Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 432 total)
  • Anti mask anger – anyone explain it to me?
  • ernielynch

Both conditions can be exacerbated by not being able to get a full breath and placing a mask across your mouth and nose will have that effect.

Which is why I don’t understand why they aren’t required to wear face shields instead.

I appreciate that face shields aren’t as effective but presumably they have a significant effect on how far viral particles travel when someone coughs.

IIRC my local Costco has always insisted that when face coverings have been mandatory that all customers wear either a mask or face shield. Which seems quite reasonable to me….. choose whether you wear a mask or wear a face shield and look a bit of a ****.

Tbh I also don’t understand why anyone who has breathing which is so fragile that a piece of breathable paper or cloth would cause them serious respiratory issues would want to go on nonessential shopping and risk catching Covid, which presumably in high probability would be fatal to them.

pictonroad

I know three people who wear those yellow sunflower lanyards that seem to give you some sort of excuse for not wearing a mask.

Coincidentally they all believe that crystals have healing powers and at least one is a qualified herbologist.

If they’re correct, we’re screwed.

dyna-ti

“Tbh I also don’t understand why anyone who has breathing which is so fragile that a piece of breathable paper or cloth would cause them serious respiratory issues would want to go on nonessential shopping and risk catching Covid, which presumably in high probability would be fatal to them. ”

I think you’re being a bit argumentative with ” who has breathing which is so fragile ” I can’t explain, nor do I know what the criteria that the medical profession uses, but ‘fragile’ is maybe too harsh a term, and any difficulties in that aspect could be hampered by ” a piece of breathable cloth.” is a case of obviously theres more to it than that.

If you want a fuller explanation, phone your doctor.

monkeyboyjc

I’d be tempted with a very very large sign on the door stating ‘in accordance with government advice, strictly no admittance without mask’.

We had the gov approved standard safety signs up last year, which said pretty much that – an anti vaxer reported us to environmental health for discrimination……

Weve changed our signage this year to a gentler “please wear a face mask. *If able to do so”

Unfortunately Stroud is full of a very large and vocal anti Vax group.

mrhoppy

One year on and this is just as relevant still.

nickc

Unfortunately Stroud is full of a very large and vocal anti Vax group.

Who’re often as not, just looking for an excuse for a bit of a shout about it at some-one. If I were you, I wouldn’t be offering them the opportunity by getting into an argument with anyone about it.

monkeyboyjc

Thing is your a captive audience – you can ask them to leave but they’ll have, and will, full on rant at you about it before leaving. Many of them are also either long term, local customers or have relatives that are.

I generally do pipe up if they spout off some sort of BS Anti Vax propaganda in the shop though. Unfortunately mask wearing is something that they feel thet they have one up one – either by completely disregarding it in the shop or by proclaiming immunity to requirement.

nickc

Yeah, it must be tough, I’ve had the same sort of “conversations” with patients about it. I just try not to raise to the bait, and just back off before they can really get going. luckily I can often get away, I appreciate that’s not really an option for you behind the counter.

“Have you got a mask? Can I get one for you” is often the way I phrase it, but admittedly I think at a GP surgery it’s a bit easier

ernielynch

either by completely disregarding it in the shop or by proclaiming immunity to requirement.

I have no idea how busy your shop is but how about attempting to appeal to their sense of fairness by telling them that you fully accept that they are exempt but could they please outside until there are no more customers inside before coming in.

Explain that other customers might feel they are being put at risk and some are high risk from catching Covid.

Tell them that they are very welcome to come in when the shop is empty.

Obviously that will only work if it forces them to wait outside for 5 or 10 minutes in the cold.

DeVer Cycles in Norbury South London won’t allow customers inside their shop even before the latest restrictions, they will instead come out and serve you on pavement, which is a pain in the arse, especially on a cold windy day.

So maybe just offer to serve them outside?

CountZero

This rather sums up the anti-mask personality;

Even before academics identified a connection between anti-mask attitudes and the “dark triad” of personality traits (narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy), research confirmed the depth of the divide between those who do and those who do not conform with pandemic restrictions. In the UK, a 2020 Demos study showed the polarisation to be far more bitter than for Brexit, with the majority who did not break lockdown rules saying they “hate, resent or think lockdown rule breakers are bad people”. On masks, more than half of British wearers had “severely negative attitudes” about non-wearers.

From this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/05/refusal-to-wear-a-mask-says-more-about-you-than-your-face-ever-could

monkeyboyjc

Another regular antivax / anti masker in the shop today, saying I need pay more attention to my door handle to the shop than the mask on my face (he was maskless) – I’d love the gov to make it mandatory to all customers to use the hand sanitizer that’s next to the door handle before coming in the shop, but if they won’t wear a mask they cirtainly won’t do that either.

He has also never used the hand sanitizer……

fossy

No chance after the recent antics of our Boris and his chums.

I hate masks, especially at this time of the year as I can’t see from my glasses. I still wear the bloody things despite being triple jabbed. Big mix in the local Tesco of folk wearing/not wearing.

grum
    Free Member

Weird post.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Both of the last ^^ anti-mask posters seem to be saying:

“Boris and chums ignore public health advice. This makes them bastards. Therefore, I too shall ignore public health advice. This makes me sensible”

Or in schoolyard parlance:

“If poo face is going to be like that then I’m going to be like that”

onewheelgood

Weird post.

Rutrider, Joined December 8th 2021…

ernielynch

What, worldwide?

You are not paying attention :

Same with the other world leaders.

Wake up to the new world order.

Mister-P
    Free Member

In Aldi this evening I’d say 25% not wearing masks, 25% wearing them either under their nose or on their chin, 1 woman with it hanging from one ear and a chap with clear pallet wrap over his nose and dangled over his mouth.

tjagain

locally to me and on the train today virtually everyone wearing a mask – an increase from a few weeks ago.

MoreCashThanDash

Been to the local music centre concert tonight – 200 tickets sols, 100% mask wearing in the audience, and noticeable gaps between family groups on the pews.

bruneep

Cougar

That’s ace, where is that?

bruneep

That’s ace, where is that?

no idea came up on my social feed. I would to love to get one for place of employment

docrobster
    Free Member

Experienced a bit of anti mask thuggery on Saturday morning.

Against my better judgment I got a train to Manchester from Sheffield. About 2000 Wednesday fans on their way to Crewe. All trying to get in the same carriage. No masks. Plenty of cans of stella. So when we’ve all squeezed on and are moving I look down the carriage and see about 4 foot of space behind the bloke who obviously got on first. So I piped up – is there any reason we can’t all move down the train a bit?”
    Well you’d think I’d insulted his mother…
    “Do as the man wearing a mask says” etc etc then staring me out trying to look threatening for 10 minutes. Until he got bored. Even called my shirt “gay”
    He did move though… and had calmed down when he had to squeeze past me to get off at Stockport for the connection… which I think they all missed as we were late by that point.

So a few stereotypes all rolled into one to provide further proof if any is needed.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I work in builders merchants, you’d be amazed at how many builders are apparently “exempt” from wearing a mask.

convert

you’d be amazed at how many builders are apparently “exempt” from wearing a mask.

Just checkouted out ebay – about roughly a bazillion ebay sellers pedalling the sunflower lanyards. £4.99 buys you the freedom to float around Asda unmuzzled with impunity. But that’s not really your typical antimaskers style is it? Surely they are unmuzzled and proud.

But it does explain why quite such a large proportion of the nation seem to be suffering such terrible breathing issues they can’t wear a mask, the poor loves. I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of people who suck on a puffer once every 6 months or so have self diagnosed as too wheezy to mask up and paid out their £4.99.

colp

I work in builders merchants, you’d be amazed at how many builders are apparently “exempt” from wearing a mask.

Yep, been in Toolstation a few times the last couple of days. I’m pretty much the only person wearing a mask each time.

Had to go to do the weekly shop at Lidl, apparently all of the scallies are exempt too.

MoreCashThanDash

Seemed to be more mask free folk in Tesco tonight than I expected – other shops I’ve been to in the last week or so have been pretty good for percentage wearing masks.

Quite a few looked like they’d popped in on impulse for a couple of bits and were looking a bit sheepish.

supernova

The only people not wearing them in Lidl today were the male managers. It’s definitely a bloke thing.

monkeyboyjc

It’s 100% a bloke thing – 9 out of 10 non maskers in my shop are blokes…

Drac

Maths is hard.

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ Perfection.

CountZero

@bruneep – I really like that sign! That’s a work of quiet genius.

Honestly, you’d think they would be the ones most comfortable wearing them, purely because of the need to protect themselves from all the different types of harmful dust and debris created during building work!

#rollseyes!

squirrelking
    Free Member

@drac wins this evenings Internet.

batfink
    Free Member

Mum’s observations after arriving in Australia:

Everyone is wearing a mask inside….100% (not even 9 out of 10)
    You have to check in/out and show your vaccine certificate in every shop – but everyone seems very nice about it.
    The PCR testing here is very quick/easy – and the lady doing it doesn’t seem to need to scrape a sample from the back of your skull.

She’s completed the mandatory self isolation/testing for international arrivals (initiated after the emergence of Omicron), but yesterday she got the dreaded ping saying that she was a “close contact” – somebody on her flight from Singapore had it apparently. Happily (for her), the late arrival of the ping means that she doesn’t need to self isolate any further.

The one fly in the ointment is that she has to delay her trip to see my sister (also living in Aus) as my Nephew is having chemo – and so we want a few more days/tests before she is around him. But it’s been 2 years – a few more days won’t hurt, and we obviously don’t want to risk it.

My wife is getting her booster today, I’m getting mine next week – bang on 5 months since our second dose. Will feel a bit better when thats done

Cougar

drac wins this evenings Internet.

I reported his post saying the same thing.

argee

Have to say, not really seen much anger this time round with masks, yes a few not wearing them, i don’t see many patterns, i had to go into a shop yesterday without one, had grabbed a mask from my new pack, didn’t notice it had no straps on it, just the blue bit, felt sheepish enough to make sure i showed this abomination of a mask to all that looked towards me though ;o)

theotherjonv

I assume you got it from one of the Gov’s fast track VIP route suppliers?

monkeyboyjc

😄Maths is unforgiving

Unlike the governments mask policy…..

johnx2
    Free Member

Yep, been in Toolstation a few times

Clue’s in the name.

(Muuust resssissst but no can’t: if only 1% of men are non wearers but no women, it would still be true that 100% of non wearers were men. No I don’t feel better…)

Mister-P
    Free Member

(Muuust resssissst but no can’t: if only 1% of men are non wearers but no women, it would still be true that 100% of non wearers were men. No I don’t feel better…)

That is true. However that’s not what was said

1 of the 10 non-mask wearers is not a man so it cannot be 100% a bloke thing. Maths is hard but English is harderer.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 432 total)

The topic ‘Anti mask anger – anyone explain it to me?’ is closed to new replies.