Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 432 total)
  • Anti mask anger – anyone explain it to me?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Can anyone explain why?

Perhaps they assume they are immune?

Yesterday on the back of the announcement about Omicron I advertised that masks please of visiting my workshop, lots of negativity including an “I hope you go bust” comment 🤣🤣🤣

Some people are not nice.

I wear mask at work or to shop all the time. For me I just wear one regardless and if they step too close to me I simply move back to maintain the distance. I don’t need people speaking to my face one feet away. Oddly at work there are some colleagues who simply don’t wear one and go about their life as normal. Not sure their reasons but I ain’t asking and if they wish to speak to they just have to speak to me at a distance I am comfortable while I wear my mask.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Told you we need covid lick blocks in all town centres…

Lets see how many anti vaxx/mask folks fancy a lick

Caher

Hardly anyone in Tesco today was wearing one, even the door security wasn’t wearing one either. But on Friday most people in Waitrose were.

slowoldman

But why the anger and vitriole

Because they have no argument. Therefore they can only rant.

monkeyboyjc

I’ll see tomorrow what % of my customers do….

Thing is, it’s been gov advice to wear a mask and follow ‘common sense’ in places like shops for ages, it’s just not been mandatory – but there’s been a huge drop off of people actually doing it. In my shop around 80% of  people just don’t bother.

Ive been having one on 10hrs a day since they were introduced last year. Anyone that kicks up a fuss I’ll had my local MPs email address and say please write down any grievances to her…

gauss1777
    Free Member

Here very few folk don’t wear them.

This is not my experience. I pretty much hate wearing mine. It’s okay on public transport, in shops etc; but to wear one at work all day is unpleasant. However, I do wear one religiously as it’s important. My colleagues at work are forever taking them off. My boss, for one, who makes a point of telling everyone that they must wear one, is frequently not wearing theirs. This is despite having a persistent cough – “oh, it’s not covid”. I tell them constantly that they should put one on. Also, ~50% of pupils either do not wear one for ‘medical’ reasons, or it is mostly a chin warmer.

anagallis_arvensis

It’s because people are **** stupid and they know they are stupid and that makes them angry. I got a few trains into and out of London, despite all the notices saying you should wear a mask the large majority didn’t bother.
    It’s not helped by the idiot mixed messages coming from the UK government who pander to the stupid for votes.

chestrockwell

I follow Guido on Twitter simply to see what the mouth breathers are up to.

When they announced yesterday that masks were back in fashion you can imagine the response. There are more of them than you think!

MoreCashThanDash

Because they have no argument. Therefore they can only rant.

That’s pretty much it I reckon.

To be fair, our local Aldi had more people wearing masks on Friday than there has been for a few months.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered how these people would react if they were being wheeled in for surgery and no-one in the theatre could be arsed to wear a mask

grum
    Free Member

Many countries are specifying FFP2 masks now also, but of course we won’t because freedom. Worth picking some up imo.

matt_outandabout

I’ve always wondered how these people would react if they were being wheeled in for surgery and no-one in the theatre could be arsed to wear a mask

I suspect they wouldn’t understand the risks and reasons for wearing masks.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Up on Scotland pretty much everyone wears one, but there is a tiny minority that don’t. And unfortunately it’s always the same type of person, 25 – 45 year old blokes, usually slightly overweight, don’t look like they are particularly well educated ..

They are obviously trying to make a statement of some kind… but all they do is look like a bit of a cxxx

jimmy748

molgrips
    Free Member

some of its a bit daft. Wear one as you go into the pub and / or up to tha bar but remove it when you sit down – not hugely logical

Seems reasonable to me. If you’re walking about the room you could be trailing COVID particles around the place, but if you’re sat still irsnless likely.

andrewh
    Free Member

The Venn diagram that has Brexit, Immigration, pheasant shooting, white and middle aged round the outside has anti mask festering in the middle.

I am white, 40, and voted for Brexit.
    I also have a criminal record for activities related to disrupting grouse shoots and always wear a mask in indoor public places.
    Let’s avoid stereotypes.

spursn17
    Free Member

I don’t mind wearing one if everyone else does, but I’d rather not wear one if I have the choice.

During last years lockdown travelling to work on the train (Thameslink) everyone was wearing them but most of the station staff weren’t, and it was rare to see train drivers on the train travelling to pick up points wearing them as well. After a while it got so nobody was wearing them.

I think the problem now is that the government want people to wear them on trains and public transport, but not in hospitality (pubs, clubs, restaurants). It doesn’t make sense and most people realise this and think bollox to it.

slackboy

people seem to think that mask wearing doesn’t make enough difference to make up of the inconvenience and after 20 months pandemic and case rates in the 50,000s most of this year then I have some sympathy with that view.

There is also pandemic fatigue and wanting to “get back to normal” + usual selfishness of thinking “I’ll be fine, I don’t need to wear a mask I won’t get ill.”

And the vast majority of people won’t.

It’s very visible in the reaction to changes in travel restrictions – a feeling that the government is making things difficult/more expensive for people for no good reason.

If our leaders had been a bit less boosterish about unlocking then things may have been different…

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Oddly only 1 of the 4 people working at the mobile testing unit I went to today was wearing 1.
    Maybe they screen for those roles and only hire people with advanced immune systems.

The only place they seem compulsory any more is my work place.
    Some of our projects are studies of disease transmission, so I know who I listen to.

But going back to the OPs question. I’d go with it being small minded insecure people thinking it makes them powerful in their sad way.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Let’s avoid stereotypes.

Is there a mask for that or is it best ameliorated by distancing?

MoreCashThanDash

Oddly only 1 of the 4 people working at the mobile testing unit I went to today was wearing 1.

Were they outside?

corroded
    Free Member

Stupidity has been politicised and weaponised.

bruneep

PiknMix
    Free Member

don’t look like they are particularly well educated ..

You can tell someone’s level of education by looking at them.

Ive read some tosh on here, but that’s quite the statement.

grum
    Free Member

people seem to think that mask wearing doesn’t make enough difference to make up of the inconvenience

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20211118/mask-wearing-cuts-new-covid-cases-study

If it was just about their own health it would be fine (if you leave aside the unnecessary pressure on the NHS) but there’s an awful lot of vulnerable people out there who either have to stay at home or are afraid to go out and live their lives because some people just don’t care enough to inconvenience themselves very slightly.

And if those people CBA wearing a mask you start to think are they hand-washing regularly, using alcohol gel, keeping distance where possible, getting tested, isolating if they test positive, etc etc?

slowoldman

“I’ll be fine, I don’t need to wear a mask I won’t get ill.”

Despite the constant messages that it’s not about you, it’s about other people.

CountZero

I’ve a few masks that get washed and re used.

When Cazoo officially took over the company I worked for, (and effectively still do), we were given a bag full of odds and ends as well as our new uniform, one of those items was a rather neat face mask, properly fitted with adjustable draw-strings, and a little pocket to put replaceable filters in. I carry it pretty much everywhere inside a cloth sunglasses bag. I have no problem at all wearing it, it’s just with the colder weather it’s still tricky stopping my glasses from steaming up!

That reminds me, I ought to swap the filter over soon. Fortunately, I’ve yet to see anyone kick off about wearing a mask, possibly just lucky I guess.

bigrich

I am white, 40, and voted for Brexit.
    I also have a criminal record for activities related to disrupting grouse shoots and always wear a mask in indoor public places.
    Let’s avoid stereotypes.

people can make decisions and have opinions I dont agree with across the political spectrum. Opinions are irrelevant.

Masks have statistically been shown to reduce the transmission rate, reducing the pool of active cases and enabling effective vaccine led suppression.

unfortunately, a significant majority of english are not um, wise. (30% mask compliance I read somewhere)

tenfoot

I think there is a section of men, for whom wearing a mask, questions their manliness. They see it as a weakness, especially in front of other men, so they don’t wear them.

Pathetic really, especially as they don’t seem to understand (or maybe don’t care that) it’s to protect others.

bigrich

it cant just be a section, as the rates of mask wearing is so low. It goes deeper than that.

Hanging on in quiet desperation angry ranting is the English way

frankconway

CZ, I have a couple of the masks you refer to and change filter at least weekly; filter is 5 ply.
    The cheap shit, unadjustable, ill fitting, blue ones are only fit for the bin; I would neither blow my nose into one nor use one as an arsewipe.
    I’ve been pissed off for ages about supermarket staff, generally, being mask free; will they be instructed to mask-up from Tuesday?
    If they don’t it gives an excuse for customers to not bother.

scaredypants

why the anger and vitriol

You’ve just called them out for being self-possessed dickheads

cloudnine
    Free Member

Half of the population are of below average intelligence.. they also aren’t going to let facts get in the way of their opinion.

kelvin

I assume that it’s all down to fear. Different fears for different folk, but fear nonetheless. Fear of change, of things not being normal. Fear due to a lack of control. Fear of being small and alone. Fear of being contained and controlled. Fear of seeming weak. Anger and lashing out at others is most often due to deep seated fears, isn’t it?

tjagain

The cheap shit, unadjustable, ill fitting, blue ones are only fit for the bin; I would neither blow my nose into one nor use one as an arsewipe.

the ones we were given at work when we were dealing with people with active covid?

chevychase

Not wearing a mask violates rule 1 tbh. But then, the people dying from Covid now are massively more statistically likely to be anti-vaxxers.

So spread away tbh. You’re probably improving the gene pool.

jamiemcf

My 2 cents regarding the unasked.

England
    2 or so months ago when in Scarborough, very few we’re in masks anywhere, those that were were generally the old and infirm.

Scotland
    My local Tesco has remained predominantly masked, But contrary to the above I’ve seen more young women than men unmasked I’d say 60:40. I won’t cast my aspersions about their socioeconomic status but they were the type who deam it appropriate to wear pyjamas out shopping.

Drac

Some people are just ****.

I’ve noticed over the last week or so more people started wearing them again in shops, especially supermarkets.

Poopscoop

After Trump politicised masks in the US an American psychologist did a very good piece on why, men generally, were so opposed to wearing them.

It’s been been mentioned already really but much of it is down to some men (of a certain disposition) seeing it as flagging weakness to other men.

So you are seeing a primal urge from our animal past not to show weakness battling our modern brains that know wearing a mask is prudent and logical.

I spent many an hour sitting on a patch of grass people watching** others going into the local co-op and independents next to it during the warmer months of ’20 and 21. There is a definite set of demographics in play.

I was surprised at the mask compliance by younger guys in truth, the group I thought would be the worst. It was much better than expected, really heartening to see. In fact the worst were men of a similar-ish age range to me, basically 40’s upwards, then compliance went up again for men in their late 60’s/ 70’s. Hardly scientific but I found it interesting.

Oh and I agree with whoever said builders almost always didn’t wear them, at any age. Peer pressure/ “bantz” is a powerful thing.

** It was the nearest I could get to “the great outdoors” due to “reasons”.

Drac

It’s been been mentioned already really but much of it is down to some men (of a certain disposition) seeing it as flagging weakness to other men.

And the women?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 432 total)

The topic ‘Anti mask anger – anyone explain it to me?’ is closed to new replies.