Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Any car salesmen/women/persons on here. Help needed (slippery salesman content)
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi

I’m thinking of buying a new car on some sort of pcp deal but only if I can get something I want for what I consider to be a decent monthly cost/deposit/final payment option.

The dealer I went to (very convenient, local etc) is being less than helpful and keeps on offering me deals that whilst good in theory are for cars way faster/shinier than I want and hence aren’t helpful. Also his prices keep fluctuating and he has so far offered a more expensive petrol car for less than a diesel. He also pretended he was searching for a ready built car for me in order to get a deal (but then said he’d need to spec a car to order).

What game is he playing (other than trying to get as much money from me as possible) and what can I do to secure a better deal?!

Thanks

thehustler
    Free Member

go to the next nearest main dealer of the same manufacturer and play them off against each other…..

scuttler

Surely local’s got nowt to do with owt if it’s a new car that’s coming from the factory/stock/where-ever. Factor in that you’re likely spending more than a couple of hundred quid surely you’re prepared to shop around or hit the phones. As ^he said^ get them to compete for your business. And where you buy a car has nowt to do with where you get it serviced/repaired etc.

nealglover
    Free Member

The dealer I went to (very convenient, local etc) is being less than helpful[/quotE]

Go to another dealer then.

If you don’t like the service from the most local one, there will be plenty of others a short drive away.

You only arrange the deal with them, you don’t have to go back there again for anything once you have the car.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

It’s a fair point, just that the dealership is literally opposite my work so handy to pop into.

The thing is, they won’t just give me a price for a particular car which is irritating. Some of the deals they’ve so far offered looking like spanking value but are beyond my comfort zone budget wise.

Also, can some explain why they’re saying that adding leather interior adds £30-£40 per month on a 4yr pcp deal when it’s only £1100 as an option if you paid cash? They’ve basically said that the two options I want (18″ alloys and leather) are adding £70 a month to my quotes?!

nickjb
    Free Member

Go to another dealer

This +1

Actually, just buy a used car and spend the rest of the money bikes/drugs/ladies of the night (delete as applicable)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is it not more to do with how popular a car is, they can ship them on cheaper for the ones they can’t shift – ie pointless leather options

jekkyl

Having those options are things you’ve said are important to you so he’s using those as a ‘reason’ to sell you a more pricey deal. Do some ringing round you don’t have to deal face to face.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Have a look at drivethedeal dot com. IIUC some main dealers need to shift a few cars to make quotas set by the manufactures. The prices are interesting. And I’d buy through them again. I don’t know about finance, I was a cash buyer, but do you have a bank account, to see what they might offer?

gogg
    Free Member

“And where you buy a car has nowt to do with where you get it serviced/repaired etc. “

But it does if it’s a warranty issue.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@ gogg – and if you should happen to move home after buying?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’m not in a position to buy cash unfortunately 🙁

Would you expect most dealers to provide a quote for a car with a specific spec or would you expect them to be vague so they can up sell or whatever it’s called?!

gobuchul
    Free Member

But it does if it’s a warranty issue.

The warranty is from the manufacturer not the dealer.

You can use any dealer to deal with the problem. They get paid off the manufacturer for doing the work.

bigyinn
    Free Member

18″ alloys? That’ll bugger up the ride nicely. Stick with 17″ and enjoy a more comfortable ride, unless you’re planning on going racing with it?
    The fashion for bigger and bigger rims is getting out of hand IMO.
    Plus 18″ tyres will cost more too.

TheFlyingOx

If you’re set on PCP, just go to Ling’s Cars.

ourmaninthenorth

Would you expect most dealers to provide a quote for a car with a specific spec or would you expect them to be vague so they can up sell or whatever it’s called?!

What you’re actually being sold is money. The car is just a mechanism to deliver a finance deal (there’s not loads of profit in the car).

+1 for shopping around. Online and by phone is just as easy at the outset. And the bigger the dealer, the greater the volume of cars they shift. The greater the volume, the better the manufacturer discounts they get, which often means there’s some more latitude on price. Either buy there or use as a tool to drive down your chap’s price.

rickmeister

If you’re set on PCP, just go to Ling’s Cars.

This ^^^^

Now with free epilepsy.

julians
    Free Member

Also, can some explain why they’re saying that adding leather interior adds £30-£40 per month on a 4yr pcp deal when it’s only £1100 as an option if you paid cash? They’ve basically said that the two options I want (18″ alloys and leather) are adding £70 a month to my quotes?!

Its because any optional extras you add on to a car typically dont increase its second hand value by any significant amount, so on a PCP type arrangement you end up paying the full price of the optional extras over the period of the PCP/lease. The cheapest way to buy on pcp/lease is to not specify any optional extra’s at all.

sing1etrack

What car is it?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’m looking for a bimmer 3 series. I probably don’t do enough miles to justify diesel so am happy with petrol. I think pcp is preferable to pch as any equity over the final payment can be used etc.

My dealership has offered me zero deposit deals but so far the best they’ve come up with is a 328i M Sport for £439 a month :O

hooli

Have a look at drivethedeal or similar websites, the car gets supplied by a local (ish) dealer but price is better as it is negotiated by a company who order XX units a year rather than your 1.

If nothing else, print off the quote and take it in, the salesman can choose to beat it to let you go.

sing1etrack

The brokers aren’t so good when it comes to BMW – either no discount or just not listed. You’re probably stuck with talking to another BMW dealer yourself, or look at something the brokers do discount heavily!

sing1etrack

Having just said that, have a look at Carfile who do a price on application for BMWs – just tell them the spec you want and they’ll get back to you. They’ve been as good as DtD when I’ve used them in the past – for a Skoda, not BMW though.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Cheers chaps – the thing is I don’t know if printing off a cash price has much bearing on what would be offered on a pcp deal? The numbers the dealer gave me seemed a bit arbitrary!

julians
    Free Member

if you’re only going to buy via PCP (or lease or another form of monthly payment where you can choose to simply hand back the car at the end of the term) then you dont really need the cash price, just make sure the duration of the pcp is the same for each car you’re looking at, Then for each deal take the deposit and add it to the monthly payment multiplied by the number of months, to work out the total cost of owning the car for the PCP period on the basis you give it back at the end.

If you think you might buy the car at the end of the period , then thats where the cash amount will be useful for comparison purposes, ie add the deposit to the monthly amount multiplied by the number of months of PCP, and add the final payment amount, and compare this to the cash price of the car, that will tell you how much extra your paying to have a monthly payment plan and effectively borrow the cash.

PCP can be considered a little like having a capital repayment mortgage and an interest only mortgage at the same time.

Arbitrary example, but its how its works : If the cash price of the car is £30000, and you put down £2000 deposit, and the dealer says that in 3 years, you can either buy the car outright for £10000 or simply hand it back with nothing more to pay, at say 5% apr, the following applies.

Total credit £28000 (£30000 minus £2000 deposit)
    Interest only credit £10000 (the final payment)
    Capital repayment credit £18000.

The monthly payments will be £581.15, made up of :-

Interest payments on £10000 (the interest only bit) = £41.67 per month at 5% apr
    Capital Repayments plus interest on £18000 over 36 months = £539.48 at 5% apr

Total per month = £581.15 for 3 years, plus a final payment of £10000 or give the car back.

So if you give the car back after 3 years, it will have cost you £22921.40 over 3 years.

sing1etrack

Whether you want Hire Purchase,PCP, Lease Purchase or Contract Hire;Carfile can help. Whilst we do not directly offer finance our Dealerships do! Most but not all of our Discounts are available in conjunction with National Manufacturer finance offers. EG. VW Low rate ‘Solutions’,Jaguar ‘Privilege’ are all available even though we have offered a very large Discount. Exclusions apply. If in any doubt please call us to discuss your requirements on 01335-360763 or email us: info@carfile.net We are happy help.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Any car salesmen/women/persons on here. Help needed (slippery salesman content)’ is closed to new replies.