Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any Bluray player recommendations?
  • oddjob
    Free Member

Our cheap Phillips player just gave up working after a year or so. Can’t find the receipt so that’s going in the bin. It wasn’t very good anyway, took an eternity to switch on and open the drawer and made so much noise that it got in the way of hearing the film.

Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement for about £100? I’m looking at Panasonic as our TV is Panasonic.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Is your TV a “smart” TV? I’ve got an 18 month old Sony BD player that has iPlayer, You Tube and others built in. It cost little more than £100 or so back then, so there must be some crackers available now. I have a Panasonic TV by the way, and most functions on the BD player can be accessed through the Panasonic remote.

IanW
    Free Member

Sony Bluray has been the choice for a year or two now. Plug in an ethernet and you have youtube, iplayer, 5od etc. They also have usb connections for playing video files.

A recent update stops the software recognising avi or divx files but you can overcome this by renaming the extension mp4.

benslow
    Free Member

Just bought a Sony Blu Ray with iPlayer, You tube and Lovefilm built in. (new model just released)

Its wireless too and even over our poor 10Mbps link – even good when it drops below 1Mbps.

Excellent machine – the iPlayer app in particular is ace and gives access to HD BBC tv.

Here for £114

Cougar

Don’t stress too much about matching brands. They all use different names, but the VieraLink / RegzaLink etc over HDMI is the same technology and inter-compatible.

I looked into BD players in depth a year or two back and ended up with a Sony, it was the best player for the money by a long way (before that it was LG of all people). Dunno if that’s still true with the current crop but I suspect you wouldn’t go far wrong.

ransos
    Free Member

Another vote for Sony. Mine has wireless on a basic broadband connection yet will still stream iPlayer in HD. The remote operates basic functions on my Toshiba TV.

Cougar

Just bought a Sony Blu Ray

That’s the replacement for mine – I have the BDP-S360.

First thing that leaps out at me with the S390 is it’s an odd shape – you couldn’t stack another device on top of it.

oddjob
    Free Member

Sony it is then chaps.

Thanks a lot 🙂

Cougar

Bear in mind,

With a new model out, the old ones should be discounted now / imminently. Richer have the S380 for about £80, or £100 hacked for multiregion DVD (which is a bit cheeky as it’s just a code sent from a One4All remote, but saves you messing about doing it yourself).

rkk01
    Free Member

I thought the standard answer to this was:

PS3

Cougar

The PS3 is a consummate BD player, but a modern standalone player is a) better and b) cheaper.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any Bluray player recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.