• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anti-snap locks / Euro cylinders
  • Pieface

If I can get a Euro cylinder that fits well and only protrudes a millimeter or 2 beyond the lock face, is an anti-snap lock necessary?

I guess you’d need a good few mm purchase to get enough leverage to snap them, therefore if I can get a good fit I can save some money by just going for anti-pick / bump?

Cougar

The lock face is on a handle which can be prised away from the door giving more purchase, n’est-ce pas?

Pieface

If that’s the case then I guess so, thought they were a gimmick.

Thanks.

footflaps

You can always whack a big screwdriver in the lock and then strike that with a hammer – will snap a flush cylinder.

Jason
    Free Member

I upgraded all our Euro lock cylinders a while ago, one of which I had lost the key for. I was amazed at how easy it was to break open…

bencooper
    Free Member

They are stupidly easy to break – only had to do one but it was scary.

Edit: First video that popped up on YouTube:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqhhXyROxQM[/video]

flatfish
    Free Member

She took her time!!!

By coincidence, I was working on a break in a couple of weeks ago when the SOCO turned up to dust for fingerprints and I asked him how many “snapped” cylinder break in’s he’d come across.
    In six years, he’s seen about 3.

I’ve been a locksmith for 10 years now, I’ve never seen one.

That’s not to say it doesn’t happen.

I do, however supply antisnap cylinder’s if I’m asked but would normally fit a standard euro cylinder.

Pieface

Is the anti-pick / bump feature worth paying extra for?

flatfish
    Free Member

If your getting an anti snap it’ll come with those features too.
    All new cylinders(anti-snap or not) come with mushroom drivers now a days which is an anti-pick/bump feature anyway.

enduroforever
    Free Member

Anti-bump cylinder or not, it takes seconds to break through a door and very quietly too if you know what your doing and have a few simple tools

scuttler

We had our locks snapped one night 4 years back and had two cars and some other stuff nicked – the point being that it was quick and quiet. It’s not an expensive upgrade and if you’re having a new door fitted, hardly an additional cost at all. If you’re extra paranoid (like I became) you can put PAS24 security door handles on too to make it much harder to get to the lock itself – http://hoppe.co.uk/door-window-handles/

@flatfish – not sure where you are but ask a West Yorkshire Police SOCO how many they’ve seen as it was/is an extremely prevalent MO around here to the point that they had some reasonably high profile campaigns.

flatfish
    Free Member

Miles away from West Yorkshire. I’m in Bristol.
    I had heard about there being a problem around that area TBF.

meehaja
    Free Member

In leeds its a big problem. I think council house doors had easy locks. It is such an easy way to gain access that when we call for police back up to break in, they generally bring a drill and molgrips (the tool not the member) rather than a ram.

I’m not a locksmith and I can “do” a euro cylinder in less than 2 mins (as demonstrated to my friend when she lost her keys!)

JoeG
    Free Member

molgrips (the tool not the member)

meehaja – so are you calling molgrips a tool or a dick? 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anti-snap locks / Euro cylinders’ is closed to new replies.