopy.

Beer
    This is my biggest problem as I love real ale and do go astray with the obvious consequences.
    Nick Stafford’s Hambleton Ales do a decent bitter but is quite gassy. Bought this at Booths.
    Estrella Damm do a GF lager which I wasn’t that keen on. Available at ASDA.
    I got on OK with St Austell brewery’s Proper Job in bottles when I was down in Cornwall so I need to order some in for Christmas. Waitrose stock this.

Processed Meals
    I don’t eat many but they usually have gluten so beware.

Eating Out
    Most restaurants are excellent for handling your requirements. Some will even cook you something special to order e.g. if fish and chips are on the menu ask if they will grill the fish without batter. Be careful with Chinese as soy sauce is made with fermented wheat. However, Japanese soy sauce is GF.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Cheers pembo, clearly I’m dealing with it spectacularly badly!
    I can forgo the ale for the cider, I am stupendously happy I can still drink whiskey, I’m sure I can adjust to the ingredients that are safe.

I dunno if I can adjust to gluten free flour making a below par roux!
    The big advantage though is already my diet is vastly healthier.

Going to find some gluten free inspiration!

MussEd
    Free Member

You do not know my circumstances matey, but the cut and dry of it is food is the only thing that has been the stable reason as to why I haven’t killed myself in my darkest days, this has now been taken away so yeah its ruined me to lose my only coping mechanism, excuse me for seeing it as a game ender!

C’mon mate it really isn’t that bad. 2 years diagnosed here and I do believe I eat better than ever. All the main points I would raise with someone newly GF have been covered above, so I won’t rehash anything. Oh except if you’re already a keen cook you’ll have no probs…

Beer was(still is) my greatest miss, BUT all is not lost. Greens Brewery do some brilliant ales and lagers made with de-glutenised barley. Only available online but brilliant esp the Blonde Ale. Estrella Daura is a good lager from Spain(where coeliac is a growing concern) and Tesco stock Ambletons GF ale which is good also. You’ll struggle to find many pubs stocking GF beer but at least you can keep some at home.

Oh and if you go into M&S ask at customer services and they’ll do you a print out of all their stock and whether or not its GF.

Stick in, don’t use this as a reason to top yourself.

MussEd
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Any Celiacs?’ is closed to new replies.