Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 238 total)
  • Anti Semitism and Labour
  • MSP

According to that 30pc of Labour voters are anti-semites which seems *way* OTT.

On the other hand, 40% of tories being racist seems a low ball figure.

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Interesting take on the issue here:

kelvin

God knows.

Those handy charts list some antisemitic tropes that you hear all the time, and aren’t all about the actions of the right wing government of Israel. Antisemitism is still rife in Britain.

Tropes

I fear a 2019 update to that would have us back to 2015 figures. The last few years have seemed more toxic to me. I still “feel” that it is more prevalent with Tory voters (and more pertinently with active Tory members) but all three UK wide parties have had to deselect candidates during the current election campaign because they have made antisemitic comments.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Two other points:

1- People can be ridiculously sensitive about things. My wife was speakign to a Bolivian (I think) friend who decided that our Labour MP ‘is a racist’ because she didn’t smile at her in the street. That is the only reason.

2- A party the size of Labour – 500,000or so members is going to have its fair share of dimwits and undesirables. You can’t vet them all, only deal with things after the fact, whatever procedures you put in place. The fact that the Tories have someone as unashamedly bigotted as Johnson in charge (never mind the rest of the Tory front bench) should be a real red flag to anyone with the slightest interest in fairness and democracy but for some bizarre reason he gets a free pass.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Those handy charts list some antisemitic tropes that you hear all the time

Speak for yourself, I’ve honestly never heard any of those.

kelvin

Well, we have one handy example in this very thread. Unless it’s been deleted. The poster even went on to claim that it’s “unlikely” they are antisemitic, despite posting antisemitic nonsense. That there is the problem.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fair enough buddy, I’ve only just checked back into the thread.

outofbreath
    Free Member

One was here:

The second graph was from here:

Credible sources. 🙂

More or Less did this in the Summer:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04yk0jf

Will listen later, I’m dubious about these numbers.

EDIT: No, wrong episode. I’m sure they did it in the Summer.

kelvin

Wasn’t that about something else entirely? It was a claim that most faith hate crimes were against Jews. But it was highly dubious, to put it mildly. It just didn’t stack up at all. That’s nothing to do with he prevalence of antisemetic views held by the population, or any group of voters. I’ll listen again…

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

The credible source is yougov. That those websites have used the numbers is neither here nor there.

Be as dubious as you like, these are surveys of british peoples attitudes presented in black and white (well, colour, bu you get what i mean).

As for fearing that we’d be back to 2019 numbers I can see no reason for that at all other than heightened ‘alert’ due to the ongoing media campaign against Labour.

kelvin

Yeah, hopefully people are being called out for their antisemetic views more, rather than them being more prevalent (or more public). I hope you are right.

EDIT: No, wrong episode. I’m sure they did it in the Summer.

It is the right episode… just got to this bit. They boiled it down to about 25% of people still holding an antisemetic view (back in 2015, and the data above suggests that had fallen by 2017).

outofbreath
    Free Member

Wasn’t that about something else entirely?

As I said I’d got the wrong episode. I am sure More Or Less covered AS this summer, I don’t recal any of the detail but I do recall is was survey based. Google isn’t helping much.

Here’s some numbers from 2017 that appear to be based on similar questions:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41241353

Again there must be something missing. I can’t belive that 25pc of use are a) Anti Semetic, b) Willing to pretty much admit that to a stranger on the phone.

…and then at the same time they conclude were one of the least Anti-Semetic countries!

kelvin

Willing to pretty much admit that to a stranger on the phone.

Again, it’s because they think their views are not antisemetic!

Take our example in this thread…

‘Chase money’ tick
    ‘Too much power in the media’ tick

But say they are “unlikely” to be antisemetic.

outofbreath
    Free Member

It is the right episode… just got to this bit.

If they mention a telephone survy then it could well be. Scary that what I remember as a very recent summer (In my recollection I was driving in daylight) would have been a winter 4 years ago!

gauss1777
    Free Member

Kelvin:

Well, we have one handy example in this very thread. Unless it’s been deleted. The poster even went on to claim that it’s “unlikely” they are antisemitic, despite posting antisemitic nonsense. That there is the problem.

In fairness shouldn’t you perhaps quote what they said, as I don’t remember it being that clear cut. And you appear to be suggesting that the person is anti-Semitic, who made you judge and jury?

kelvin

who made you judge and jury?

> sigh <

Read and judge for yourself.
    I’m out of here.

Just perhaps a lot of jewish people own large companies,which Mr Corbyn will be hopefully taxing more, to pay for more services that need more help. They have a huge tax bill looming and are coordinating a huge uprising against him, supported by the media…

gauss1777
    Free Member

who made you judge and jury?

> sigh <

Read and judge for yourself. I’m out of here.

Just perhaps a lot of jewish people own large companies,which Mr Corbyn will be hopefully taxing more, to pay for more services that need more help. They have a huge tax bill looming and are coordinating a huge uprising against him, supported by the media…

I read that, perhaps naively as ‘some owners of large companies…’ and the Jewish part of the statement as poorly worded speculation. Having never been on the receiving end of hate speech it is perhaps difficult for me to see things the same way as you, but it does not appear as clear cut as your assertion that the poster is anti-Semitic.

sobriety
    Free Member

It’s the implications in it, it’s implying that Jews are well off, own businesses, don’t like paying taxes and control the media.

All of which are good old-fashioned anti semetic tropes.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I think I’m doing a worse job than usual of posting clearly/coherently, so it should probably be me who takes time out. Apologies for any offence.

kerley
    Free Member

A party the size of Labour – 500,000or so members is going to have its fair share of dimwits and undesirables. You can’t vet them all,

I joined the Labour party a few years ago and didn’t get asked any questions about whether I was a racist. Once a member I could spout all sort of racist shit wherever I wanted. The Labour party issue is that I should have be ejected if I did so. No if, no buts – it is not a human right to be a member of a political party so just cancel the membership immediately.

Not sure if this happens but guessing it doesn’t.

outofbreath
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04yk0jf

Will listen later, I’m dubious about these numbers.

I was right first time. More Or Less FTW, once again.

It’s the first segment so you get right to it.

Sandwich

Yes, she’s of historical note as the first female MP

Wrong, that was Constance Markievicz of Sinn Fein who, in line with party policy, never took her seat in Westminster. Won Dublin St Patrick’s in 1918 from Holloway.

Source

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Thank goodness for democracy!!

Now we have a passionate zionist heading Her Majesty’s Government and won’t have to worry about all those nasty racists any more…

Predators and Prey

kerley
    Free Member

Nobody will give a shit about any anti semitism now the election is done. It won’t ever get mentioned again in the press.

rone

Nobody will give a shit about any anti semitism now the election is done. It won’t ever get mentioned again in the press.

That’s a really strong point.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, Labour can fill their boots with antisemitism now they have no chance of seizing power. They’re irrelevant.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Good article. I’m certainly not going to tar a huge demographic with the same brush but a decent proportion of these Corbyn hating Tory voting working class are xenophobes or racists, and yet they’d never vote for him because he’s an antisemite. There was a heated discussion the other day on a friends facebook where a few of these creatures felt empowered to crawl out of the woodwork, one comment was along the lines “Corbyn scum haha, great now all these dirty ****ers can **** off back home lol.” So I asked him if Corbyn being an antisemite is one of the reasons he hated him so much? “Yes, and many other things”. The ignorance is astounding.

locum76
    Free Member

It’s a new right wing trick to win votes. Call anyone that speaks out against the Israeli government’s terrorism an antisemite. Trump’s started doing it to Bernie. A jew who’s parents fled the holocaust. They had a lucky escape. Larry Sanders told me all about it when we spent a week together on Iona with others at a Conference.

kerley
    Free Member

Larry Sanders told me all about it when we spent a week together on Iona with others at a Conference.

You spent a week with Larry Sanders, very envious.

outofbreath
    Free Member

BillMC

You do wonder whether some on here actually have any interest in mtb or even have any bikes.

martinhutch

Anti-semitism definitely cost them the election.

If they sort things out now, in five years they can get a magic spoon that was once licked by Golda Meir.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not sure this is helping, Chris…

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Is this the kind of thing that is considered antisemitic?

boomerlives
    Free Member

and yet they’d never vote for him because he’s an antisemite

They didn’t vote for him because he didn’t have enough political nous to say “sorry”. It demonstrated how inept he was.

BillMC

Would you apologise for something you didn’t do? Asking for an apology is a trope for an admission of guilt, ‘tropes’ are all about putting words in others’ mouths to call them out and shut them up, like M Phillips.
    I used to have regular meetings with FoI and gradually as I discovered the mindset and modus operandi I was appalled. Phrases like ‘all ethnic groups compete’ shocked me having sat on countless interview panels where the last thing on my mind was advantaging someone’s application because of their particular ethnic group or engaging in ethnic cleansing.
    I do wish someone would produce some evidence of who, when, where, what did they say. With modern technology it shouldn’t be difficult, if the evidence is there.

footflaps

Would you apologise for something you didn’t do?

He would be apologising as Labour Leader rather than as JC, so it’s just part of the job.

BillMC

As a leader I’d still want evidence, that’s part of the job.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 238 total)

The topic ‘Anti Semitism and Labour’ is closed to new replies.