Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any advice / experience of the Canyon Strive / Spectral 650b's
  • orangesoul
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m looking to replace my very long in the tooth Orange 5 over the next few months and was wondering if anyone has ridden or owns the Strive or Spectrals (either carbon or aluminium).

Looking to hear if they’re any good, what the sizing like (I’ve heard the top tube is quite short), how they compare to other bikes in that category…what else would you go for?

Cheers,

Ed

boxxer7
    Free Member

I bought a Spectral AL ex8 in December, I’ve done just short of 300 miles on it since it arrived. I really like it a lot my previous bike was a Stumpjumper evo carbon.

It pedals really well I don’t really need to use the CS on the dbinline but when you do it makes the bike very very neutral when pedalling but like I said pedals really well anyway.

It loves to be pointed downhill, really stable at speed can get a little flustered if it’s really rough but you come out the otherside with a big smile. It loves to jump to a really playful ride. I’ve no idea if the other spectrals are same I think the EX was slightly slacker than the other bikes.

Spec wise it’s spot on my only gripe was the Sram Roam wheels only had the 16tooth ratchet fitted rather than the 36T one but I just swapped my old ones over so that was easily sorted.

orangesoul
    Free Member

Thanks Boxxer7…how does it compare to your Stumpjumper?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I’ve got a spectral last years model great bike good all rounder, had no real issues with top tube lengths size is medium.
    Had a spin on a new Santa Cruz solo the other day ( but only uphill) size was large and it felt more cramped than the canyon.
    Standard fox 32’s on the canyon where not very good upgraded to pikes superb now

j40aja
    Free Member

My mate got a Strive at the turn of the year and loves it, think he said it was either one of the best or the best bike he’s ridden. It’s his first non 26″ wheeled bike and couldn’t believe how much it just felt right.

Stu661
    Free Member

I got a Strive Race 9 just before Christmas and have had a few rides on it. I am happy to say its a good bike and feels very light and planted on the trails, handles my local trails no bother where that be rocky hill stuff or steep mud DH. Can’t say I’ve noticed any great advantage with 650b apart from on one section of flat trail the bike does carry more speed over it.

The shapeshifter works well and does change the way the bike feels. I ordered a Race small as that is what the fit finder said and was worried it would be to small but the fit is perfect and bigger than my old medium nomad. I think the old strives where short but the new race ones are not.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Compared to my stumpjumper I would say it’s more stable at speed and more playful, it’s one of them bikes that feels like it wants to go faster and faster. I haven’t noticed the drop in travel either, I was tempted to go to 160mm but tbh I’m glad I didn’t.

My riding is very varied I do at least one XC ride a week also do uplift days with friends at the weekends and a few races. I suppose it depends really what sort of bike your after

pilotrcuk
    Free Member

How are you guys finding the shapeshifter to setup and operate – is it a hassle or does it work OK? Was it a faff to find the right pressure for operation?

chakaping
    Free Member

As suggested above, the Strive Race bikes are bang up to date and longer than most bikes.

There’s bound to be a Spectral Race in the 2016 range, which could be a great UK bike.

If you’re loaded, the new Orange Five looks lovely and has long geometry too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any advice / experience of the Canyon Strive / Spectral 650b's’ is closed to new replies.