Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Any 1990’s HiFI gurus? Stylus/cartridge Q
  • Scapegoat

Wanting to listen to some of my older vinyl I dug out my turntable from storage. It’s a Dual CS 503-1 “audiophile” version, bought as a wedding present in 1990. The stylus appears to have died, so I set about trying to identify the cartridge. I’m pretty certain that it’s an Audio Technica AT 110E.

I’ve found a few places that sell the stylus, or a compatible one, but am I missing an opportunity to get an upgraded cartridge? If I did opt for a new one I’m not necessarily wanting to change the head or tone-arm, so it’s gonna have to be something compatible. Somewhat incautiously I’ll say budget isn’t an issue, but we’re talking about some occasional vinyl listening here, not some form of renaissance hipster lifestyle BS.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m so pissed off. When Mum died the technics turntable dad had disappeared thanks to my sister “tidying up”
    😠

Scapegoat

I know the feeling. The choir I was in in the early 70s made a recording each year and I’ve dug out three of the records, but the one I really wanted to listen to has mysteriously vanished. I suspect an over enthusiastic anti-clutterer with no sense of “sentimental” ……

twonks

I had turntables about that era and the go-to cartridge was an Audio Technica AT95E. The 110E sounds like a logical step up but I’ve not heard of it.

Been out of the loop a long time but see the 95E is still available.

Might be worth investing in one of them and see how you go, as a TT that old could probably benefit from a bearing and general over hall before an upgrade in cartridge.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have a 1986 Dual turntable that I had recommissioned by the local HiFi shop a couple of years ago and he fitted an AT100E. So your suggestion sounds spot on.

That said, it’s now not sounding at all good but I think the phono stage in my amp (also 1986) is playing up.

redmex
    Free Member

Was thinking of putting my Systemdek on sale as sparkly clean and serviced with the Japanese stylus blasting out Rubber Soul sounds so much better, I bought a Dual from Laskys was great in its day just looks dated now and the lid never looks good. Love playing with the balance on the old Beatles stuff. Neighbours must hate me this weekend

duncancallum

I’ve a techniks that needs a cartridge and a belt n I’ve no idea what to buy

Scapegoat

I bought a Dual from Laskys was great in its day just looks dated now and the lid never looks good.

I have no idea where the lid is. 😀

Scapegoat

I think I’ll just replace the stylus. Apparently the AT 110e was a step up from the 95, which was marketed to suit 33’s and 78s. At the end of the day the turntable sounded pretty good to my ear, and for the sake of a twenty five quid stylus I can always go big if I need to later.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve got a CS505-2 tucked away somewhere awaiting more space to put it in. IIRC it has a 110E, it always sounded fine to me.

I bought a Dual from Laskys was great in its day just looks dated now

IMO even in its day the Dual was never much of a looker.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Were turntables intended to be “lookers?”
    There’s not a great deal to work with and most of it is covered by tinted plastic.

Laskey’s. I used to spend hours in the Manchester store as a teen. It’s where I had a play with a Jupiter Ace home computer and gave points to cassette decks based on sexiness of the eject mechanism.

CountZero

Yes.

redmex
    Free Member
    redmex
    Free Member

Im embarrassed to show how bad it was a week agoSystemdek needs tlc https://imgur.com/gallery/d3ClW30

johnners
    Free Member

As CZ said, yes. Though IMO his first example is gopping and the second dull but these things are subjective. They’re undeniably trying to be something other than solely functional though. I’ve always liked the RP2 & 3.

redmex
    Free Member
    welshfarmer

Ah, I was waiting for a turntable thread to come up on STW. Now this is not a veiled classified ad, but I have in my possession (for the past 33 years) a Denon AU 310 Step up transformer the same as THIS

It was given to me by a good friend back in the mid eighties when he “upgraded” and already top end system. I used it for a few years whilst in uni but it has been in storage ever since. I really cannot see me ever using it again so if it might be of use to someone I would be happy to part with it. If anyone wants it and is happy to buy mrs wf a couple of bottles of wine for xmas and cover the postage I will happily send it on to you.

EDIT: Not a veiled classified as much as a very open classified 🙂

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Yes.

LOL, not really comparable with a Dual CS505 though, which was entry-level and all about sound quality bang for your buck.

zbonty

Blimey redmex, was it in use on a building site?

cinnamon_girl

Amazed that anyone else has Dual hifi. My late 70’s/early 80’s amp is still going strong but the record player died quite a few years ago.

redmex
    Free Member

Zbonty i’m the building trade well spotted but it’s been up the loft since ’91 when i bought my 50se Marantz cd player that still works great. I got a bit carried away with the pics as I’ve finally worked out how to post them on here. Cinnamon girl i have a Dual cs515 works and sounds good just a wee hum before the needle hits the record but does look plastic and dated but up for sale if anyone wants it

cinnamon_girl

@redmex must confess to taking my time leaving vinyl behind but much prefer CDs now and they sound so much better. You could put an ad in Classifieds?

redmex
    Free Member

I play cds and digi radio and Spotify but there is something about vinyl that sounds and feels good. Getting my old Systemdek back how it should be was like being back in my twenties, no kids, buying my first Rockhopper and fellow mountainbikers were like Bengal tigers

failedengineer

I dug my Dual 505-2 out a couple of years ago, it sounds great. I’ve just had to replace the power cable to stop a random annoying buzz. Common problem apparently. Cartridge and stylus are A&R.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Any 1990’s HiFI gurus? Stylus/cartridge Q’ is closed to new replies.