Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)
  • Anti Cycling. Why is it a thing?
  • Premier Icon nickc

When I’ve cycled in France I’ve always felt like car drivers there were more respectful

TBH, most folk in the UK are as well, the vast majority of car users aren’t ranty morons, it’s just we notice the ones that are.

Premier Icon Cougar

It’s the same phenomenon. Someone said earlier, “I can’t remember what it’s called.”

It’s confirmation bias. It’s like buying a less-common car thinking “you don’t see many of them about” and then suddenly bugger me, they’re everywhere. Once you get a seed in your head that all cyclists / taxi drivers / van drivers / vegans / religious types / fat people / gingers are bastards then every time you spot one that is you think “yup, knew it” and conveniently don’t see the vast majority that aren’t.

Premier Icon joepud

This just popped up in my Facebook feed, seemed relevant.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3687703974573084

I would love to know how the driver tried to justify that one to the police. Some people are just absolute morons.

Premier Icon TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s confirmation bias. It’s like buying a less-common car thinking “you don’t see many of them about” and then suddenly bugger me, they’re everywhere. Once you get a seed in your head that all cyclists / taxi drivers / van drivers / vegans / religious types / fat people / gingers are bastards then every time you spot one that is you think “yup, knew it” and conveniently don’t see the vast majority that aren’t.

Is there a persecution complex as a cyclist too?

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

TBH, most folk in the UK are as well, the vast majority of car users aren’t ranty morons, it’s just we notice the ones that are.

They still hate us though.

Premier Icon marksnook

Haven’t read the whole thread as breaktime
    Is only so long! I imagine because people are dicks. Me, you and everyone else here. We are all guilty of hating things. Just look at every thread that mentions dogs or politics or walkers or any other group of people. We all think we are right!
    I’ve heard a lot of anti cyclist stuff be based around grown men in Lycra! That someone doesn’t want to see it. I see their point 😂😂

Premier Icon Blackflag

1. Some people hate anything that inconveniences them in any way. Most drivers have had to slow down at some point for a bicycle in front of them. See also caravans on country lanes.

2. Some people hate those that do positive things as it reminds them that they are not doing such things. So they pigeonhole others as virtue signalling or up themselves. See also vegans.

3. Some people don’t like anything that they see as not normal, like a grown up riding a “child’s toy” and coming into work dressed in skin tight fluorescent silliness. See also people heckling others for strange haircuts or dress sense.

Add to this the negative reinforcement of social media and elements of the press (and J. Clarkson) which panders to, confirms and justifies the above and you are fighting a losing battle.

And saying its good for the environment only supports number 2.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

And saying its good for the environment only supports number 2.

To be fair in the UK at least that is a pretty rubbish claim. For personal transport and infrastructure we as a society chose to pursue something closer to the 1950s US model and continue largely to continue along this road (wahey). In this reality most short trips in this country are made in a car/vehicle. P

What you or I do on our bikes makes less than a scrap of difference in this culture. If I was to claim that riding my bike was ‘good for the environment’ it would be somewhat akin to claiming that my taking of a homeopathic tincture of thyme was ‘good for cleaning up the lungs of all the smokers in your city’.

In that, I’d probably deserve all of the ridicule from every petrolhead/cyclist-botherer for my inane virtue-signalling

I’m an environmentalist/conservationist at heart, but I rarely if ever mention it to people I meet, or even bring it up in conversation unless with ‘special friends of a similar persuasion’.

You’d have half a chance discovering that your promotion of making changes for the environment would be thought more controversial and ire-magnetising than if you were promoting a belief that the current pandemic is a Jewish globalist conspiracy and that vaccines are a tracking device so that Bill Gates can reset your life, get your kids into a pizza parlour and drink their spinal fluid while you are now owned by China…

*Given statement being taken in context of the cultural climate in which we live.

Premier Icon molgrips

Pay road tax? I’m riding a two grand bike, I clearly pay plenty of tax.

Premier Icon IdleJon

I think it may have been Paddy McGuinness on the radio this week (or last) who said that he’d bought a bike for his partner and couldn’t conceive of a world where people spend more than £300 on a bike. So that’s less than his TV, shoes (probably), trousers (maybe), watch (almost certainly). 😀

Bikes are toys for most people. That’s why they think it’s ok to walk their loose dogs on cycle-paths – because what lunatic would possibly think of using a cycle-path for it’s intended purpose.

Premier Icon richmtb

I think it may have been Paddy McGuinness on the radio this week (or last) who said that he’d bought a bike for his partner and couldn’t conceive of a world where people spend more than £300 on a bike.

To be fair I was in exactly the same position years ago. I just thought a bike was a bike. I bought a sub £200 Giant, because it was a make i’d at least heard of. Ironically it was getting it nicked that made be reconsider as the insurance replacement was just a little but better in every way it made me start looking at more expensive bikes and what the actual differences were a lot more seriously.

Premier Icon dougiedogg
    Free Member

I’ve just worked out where the anti-cycling all started!

GOLDENEYE

The chase scene at the start of the film.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Jealousy, pure and simple.
    Those who potter across on the red light. It’s not that the driver thinks, Shocking breaking the law like that, its a case of they cant do it and are jealous of those who can.
    Filter up the inside, the outside or the middle and the driver sees this and is thinking , Why can’t i do that ???, jealousy yet again.

Nearly all the arguments they give are selfish and self centered.
    Pay for the roads, obey the signals and rules, but not as a road user, and be consigned to the gutter side.
    Follow the highway code. In that I think the highway code puts the cyclist in a defensive position, just to the left of the white line, and as there is no undertaking allowed, they have to cross the white line to overtake, as they would with anything else, be that car,truck or bus.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Jealousy, pure and simple.

You don’t think it’s more complex and cultural than simple envy?

So why are (say) the Danish so different/accepting around/of bicycles? Are the English just horribly petty and ignorant people?

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t buy the envy line at all, quite the opposite, your average fat middle aged Q7 driver looks down his whisky pocked nose at the poor cyclists.

Premier Icon tjagain

p7 – its “othering” as per my links above. to the danish cyclists are not “others” as everyone either rides a bike or has a family member who does. thats why the difference

Premier Icon nickc

Paddy McGuinness [ ] who said that he’d bought a bike for his partner and couldn’t conceive of a world where people spend more than £300 on a bike.

I find it disconcerting to conceive of a world where people think Paddy McGuiness’ opinion on bikes is worth anything.

Premier Icon epicyclo

It’s the manly rage of fat incel car slobs can’t get it up.

They’re jealous of all the fit toned cyclists who are obviously flitting across the city from one assignation to another.

Premier Icon thegeneralist
    Free Member

Like.

Premier Icon Cougar

as there is no undertaking allowed

A popular, but incorrect, belief.

Premier Icon slowoldman

Meanwhile in Spain.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

@tjagain. Shows how my rhetorical questions may have been too subtle 😉 Totally agree, by the way. My take (in an earlier post) is that Britain began othering the bicycle (and the people who ride them) at a crucial cultural junction (as far as personal transport and infrastructure) which is where (say) the Dutch did a u-turn while we steamrollered on with the car as king.

My conclusion after 40 years of being a weirdo on our roads (ie a Brit using a bike as regular transport) is that after 60-70 years of this car-culture there is no way back. Why would there be? Cycling (for transport and utility) remains a tiny minority/anomaly in the UK and this won’t change. We decided in favour of the motor vehicle for the vast majority of short journeys and the vast majority of infrastructure/planning has been exclusively for motor vehicles. The culture has been built. Generations and generations. Even ‘cyclists’ in Britain think regular people on bikes is weird. Cycling in the UK has increasingly become a minority/fetishist pursuit. A ‘sport’, a pose. It’s all about the gear.

As a younger cyclist I used to have a dream that England and Wales at least might one day claim/buy back some of what was lost to the public and repurpose the thousands of abandoned railways that Beeching tore up, and instead turn them into a green transport network, linking up all villages and towns with flat paths maintained for bicycles, ebikes, trikes, cargo bikes, recumbents, etc. For commuting, for shopping, for cycle-touring/tourism. Potentially transforming the country into a cycle-friendly place, with many new sustainable and supportive businesses cropping up along these ‘pedalways’, making the UK an exciting, safe tourist cycle-commuting and tourist destination for cyclists at home and from across world.

It was a nice dream, but it soon went the way of my hair when I finally woke up and realised that my thinking was as deluded as my combover. My biggest regret now was to have held hope/optimism rather than get out while I was young, and instead enjoy life in a cycle-normal country 🥚

Things may be different for out great-great-grandchildren. But it’s all academic IMO.

Premier Icon i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Cycling also seems to have become a locus in the culture war of late. The sovereignty and individualism of the car have become a symbol for all the gammon types to rally around. Cycling is a proxy for progressive ideas and change. That’s one reason they hate it. BJ, as much as a detest him, at least has one foot in the cycling camp thankfully.

Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.