Any Airnimal Rhino riders here?

Home Forum Bike Forum Any Airnimal Rhino riders here?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Any Airnimal Rhino riders here?
  • TiRed

I bought one on the bike to work scheme about 12 months ago, mainly for riding with the kids on easy trails and road (used my Brompton previously). Because it folds in the car and a case for flying. Folding is not its forte, however.

Of course Son1 is older and now has a Specialized Hardrock – also known as "The River Bike" as it was found in the Thames – sealed bearings are amazing, and Son2 a Kona Hula.

So we had our maiden off-road session at Swinley Forest on May Bank holiday, my first real off-road singletrack, and yes the 20" wheels can keep up with an invincible novice 12yo boy. Even over the technical MTB section. Had to get out of the saddle a lot and put teh weight far back to avoid pitching over the bars in places.

So does anyone else ride a Rhino off-road? I have no idea of its relative competency, but didn't feel that the small wheels really held me back. I have to say that the 8 speed Alfine hub is fantastic, shifting without pedaling seems very natural and one is always in the right gear, but the bike needs better (i.e. real knobbly) tyes. Any suggestions for 406 rims?

I'm now looking at a Genesis ioid or a singlespeed – as I am used to riding fixed on the road, and fancy a "real" MTB to go with it.

Regards,
    Daren

PS if anyone wants to try it, I'll be back most weekends… It's an easy bike to spot – black, small wheels, hub gear… MTX rackback and two boys off in the distance!

Premier Icon maxray
    Subscriber

🙂 never thought people actually bought the rhino, an expensive bit of kit! I looked at something similar but ended up with a dahon. Got any pics?

TiRed

I'll post some novice pictures after my next trip this weekend. In the meantime, anyone seen any good 406 tyres?

regards,
    Daren

TiRed

Spent two hours out with the boys on Sunday evening with Merlot the dog. Lovely weather, although I may have over-done it as the boys struggled to wake up Monday (they also raced at Palmer Park on Saturday).

Anyway here are a couple of pictures – apologies for the quality, the G11 didn't have the memory card, so they were taken with my blackberry Bold.

Bike (and dog)
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1151339&id=1070834122#!/photo.php?pid=1151338&id=1070834122&fbid=1405163563704

Bike doing real singletrack – it's quite a dip on 20" wheels!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1151339&id=1070834122#!/photo.php?pid=1151338&id=1070834122&fbid=1405163563704

The small wheels make one concentrate harder – Son1 can disappear on his Hardrock. The MTX rackpack is superb, and I have had no issues with the mudguards either.

regards,
    Daren

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any Airnimal Rhino riders here?’ is closed to new replies.