Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Antidepressants – experiences of different ones?
  • FFJA
    Free Member

Hi all,

Taking a massive kicking from the black dog for a variety of reasons at moment, so on the premise my daughter is probably better with a dad despite what I might think am headed back to Drs on Wednesday.
    In the past I was I. (I think) 200mg of sertraline but I can’t say I’m excited for the feeling exhausted all day and erm manly problems.
    Anyone tried anything else I might get on better with. Ta.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Citalopram – Couldn’t come which made things worse (after a honeymoon period)

Mirtazapine – Weight gain made things worse

but what didn’t work for me, might work for you, which is the crux of the issue asking for advice

I’m not anti-meds, but lighter nights help, moving about helps, moving heavy stuff helps, cutting the booze helps, any local groups? Andy’s Mans Club seems to be the en-vouge group in the north at the minute

https://andysmanclub.co.uk/

and of course

https://www.samaritans.org/

Poopscoop

It’s very individual in my experience my friend. What works for others might not for you and visa versa.

Unfortunately this means being on a new med for say 6 weeks+ to see if it works… And if not, needing to be weaned off it before starting the process with a new one. You name it, I’ve been on it over the last 30+ years and unfortunately it is mostly random as to when you find the best one for you.

Ironically the ones I’ve been on with the least side effects have also been the ones that seemed to do bugger all for me, Prozac for instance.

The sexual issue is common across many of them too (low labido/cannot climax) as is a number of other “interesting” effects.

The best person to ask of course is your doc/psychiatrist.

Stick in there mate, your daughter most definitely *is* better off with you around.

duncancallum

I’m on citalopram again after a while off.

I don’t get so many if the effects . But everyones different

Northwind

Me- citalopram had few side effects but also was basically pretty weak, higher dose didn’t seem to achieve anything much except mess with my sleep a bit. Just wasn’t up to the job when I was really bad but is a really useful support when I’m doing better. I’m on a fairly low dose now with no ill effects and probably still some benefits, it is my ally.

Mirtazipan gave me terrible muscle twitches, especially in my legs, didn’t even try and get through the initial period.

Amitryptilene- zombie pills. I was glad for the help at the time but it only reduced my depression/anxiety by reducing me as a whole, I wouldn’t live like that long term. Slept like a baby though. If I had some massive setback and really just needed a big fast hammer blow of help at a cost, I’d ask for this again.

Sertraline- actually very effective, but for some reason gave me a lot of procrastination/circly thoughts, which made me quite ineffective. Stopped me getting a proper erection, which obviously cheers you up no end!

Thing is, these are all things that basically work by stirring up the bucket of homemade drugs that your brain stews in, and by definition it’s already pretty badly stirred up if you’re taking them in the first place. So side effects and effectiveness just vary wildly, you can’t draw a lot of useful info from other people’s. Except that it’s just sometimes necessary to try a bunch and that this process absolutely sucks, which is just exactly what you need when you’re depressed. But, it’s worth it, to find something that helps and I think most people do, it was definitely worth it for me in the long run.

Good luck!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

OK I do feel bad for laughing but, fantastic wording

tjagain

Thing is, these are all things that basically work by stirring up the bucket of homemade drugs that your brain stews in, and by definition it’s already pretty badly stirred up if you’re taking them in the first place. So side effects and effectiveness just vary wildly, you can’t draw a lot of useful info from other people’s. Except that it’s just sometimes necessary to try a bunch and that this process absolutely sucks, which is just exactly what you need when you’re depressed. But, it’s worth it, to find something that helps and I think most people do, it was definitely worth it for me in the long run.

This!  Very well said

andybrad

I must say that i had very good results with flourexotine. Its the only real anti depressant ive used while the wife uses a couple of different ones. One of them made her feel like a ghost and she was a lot worse on it than off it.

that said it took me about a year to get to grips with it. Initially i was like the guy out of the limitless film. I had no idea life could be positive!

I was very much against it initially. But as you say its better to try these things than not be here at all….

MoreCashThanDash

Currently on 30mg of Citalopram. Clearly no longer/stopped working as I’m also getting a kicking from the dog, light nights coming or not.

Not had any real side effects apart from dodgy stomach.

The first few weeks are a rollercoaster though, be prepared.

And meds won’t solve the underlying issues, they buy you time to try and work through them.

legometeorology
    Free Member

This thread is enlightening.

I’ve only tried flourexotine, but the only thing I got from it was erection problems after I stopped taking them. Given andybrad’s positive experience, this just supports the claim of others that what works is highly personal.

I had more suicide attempts during my late 20s/early 30s than I can count. The only thing that really helped me was intense meditation — Vipasanna specifically. I still have regular suicidal ideation, but unlike a decade ago, I can just observe the thoughts without feeling the need to act on them (just like I can observe my desire to murder Jacob Rees-Mogg without taking it seriously).

SaxonRider

200 mgs of Sertraline? That’s a high dose.

I experienced what you’re describing at 150 but when I reduced to 50*, the bad side effects stopped, and I’m on a generally even keel now.

Perhaps try sertraline again, but on a lower dose?*

*All under doctor’s guidance, of course!

dakuan
    Free Member

The only thing that really helped me was intense meditation — Vipasanna specifically

I’m really glad it worked for you, there are also substantial risks that come along with intensive use of these techniques. The staff are not medically trained and the organisation exhibits a cult like instict to protect its reputation over the welfare of its clients.

https://www.ft.com/content/b3ec8e57-5cf9-4f96-9267-56c3bcd9c102

faustus

Make it a priority to discuss the balance of side effects and therapeutic benefits with your doctor. That is a lot of sertraline, and I can imagine the side effects are strong. I’ve found the side effects change over time too. I’ve recently reduced sertraline and it feels better, but my guts don’t agree.

Main thing is you’re doing the right thing by yourself and your family. Hope you find the right balance.

FFJA
    Free Member

Thanks all for the replies. I’ve spoken to Dr today and have an appointment Thursday. Work have offered talking therapy too which I’ll try although I find it hard to talk about as there’s no “big cause” I can point to to explain it if that makes sense. Feels like to feel this shitty again there should be a reason outside of my own head. Hard to explain.

Kramer
    Free Member

Sexual dysfunction tends to be a class effect with all antidepressants unfortunately. It can also be related to the underlying condition too.

Talking therapy isn’t just about identifying an underlying cause for depression, it can also be about changing thought and action patterns which can be as helpful for some people.

Hohum
    Free Member

I tried Prozac/Fluoxetine for about 6 months and it worked surprisingly well at first, but it eventually made me feel like a robot.  The lows had gone, but so had the highs.

I then switched to Sertraline and have been on it for 7 or 8 years now.  It works really well for me.  The only side effect I noticed is that I cannot read books, but I was never much of a reader anyway.

I was on 150mg for 6 months, then went down to 100 mg for a year and then onto 50mg.  Going from 100mg to 50mg made me feel unwell for a few weeks.  I ended up with acute tightness in my jaw that I first thought was earache, but it did go eventually.

Prior to the pandemic I had been on 25mg for 18 months and I was considering coming off them completely for the spring/summer and going back to them in autumn/winter.

However, the pandemic plus other things, stopped that and now I am back on 50mg.

It works really well for me, but I have also had counselling and sometimes attend AA/NA meetings to “reset” things and get me back on the straight and narrow.

Poopscoop

@FFJA

Just a thought mate. When you see your GP id ask for a referral to your local mental health services whilst there. The wait will be considerable but it’s good to have the referral on the back burner. If you don’t need it nearer the time you can always cancel way before.

I’ve found that having the right “talking” therapies are just as good as the meds on occasions and often work very well when combined with medications.

All the best mate.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Work have offered talking therapy too which I’ll try although I find it hard to talk about as there’s no “big cause” I can point to to explain it if that makes sense.

Yea I’ve always struggled with this. No particular thing I can point to in my life that left me like this, nor any set of things. Indeed nowadays talking too much makes things worse.

Karmer point is important here, in that it’s about changing thought-actions patterns. I’ve had some limited success with this, but it’s hard work.

faustus

I’d say don’t be too hard on yourself for having a big ‘reason’ or event cause. Depression and associated mental health issues aren’t like PTSD which seems to be more about ‘events’. As others have said it’s more about ways of thinking. Likewise I can’t point to a ‘thing’, just accumulation of things over years. However it comes about the feelings for you are real. As others have said, embrace other options available to you if you feel up to it, even if it turns out to not be that beneficial, worth exploring other avenues for feeling better.

stanley

I have some experience with antidepressants:

2008-2009 Fluoxetine (for anxiety and depression). Made me feel even worse. Looking back, I’m not sure how I got through that period.

2011-2021  Citalopram   (for anxiety and depression). This included a year or two of being “off the meds” but I returned to them. Usually 20mg but I found that 10mg was enough to keep me right.  I wanted to get off them as although I didn’t experience any crushing lows, I didn’t ever feel particularly happy either… I just existed.

2023-   I’d been fine for 2 years when BOOM… got the cancer. Agonising neuropathy and low mood saw me try mirtazapine. Didn’t feel right at all. Stopped after a few weeks.

2023-2024   In agony with neuropathy, constant hot flushes and with extremely low mood. I just wanted to kill myself but couldn’t put family through it. Read up on “off-label” use of antidepressants. It appeared that some may help with my levels of pain / hot flushes and mood. Asked my GP if I could try paroxetine. He was happy with this. It knocked me out for the first couple of weeks. On top of my cancer related fatigue this was hard going… spent days on the couch! But after about 3-5 weeks I started to feel so much better: my pain levels are reduced and I genuinely feel happy (despite having S4 cancer!). The paroxetine has been brilliant for me… can’t believe how close I came to ending it all last year :-/      No libido but that’s probably my hormone therapy as much as the  anti-depressant.

During this time I was working within an NHS forensic psychiatry unit (Senior OT). Most of my patients were on some form of antidepressant (amongst many other meds). It sometimes took a while to get the right antidepressant in the right amount.

I’d suggest that you do some reading (research papers as well as mtb forums), make a few note then have a chat with your GP. And hang on in there… You WILL feel better 🙂

More of my story here if you were interested    https://adventureswithprostatecancer.com/

andybrad

Just to add i did have some issues with flourexetine. A year in i started to feel like a robot as someone puts it. Ive since found out its got a really short half life so you can come on and off it. I sometimes have a few days off it and dont see any negative effects. I then get back on it to get me through work and stuff. Strange but it works for me.

I havent had any issues with ED but the feeling like a robot does tie in with reduced sex drive. However im also a bit older now and i think these things start to reduce anyway?

lambchop
    Free Member

Quitting drinking, cutting out ultra processed foods and taking vitamins D (and K2) has worked better than any SSRI I’ve been on. 53 and no longer have brain fog and the peaks and troughs have levelled right out.

Fluoxetine gave me brewers droop, but I was drinking heavily at the same time so who knows?

Escitalopram was probably the best I used. On it for years with no side effects, even when I was drinking plenty of booze.

cheers_drive

Work have offered talking therapy too which I’ll try although I find it hard to talk about as there’s no “big cause”

I struggled with having no ‘big cause’, thinking that I had nothing to complain about and that so many others has a worse life than me so what right did I have to feel depressed. Sessions with a therapist convinced me that sometimes there is no cause and everybody is wired differently, just like physical ailments sometimes medication is the only way.

My medication history:

25 years ago Seroxat, now banned – Did help level my mood but i was still messed up and was lucky to survive coming off it after a year.

10 years ago Sertraline – it worked but knocked off to many highs as well as the lows. Someone else mention feeling like a robot which sums it up well.

Last 5 years Citalopram – Still get high and low emotions but more controllable or ‘normal’ even. Libido and ability to climax has been affected but for me, at least, that’s positive as my sex drive was always really high compared to my wife’s so now so now we’re closer matched which is also a positive on the mental side as I took her lower level of  labido personally.

dropoff

Has anyone tried Escitalopram i spent a few uears on Citalopram but they just removed all the highs.

footflaps

I had that on 40mg IIRC, but on 20mg it wasn’t so bad, but the effects wore off after a few months and everything went back to normal. 15 years ago now, so can’t recall that much detail, other than could shag for ever on 40mg, till I was bored stupid….

Possibly my libido is lower on 20mg / day, but again I’m 15 years older and can’t really recall what before was like it detail…

funkmasterp

Tried a few over the years and settled on Citalopram. I feel like an automaton and have low libido. Sadly it is the best of the bunch I’ve been on. Tried exercise, CBT, talking therapies etc and still end up on the AD’s. Resigned to the fact I’ll probably be on them for life. The alternative is being a mess and seeing little point in life. Even with the tablets it’s not great.

Escitalopram was probably the best I used. On it for years with no side effects, even when I was drinking plenty of booze.

Same. Well, I say that, but it’s actually the only thing I’ve tried – my point is I still drink on it (not massively) and don’t have any negative affects from doing so.

I’ve been on Escitalopram (Lexapro brand) for almost 2yrs now. Only 10mg, but it’s enough to take the edge off (anxiety mainly, but with bouts of low level depression). I have bouts of delayed ejaculation, but that’s the only side effect I’ve noticed (and even then it doesn’t take massive efforts to ‘get there’ if the desire is strong enough!).

On the bad days I wonder if I should be on a higher dose, but most of the time I’m glad I’m not.

I think I’ve been lucky, though. I tried one and get on with it. I don’t even want to switch to a generic equivalent in case it screws things up.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.