Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any BT Openreach engineers out there?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Having a new line installed. I need it for the broadband (Infinity), and as they’re is no BT sockets/line to the house, they’re chucking in line installation for free.

What there is, is a dropwire coming from the pole in the street to the hook thingy on the house, but it’s been cut off at this point. Guess the previous occupants didn’t want wires all over the house when they moved to Virgin Media.

Do I assume BT Openreach will just install a new cable from the pole and then run into the house, or attempt to use some method of coupling to the existing bit?

Just wondering, as the house is 50/60 years old, whether it’s best to have all new cable if the option presents itself.

sparkyrhino

New Dropwire, pole to nte.

deadkenny
    Free Member

100+ year old house and old cable to pole, old wiring to the socket, but getting max speed from FTTC, 76Mbps down, 20Mbps up. Though does help that the cabinet is 100m down the road.

How actually old the cabling is I don’t know. 20+ years at least though and I suspect much older. Likely it was all replaced somewhere in the last 100 years though.

And it’s still way more reliable than the NTL (now Virgin) crap that was hooked up to the house.

munded

Do watch out when you get a call an hour after the engineer leaves to “check the line”. Known scam tried on a friend.

Jamie
    Free Member

Do watch out when you get a call an hour after the engineer leaves to “check the line”.

From whom?

Anyway, good luck to them. Phone line will never actually have a phone plugged in to it 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

I deal with BT all the time through my job.
    Couple of top tips.
    Talk to the engineer, explain where you’d like the socket if possible and ask him what he’ll be doing.
    Make them a cup of tea.
    Make sure everything is working as it should BEFORE he leaves, don’t let him wander off the property before he’s finished.

Jamie
    Free Member

Going on a biscuit run tomorrow. Going to get something fancy as it looks like being a bit of a rainy day on Friday.

munded

Unknown but wanted to download that remote access software so they could run speedtests through his laptop. Informed BT that soemone clearly ahd access to their engineer’s timetable, said well known and seemed unphased. No phone line will prob help protect against phone phishing….

Jamie
    Free Member

Seems someone in BT’e much maligned Indian call centres is selling data.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/06/bt_call_scam/

I thought they had pledged to move everything back to the UK a few years back?

munded

Me too, guess that idea looked expensive then…

nickhit3
    Free Member

Seems someone in BT’e much maligned Indian call centres is selling data.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/06/bt_call_scam/

I thought they had pledged to move everything back to the UK a few years back?

without wishing to turn this into a standard BT rant.. I believe that is their intention yes. However i had a bad experience with a new build FTTP install, now thankfully resolved (openreach were great in my experience when on site- BT was overwhelmingly the problem). It took from August 10th to October 5th 2016 to get a service. Moved into property Aug 26th.. on two occasions i was passed to Indian call centres during the total 9.5 hrs of mobile phone time I accrued- BOTH times they attepted to place copper line install orders, which surprise surprise were cancelled WITHOUT any notification as the development is FTTP only.. Waited 3 weeks on one occasion before I found out the cancel had occurred 24 hrs after it was placed. Furious. No apology. No F*cks given.

Fast forward to our contract negotiation that i just did last week, and i was cheerily told that “alot has happened to improve that situation since your incident there” which was irritating…

So, I’d be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt there if it wasn’t for the fact that it’s just taken took two calls to get two different ‘non negotiable best deal ever offers’ I chose the cheapest and called it a day. Service has been great from day one, by my god what a hateful operation they run. Having worked for BT in the early 2000’s, it seems nothing has really changed.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think that comes from it being such an unweildy behemoth that has had 100 years to fester to this point.

nickhit3
    Free Member

true enough! I must say for balance, the product has been excellent with BT (fibre bb only for us). Speeds are as quoted and haven’t varied or dropped once during the contract. Which I think is a first for me over many years of shitty ADSL BB. Staff are always pleasant on the phone too, which makes it all the more frustrating when whey cant follow up on issues/pass you to the right dept/call back/email.. the basics are all still a total lottery.

My own training to be a billing operator was 8 weeks iirc. I’m sure the army can teach you to kill someone in less time. So its not a lack of investment. Its a mystery to me even having passed through their staff system. And, as i pointed out above, bad treatment is sadly NOT limited to the overseas staff in my experience. If only it Was that black and white!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any BT Openreach engineers out there?’ is closed to new replies.