Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Any Bailey Bridge experts?
  • Houns

Being STW I’m sure we’ve got a few folk who know about these bridges

A structural survey has identified that some transom clamps are missing, the report sadly doesn’t state how many are missing. I’ve been tasked to source replacement clamps, and to possibly fit them. (Yes, I know)

So how many transom clamps should each section and side have?

And, do they need to be fitted by a professional who knows what they’re doing?

Thanks

spot1978
    Free Member

I’ve inspected a few of them in the past (quite a while ago). From what you’re saying it sounds like there are too few tansom clamps that connect the transoms (cross girders) to the main truss.

Juts having a quick google and to see where the clamps are positioned.

https://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/10582/determining-the-difference-between-us-bailey-bridge-uk-bailey-bridge-mabey-com

I found this text:

And the transom clamps are used to fasten the transom onto truss

it comprises three parts as brace, hanging beam and supporting rod, used for fastening transom. On the brace top, there is a raised head, to be put into the nick of the transom pad while installing. One end of the hanging beam catches on the slotted hole of the truss montant, turn the supporting rod with push rod (or wrench) to press upon and fasten the transom. The transom bolt & nut may not bear too much upward load; therefore, while the transom is held by jig, no jacking is allowed to use under the transom. Refer to the follow chart for fastening the transom.

will see if I can dig out some more

spot1978
    Free Member

This document looks interesting, page 17 seems to show transom clamps

timbog160

I’m afraid I have nothing useful to add, but talk of Bailey bridges always brings this to mind 😀

Houns

Thanks Spot. I couldn’t Google at work as my phone signal is dire, took me 20 minutes to upload this post.

thols2 we’ve been in touch with Mabey, but apparently our bridge is very old and they can’t supply the parts needed

Pook

Invented by Donald Bailey. He was from Rotherham you know.

We’re not all about chips and teenage pregnancy.

Houns

Before I try and source said clamps I need to know if they are a standard size? Obviously if Mabey say they don’t supply spares as it’s so old, that suggests that I won’t be able source new clamps anywhere, and that current clamps just won’t fit. I’ve found ex-army clamps on eBay but don’t know about size/fitting

It’s beyond my scope this, even if I do find the correct clamps I don’t fancy dangling above a river to fit them

Some pix for ref

timbog160

Houns

You should try a question on HMVF, or a wanted ad on Milweb.net. I’d be very surprised if someone on there can’t at least answer your questions…

Houns

Good idea 👍🏻

epicyclo

If you know any ex Royal Engineers, you’ll probably find someone who knows where there’s spare parts…

dti

Try beaver bridges
    Henry is a fountain of knowledge

singlespeedstu

Makes note not to drive over that bridge.

Houns

Ah it’s safe, your Ebike will be fine on it

Will have a look at Beaver Bridges, they’re relatively local (and Bad Obsession Motorsport offices are around the corner)

timbog160

You could pop in for tea! (To BOM I mean)

singlespeedstu

We’ll cross one at a time to be sure it’s safe.😜

z1ppy

You could pop in for tea! (To BOM I mean)

Maybe ask them to whip up a bracket?

peekay

Can you not ask your surveyor for more info or advice?

If they are professionally competent and familiar enough with Bailey Bridges to spot that there are insufficient clamps, they surely they can also tell you how many more are required.

Houns

Agree peekay, more information needed to be on the report. I’m just going to tell my Director that I’m not qualified to find out what parts we need, and even if they can be sourced, that I’m not qualified to fit them, I’ll no doubt end up dropping something vital in the river (not a big river, at normal flow it’s about 3-4m wide and 1-2m deep)

Having a BoM brew or bracket would be awesome, however I just think it’s their office/correspondence address, I think their workshop is hidden in the hills somewhere South/South West of Shrewsbury

Sandwich

Maybe ask them to whip up a bracket?

Not if they want the repairs completed in a timely fashion. Admittedly the BOM brackets will be things of beauty.

timbog160

Not sure why I’m so intrigued by this thread. Can we have more pics please Houns. There seem to be a few Chinese suppliers of Bailey bridge components. Maybe drop one of them an email. I have had a surprising amount of success like this in the past…

drnosh
    Free Member

Being as the bridge is already short of these clamps, can you actually remove 1 more, get it drawn up, reverse engineer and get some more fabricated?

Have you had to put a weight or usage limit on the bridge until this is sorted out?

Houns

Bridge is safe, report has stated that it’s not an urgent issue to sort.

I’ll post more pix of the bridge when I’m back at work over the weekend

Houns

Finally had chance to take a picture

timbog160

Absolutely smashing! Reading Wikipedia Monty was a big fan, and they had an interesting snippet about how parts were fitted to one end of a test bridge, and removed from the other to keep a continuous flow going.

Houns

I’ve spotted another one near me (over the cut by Merry hell centre for the locals) today, when I’m allowed out again (covid isolating) I’ll take a picture

sobriety
    Free Member

Judging from the age of it, were the clamps ever there in the first place?

Could it be that when it was assembled less were used based upon the loads it was expected to bear, and this reasoning has been lost to the mists of time?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Any Bailey Bridge experts?’ is closed to new replies.