Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Any BMXers on here?
  • pinhead
    Free Member

Just started getting into it,after 20 odd years off it 😕

anyone think i can pick it up quickly?
    something else to do and go indoor when weather bad 8)

robsoctane
    Free Member

Well, my nine year old son is into BMX and he got into it pretty quickly. Found they make perfect street bikes. I can’t ride it for toffee!

Enjoy!

pinhead
    Free Member

you can but try rob,bet you could do it with practice

RobHilton
    Free Member

Owning a BMX doesn not a BMXer make.

I mostly use mine to go to the chip shop 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep I ride bmx but I haven’t used mine for ages. Hoping to change that on Tuesday if the jumps at Corby are open this week. Love bmx for dirt jumping, mtbs feel awful in comparison. Not really a fan of skateparks any more though, too many kids on scooters with no park etiquette!

slowrider
    Free Member

Jedi does BMX coaching, great fun! I’m still pants though, only because I haven’t given myself the time to practice what he showed me

biker66
    Free Member

I got back into BMX a few years ago (I’ll be 46 this year). I started on a 24 inch cruiser, thinking it would be fun to ride around doing bunny hops and a few old school tricks. BMX was my life back in the eighties.
    Now on my third BMX. A proper 20 inch, custom. I just love it and ride it much more than my mtb. living in london it’s easy to go down the skate park for an hour or so and feel like I’ve had a good run. It’s not worth getting the mtn bike out for less than half a day.
    I’m really surprised how I’ve progressed. I can actually do some things better than when I was right into it as a teenager. I learn slowly and don’t push myself too hard. Started off all padded up. Now just a lid and sometime knee pads. I find BMX’ers really friendly too and never felt anyone was taking the piss because I was old and a bit crap.
    Early Saturday and Sunday mornings in most skate parks there are the old Skater and BMX blokes having a go.
    It does take time and practice though. Once you get a few tricks and lines down though then you just flow with that and add a bit of height and variety as you feel like.

vinnyeh

thinking of getting a bmx for the winter, to ride at the local indoor outfit but never ridden, let alone owned one. Should I just get the cheapest one I can, in the expectation that I’ll break myself/lose interest etc? I’m over 50…
    Quite like the look of this, but no idea why. 🙂 wtp crysis

_tom_
    Free Member

This isn’t mine but I love how this looks. I always wanted a Barcode when I used to ride bmx around 2003-2005ish

biker66
    Free Member

I had a go of some kids wethepeople complete. It was really good. think it was 20.50 top tube though. That’s what you want to look for. Mine is 21.25. Feels much less twitchy. I reckon a cheap complete would be fine, just get the longest tt you can.

pinhead
    Free Member

I got a Kink Gap xl form Winstanleys last years model
    21″ tt
    Was at the indoor yesterday getting used to it a few tumbles but all good
    Although the weather was nice so should have gone to the outdoor one

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I built this up from a DK 6Pack frame I was given years ago, a 50quid s/h hoffman, a spark ck and some spare profile cranks. And a bit of plasticote spray on the bars and forks…

Used the DK frame as it was a bit longer in the TT, definitely agree for me at least the longer the TT the better coming from MTB. Mostly used for sprinting around town and mucking about on and pub comutes.

Did buy a FIT BF3 over here in oz for hitting the BMX track but it had a shorter TT and felt a bit too twitchy, was super easy to manual and pump through the rollers mind. Gave in in the end and got a Yeti Dj as the wrists were suffering.

I reckon BMX are ace for mucking about on and pump tracks but for me a compact hardtail is better for proper riding.

Euro
    Free Member

anyone think i can pick it up quickly?

No idea. How much time do you spend on it? What are you hoping to do?
    It’ll come down to practice and then more practice in the end. Have fun 😀

slowrider – Member
    Jedi does BMX coaching, great fun! I’m still pants though, only because I haven’t given myself the time to practice what he showed me

🙄 and 🙄 again.

Mountain bike coaching is bad enough, but bmx coaching is a step too far. **** OFF bmx coaches.

prezet
    Free Member

**** OFF bmx coaches.

Why? A lot of skills learned on bmx can easily be transferred over to mtb. I ride bmx when I can – this year I’ve hardly touched it since having my daughter. But it’s easier for me to sling that in the car and get to a local track that it is do a couple of hours round drive for some decent trails.

I find I can easily practise manualling, pumping, jumps etc on 20″ wheels and then use those same skills on the mtb.

bigad40
    Free Member

Just do it!
    Kids at skatepark are usually stoked to have a grown up around cos the co-ordless oiks go cause trouble somewhere else.
    Prepare to be asked to do some crazy tricks.
    Don’t expect to launch like some of the youngsters.
    Get a rhythm and you’ll love it.
    During school and early mornings all skateparks are deserted.
    Take shovel to local trails and dig before you ride.
    You will find most will welcome you.

prezet
    Free Member

Also expect the most common of questions from the groms like “How much was your bike”, “Can I have a go?” and “Do you want to swap your bike for mine?”

Normally the kids at bmx tracks/parks are good kids, even had one teaching me 180’s on a ghetto vert ramp.

binners

I used to race ‘back in the day’ and a few years ago bought a 24″ GT Pro Series. They’re great fun for blatting around locally. Though expect to be absolutely nackered!!! Its hard work after all those gears and 26″ wheels.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Take shovel to local trails and dig before you ride.

This.

I wish more people thought like this, I don’t DJ much but I guarantee ive still spent more time shovelling than riding.

Also just because the kids don’t wear helmets / pads don’t let that stop you. Those little blighter’s tend to bounce better than the older gentlemen…

slowrider
    Free Member

Mountain bike coaching is bad enough, but bmx coaching is a step too far. **** OFF bmx coaches.

Don’t quite know where to start with this. People who think they have nothing to learn are bad enough, but people too arrogant to take input from someone who knows what they are talking about is a step too far….

I’ve had coaching before I went to Tony so know the standard is varied to say the least. Don’t tar them all with the same brush though.

_tom_
    Free Member

This video is always wort a re-post 😀

[video]http://www.vimeo.com/38561302[/video]

pussywillow
    Free Member

Stick with it pinhead, Iv been doing it 6 month, tis a big difference to mountain biking but I’m now pulling 360’s outa bowl! Manuel for about 20 metres, all good for the skillz for mountain biking! 8)

scruff
    Free Member

Went over my local DJ trails yesterday, forgot how HUUUUUGE they are, prefectly sculpted, covered in the wet weather, no litter.

pickle
    Free Member

yeah, stick with it! it’s great fun but you don’t bounce like you used to.

here’s mine…….bit of a throw back to the 80’s mongoose]
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/robertbransby/IMG_20120604_111559.jpg%5B/img%5D

BigJohn

you don’t bounce like you used to

I’m 59 and I still bounce quite high (according to somebody who saw the crash).

pinhead
    Free Member

Pussy W you think ill be doing 360’s in 6 months time 😯

yes im going to try stick with it,some nice pictures above im loving the mongoose…

pussywillow
    Free Member

Sure u will lad! My next trick is the back flip! 8)
    I seen lads do it down at Wakefield bmx park, but think its best practising in the foam pit first!!! 😆

Euro
    Free Member

here’s mine…….bit of a throw back to the 80’s mongoose

Lovely bike, ProClass rims and all but the DK stem is mid 90’s 😉

slowrider – Member

Don’t quite know where to start with this. People who think they have nothing to learn are bad enough, but people too arrogant to take input from someone who knows what they are talking about is a step too far….

You could start by reading what I typed and not rearranging the words and adding in some of your own. Where did I mention I had nothing to learn? Where did I say I was too arrogant to take input from someone who knows….?

You can’t do something? The options are:

a) give up
    b) pay someone to show you how, then give up
    c) have a go at it anyway. You never know, it might be fun learning (slighlty different from being taught).

You sir, appear to be a b) all day long.

pussywillow
    Free Member

slowrider – Member
    POSTED 23 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

To be honest with ya lad, u’d be best saving yer money on a reet bmx an just practise practise and then practise! Tis the only way u’ll get better! People think that getting a coach will help them, and yeah it might to an extent but it’s all down to psychology, it’s in yer head that the coach has made u better…positive thinking, placebo affect! Confidence is the key here!
    Pinhead if u want to learn the backflip then u must commit and go for it without hesitation!!! U can do it but u need to know u can do it before u attempt it! Maybe practice first in a foam pit! Good luck wi it lad!

pinhead
    Free Member

pussyW i was asking if i could do the 360 in 6months time?
    but you reackon i should try a back flip before that? how soon before i get to back flip status?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Being taught how to ride a mountain bike is a bit of an odd concept. But a BMX? Come on! Can no one do anything under their own steam anymore?

BMX riding is all about learning, you’ll probably learn something new everyday.

Also, a foam pit is good advice. If you dont have access to one, just do what I did and tape yourself up with a load of packaging foam.

pussywillow
    Free Member

pinhead – Member
    pussyW i was asking if i could do the 360 in 6months time?
    but you reackon i should try a back flip before that? how soon before i get to back flip status?
    POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I really don’t know! How long is a piece of string?? It all depends on how much u practise and believe in yerself, but don’t fall into the trap that u think u need tuition!! That’s just bullshit! U need to learn confidence yourself without someone constantly telling ya! Good luck wi it mate! It will deffo make u a better rider!

xiphon
    Free Member

Bought this with the intention of riding the skatepark behind the house… but unfortunately it’s designed for skaters/scooters (ultra tight transitions).

Tried BMX racing at the local track – what a hoot! So now it’s a BMX race bike…

Talking about tuition, I see English needs a bit more work…

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Nice bike xiphon…by the way, is this an English lesson or Sumat! 😆
    Leave poor pussywillow alone, he’s a good lad, and you never know, he may not even be around to defend his self! 🙄
    Op…bmx is the future my friend! 8)

slowrider
    Free Member

a) give up
    c) have a go at it anyway. You never know, it might be fun learning (slighlty different from being taught).

You sir, appear to be a b) all day long.

I’d say I was more of a d) get invited for my first go on a BMX with a mate who happens to be a coach. Have a wicked time and learn a heap load of stuff.

You could start by reading what I typed and not rearranging the words and adding in some of your own. Where did I mention I had nothing to learn? Where did I say I was too arrogant to take input from someone who knows…

I did read what you said and disagreed with it. I found coaching amazing.

chiefgrooveguru

a) give up

d) Have a go anyway. Teach yourself through a combination of trial and error, copying what you’ve seen in photos, videos and in reality, applying stuff you’ve read about and applying stuff you’ve been taught when being coached. Maybe share those learnings with others instead of acting like a smug supercilious git. No offense.

Euro
    Free Member

None taken Chief.

I did read what you said and disagreed with it. I found coaching amazing.

So amazing you haven’t bothered with the bmx since? You’ve failed the bmxer test. Sorry. there’s that arrogance again

I can’t be the only one who thinks there’s something a bit weird about needing coaching to play with a toy? Ride it, express yourself, and maybe pick up a few cool tricks along the way. How’s that for a lesson? 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Coaching isn’t really needed for riding bikes but if it helps give you confidence and enjoy it more then why not? Worked for me for mtb’ing, don’t really see as much a need for bmx though for some reason.

pickle
    Free Member

I’ve had the pleasure of riding BMX with Jedi on many occassions, Not on a coaching level but i can definately confirm the guy is RAD! has an amazing level of enthusiasm and will definately help you get better on any bike.

Euro, the stem is a new school version of a Tuff neck, called Ruff Neck which is made by the same company as the frame 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

So amazing you haven’t bothered with the bmx since? You’ve failed the bmxer test. Sorry. there’s that arrogance again

I’d say arrogance was claiming there’s a test we have to pass to enjoy BMX.

Again, I’ve had MTB coaching and found it amazing. I went for a play on BMX, no formal coaching as such but learned a great deal from a guy who is a natural coach. You know the type; gives helpful advice and encouragement to anyone who wants it rather than judging if people are worthy of passing the BMXer test…

Euro
    Free Member

I’d say arrogance was claiming there’s a test we have to pass to enjoy BMX.

You may want to work on your humour skill set next time you’re on a course.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Any BMXers on here?’ is closed to new replies.