Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Antur Stiniog – Opinions?
  • bombjack

Looks like I might be heading over to Antur Stiniog next week, aside from the fact that its uplift only what’s the place like to ride? I’m not an out and out downhiller, I’m happy hitting reds not blacks and I’ll be taking my mid travel Intense rather than the XC bike… I’ve ridden the Cwmcarn DH and BPW recently so apart from the rocks (which look HUGE) on the vids, is there anything else to look out for? is it more gnar than Cwmcarn? Any recommendations on kit etc?
    Cheers,
    BJ

Premier Icon bedfordrd
    Subscriber

Strong back tyres… inflated correctly for rocks (personally – on the harder, rather than ‘softer for grip’ side of things, which is the mistake I made…) and take spare tubes.

I managed to pinch-flat my HD snakeskin on Mavic Crossmax rear (tubeless, dinged the rim 🙁 ), put a hole in the sidewall, and also a cut in the main carcass. Dinged rim and sidewall hole from pinch-flat from too little pressure, ripped tyre from the rocks/slate.

Spare tube in – 2 runs later, another pinch flat… Tube #2, and more pressure… this time ok.

My group had 6 punctures and 2 torn tyres between 5 people – most of them along the same stretch: where the blue splits, heading right first under a bridge, then to the bridge where the black split happens. 5 punctures all along there.

At least you’ll always have company when you’re walking down with at least 2 other riders who suffered the same fate! 😉

And watch the wind at the top!

legend

Stick on dual ply tyres, or be prepared to run properly high pressures.
    By the sound of it you’ll probably enjoy the tracks that go down the left of the hill, the two main ones maybe not so much

mindmap3

Another vote for dual ply tyres – I was OK, but one of the other guys suffered with loads of punctures. And I mean loads.

I enhoyed it but struggled with some of the more gnar stuff due to lack of skill and bottle. Its harder than BPW I think. The wind at the top was brutal when we went on October and the weather was a bit grim but the tracks generally road really well.

mindmap3

Oh and if the weather is grim, the showers will be the best quid you spend all day!

bombjack

Awesome, I normally run high pressure in the rear so I’ll dig out the heavy duty rubber and see how it goes. I think the car will be full of kit the way its looking. Here’s hoping for sunshine.

beamends

we did it mid december. weather was terrible non stop rain and rocks everywhere was sketchy to say the least couldnt see where i was going through goggles before half way down. my brother had 6 pinch flats on continentals, i was on ghetto tubeless with maxxis high rollers and no issues.

other than that id say you need a ‘proper’ bike if doing the black / double black. had a few goes on the prophet and was ok but wish i had more travel… the red and blue are good runs though

guy in the shop rated maxxis over anything as its rocky as ****!

fergal

The black drop at the end looks interesting, any thoughts.

Premier Icon julians
    Subscriber

The black drop at the end looks interesting, any thoughts

yeah, I thought theres no way I’m going over that.

Theres some great videos on you tube of people getting it wrong.

legend

other than that id say you need a ‘proper’ bike if doing the black / double black. had a few goes on the prophet and was ok but wish i had more travel… the red and blue are good runs though

Not really, was alright on a Five. Obviously can’t get the plough on in the same way but it was nothing too wild

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Really enjoyed it though it’s a while since I’ve been. All the tracks are pretty doable, I didn’t do the drop on the black (it doesn’t look technically difficult but it exploded my acrophobia!) but nothing else was any fuss on a trailbike. (I didn’t clear the doubles at the bottom either, but hey, neither did Danny Hart…) If I could only take one bike it wouldn’t be the dh bike

Oh aye, that was on normal tyres at normal pressures- there’s a fair number of hard edges on the rocks so if you’re a rockplough, yeah consider stronger tyres or high pressures but a little subtlety works fine too

beicmynydd

Start off on the new blue track it’s called the jumpar and as you get warmed up / more confident you can progress to the more difficult tracks.

if you can ride red blacks trail centre them you should have no problems on the blue runs.

dual ply tyres are recommended, high rollers are spot on. If you ride on tubeless tyres or single ply make sure you pump them hard, you can always let a bit of air out each run and see how it goes.

carlosg

I’m going on Sunday, only ever ridden a full DH bike there but have taken a 150mm travel bike down the Fort Bill track so assume you would be fine on a mid travel(140mm-160mm?) bike at Antur. My dual ply high rollers have been fitted and pumped up to nearly 40psi and I will be battering my way down the runs with absolutely no finesse at all. I’ve never done the drop at the bottom yet despite 4 previous visits and doubt I’ll be going for it this time either.

docrobster

I rode it last year on my ageing 140mm marin. Tyres are key as above. Wet slate is slippy. Super tacky up front would be a good idea.
    We didn’t get any punctures in our group, which was a surprise as we’d had loads the day before coming down snowdon rangers. We were all on single ply maxis I think, all tubeless.
    I’m no downhiller and got down everything except the big drop on the black. Weather was terrible, wind and sideways rain. I think it always is in that part of Wales.
    Interesting to hear people rate BPW as “easier” as we’re off there in June. Can’t wait. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Antur Stiniog – Opinions?’ is closed to new replies.