Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any Bath/Devizes locals in – Kennet & Avon on a bank holiday
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Was thinking of riding to the in-laws – first half is ridgeway, the second half is Kennet and Avon tow path.
    I’ve done it before but only on a week day and there’s plenty of space etc, is it a bad idea on a bank holiday weekend, does it usually get rammed at weekends?
    cheers

flashes
    Free Member

Which bit? Bath to Bradford on Avon is pretty good although you’ll obviously get parents with kids, parents with dogs, parents with kids and dogs, parents with kids on bikes, parents with dogs on bikes, well, it does feel like that. If it’s Bradford on Avon eat at the Lock Inn, have an all day breakfast and all will be good with the world. If it’s Devizes to BOA, it’s a bit narrow in place but less used, both bits are OK……..

llama

The run into bath is busy every sunny weekend. It’s fine as long as you don’t mind a bit of stop start. It is a national cycle route, but be considerate. A bell might be useful. If it is wet then fit mud guards. Trust me on the mud guards.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Cheers both, it would be Devizes to Bathampton.
    Probably later in the afternoon by the time i get there so sounds like it’s still worth a shot.

flashes
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. It was bone dry on Tuesday…..

dovebiker

Devises-Westminster canoe race is 14th-17th April

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks dovebiker, could be pretty busy around Devizes then, but i should miss that.
    cheers

Moses

BoA to Bath is rammed on weekend afternoons. Be prepared for a slow ride. Dog walkers with headphones and long dog-leads are a speciality.

DavidB
    Free Member

Devises – Westminster will not be a problem if you join canal at top of Caen Hill instead of further east.

I have done this trip on sunny weekends. It is not as bad as others make out, for sure busy in town centres but just be patient and use the bell a lot and you’ll be fine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any Bath/Devizes locals in – Kennet & Avon on a bank holiday’ is closed to new replies.