Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any Aberdonians about….can’t identify parking / going to Shetland
  • Waderider
    Free Member

I’m booked on the ferry to Lerwick from Aberdeen this evening as a foot passenger with a (touring) bicycle. Problem is I can’t identify parking close to the harbour that isn’t so expensive that I would have been better off taking the car to the islands.

Anyone with local knowledge of where to park? Willing to cycle in, preferably by a low traffic route, from somewhere further out from the harbour.

I need to set off in a couple of hours, but as I’m only committed a foot passenger fare I’m considering other options 1)stay at home 2)go via Orkney assuming parking is reasonable that way 3)going to the Outer Hebrides instead.

Done Orkney and the Outer Hebs loads though but never been to Shetland, so a I’m miffed that I’m finding organizing parking so difficult. £17.50 a day is the cheapest I’ve found, could be there for 12 days so not cheap.

TheFlyingOx

If you’re willing to cycle from the airport you can park for around £3/day depending on how cheeky you fancy being – you could park at the long stay opposite Bristows Helicopters and then when you get back nip in to the heli departure lounge and validate your ticket in the machine to get the offshore parking rate. Obviously I can’t recommend this and you’d be on the hook for the full price should you get collared.

Alternatively, and much less cheeky, Aberdeen Airparks is about £5/day.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

As Flying ox said ….then the 727 bus then runs from the airport to town – every 10-15min if you don’t fancy the cycle.

Alternatively

there are some park and rides

https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/roads-transport-and-parking/public-transport/park-and-ride

grantyboy
    Free Member

park out the west end on one of the roads off Great Western Road or down Holburn St, you’ll be no more than a 10 min cycle to the ferry and your car should be fine there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

grantyboy has it. Dont leave your car over in torry – as tempting as it may be.

matt_outandabout

I left a car at Balgownie road area for a couple of days before – just by the old bridge. It was a reasonably busy road, so car was safer than a quiet backstreet.

I have also left a car for a week on Riverside Drive – a usual place for canoeists on the Dee.

Short cycle from either

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Once upon a time (around 15 years ago) I lived in Footdee or Fittie as it’s known locally.  No charge for car parking so you could park there and walk round to the ferry in about 15-20 minutes. New Pier Road if you want to Google Maps it

notlocal
    Free Member

Park outside my work compound. Same complex as Bridge of Don Garage on Denmore Road, Bridge of Don. CCTV coverage 360° and our unit is staffed 24 hr. Approximately 10 mins by bike or there’s a bus to Union Square depot opposite the harbour.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any Aberdonians about….can’t identify parking / going to Shetland’ is closed to new replies.