Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 183 total)
  • Anti Cycling. Why is it a thing?
  • p7eaven
    Free Member

It’s actually because British cyclists are entirely devoid of humour and self-awareness. Cyclists are humourless, self-righteous toadies to the toeclip. They are preening scolds looking down on all of us drivers. Add to this the fact that most of them are selfish little children lost in a world of grownups, and yet still fail to understand how it is that the rest of us will not let this pedalling prat have not only his cake and eat it, but our cake also!

Let cyclists eat cake by all means. But only if they pay the baker. No more free ride for those penny-pinching, puerile, posho pillocks who can spend £1500+ British Pounds on a child’s toy, and yet expect special treatment from those of us who actually pay our way to use our roads in actual vehicles?

Sorry, cyclists, but if you want to keep stuffing your faces with cake then you have to either pay the baker like the rest of us* , or else leave the table.

*This would mean you and your ilk:

– Paying road taxes
    – Being licensed/registered with identifiable plate
    – Taking out comprehensive insurance
    – Moving aside for traffic (ie no road-hogging, no-one likes a road-hog)
    – Using cycle paths not roads and pavements
    – Dressing normally not like some lycra loonie
    – Wearing Hi Viz if you are a hazard (which you are)
    – Single file (no two abreast, ten abreast or however many breasts you feel like on any given day

Until such times, this matter was closed. Long time ago.

There was a poll conducted on television some decades ago as to whether we should keep cyclists on roads or not. The ‘blues’ won by a mile. Yet still you are here. Yet still you pedal your petty little cheapskate child’s toys/eye-wateringly-expensive middle-class gewgaws for us all to see, as if we are impressed? As if we are amused? Well, colour us decidedly unimpressed (you seem slow on the uptake with this one. Narcissism?). Yet we are amused. But we’re laughing at you, not with you. Gottit?

/satire

johndoh
    Free Member

But special ire seems to be reserved for cyclists.

I am not sure if that is the case – as cyclists we see some road users’ attitudes towards us but for many of us we have never experienced what it is like for other road users (ie, tractors, horses, busses, HGVs etc).

johndoh
    Free Member

you are basically blaming cyclists for the issue.

Again you are twisting my words – I am not blaming cyclists, I am blaming a significant minority of cyclists that cause the ‘Anti Cyclist’ attitude shown by some other road users (the OP question I was giving my opinion on).

Feel free to rip those apart and try and blame me as “selfish” or “riding like a dick” but every single one of those incidents was the drivers fault. I would go as far as saying in the majority of incidents involving a bike and a vehicle the vehicle is to blame.

From those experiences you have done nothing wrong (and I have experienced similar situations myself). I am not trying to blame every cyclist for every incident. Far from it.

chrispo
    Free Member

Because most cyclists are men

Man on horse – ****
    Woman on horse – hot

🤷‍♂️

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

“What you see in discourses about cycling is the absolute classic 1960s and 1970s social psychology of prejudice,” he explains. “It’s exactly those things that used to be done about minority ethnic groups and so on – the overgeneralisation of negative traits, under-representation of negative behaviours by one’s own group, that kind of thing. It’s just textbook prejudiced behaviour.”

Guardian already did it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/01/sabotage-and-hatred-what-have-people-got-against-cyclists

tomd
    Free Member

Again you are twisting my words – I am not blaming cyclists, I am blaming a significant minority of cyclists that cause the ‘Anti Cyclist’ attitude shown by some other road users (the OP question I was giving my opinion on).

Dancing on the head of pin with that argument. A lot of what “angers” people is perfectly lawful behaviour by cyclists – things like having the temerity to not ride in the gutter. I don’t think there is any causation to be found – it’s more a case of angry intolerant people finding something to be angry about.

The only vocal anti cyclists I’ve met in person (work colleagues and parents of my kids’ friends) are just absolute throbbing bell ends full stop. I knew they were twits before I knew they were anticyclycling. Just bitter, small minded and angry people. Cycling was just one outlet for that, now that other protected characteristics are off limits.

There’s no debate to had with these folk. A swift **** off usually suffices.

johndoh
    Free Member

A lot of what “angers” people is perfectly lawful behaviour by cyclists

Agreed. Still doesn’t alter the fact there are dick cyclists just like there are dick drivers.

kerley
    Free Member

I would rather share the roads with dick cyclists than dick drivers.

joepud
    Free Member

Im not twisting your words at all, you have just so far failed to provide a simple example or reason for this claim apart from “it is simply such a straight-forward statement” – when clearly at least to me its not. But hey, if you don’t want to do that, lets just both get on with our day.

nickc

Watched a guy on a bike last night; no lights, going the wrong way around a roundabout. Even I called him a dick…

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d rather there were neither.

p7eaven
    Free Member

@johndoh

I am blaming a significant minority of cyclists that cause the ‘Anti Cyclist’ attitude shown by some other road users

Would these ‘some other road users’ have an ‘anti-motorist/anti-driver’ attitude ‘caused’ by the (for sake of argument) significant minority of motorists who drive like dicks?

However, I see hundreds of drivers a week behaving like dicks. Yet they don’t ‘cause’ me to have an ‘anti-driver’ attitude. I did see a few teenagers on mountain bikes im the streets the other night, maybe four of five, and none with lights, all in black clothing weaving in and out of parked cars, causing me to brake sharply. Where do I sign up to the ‘anti-teenager’ attitude? Or do I call them cyclists? Wild-card – if they instead were in cars behaving like that, would I sign up to the ‘anti-driver’ attitude?

nickc

Of course they do, willing to bet everyone who drives has their version of Audi or BMW drivers or judges instantly a car with lowered suspension or an aftermarket exhaust. It’s how humans categorise things, we all do it unconsciously.

crazy-legs

I am blaming a significant minority of cyclists that cause the ‘Anti Cyclist’ attitude shown by some other road users

But it’s actually not the case. In all examples where research has been done it’s consistently found that cyclists obey the road laws more than drivers, that where such things as jumping the lights etc ARE done it’s usually for safety – which then leads onto other topics like the infrastructure not being up to standard for cyclists.

The attitude comes not from the fact that some cyclists ride like idiots (in much the same way that some drivers drive like idiots) but that the mainstream media can still stereotype this to be the case – you can still write little “opinion pieces” in the local rag saying that cyclists should pay road tax, get out of the way, use cycle paths, have a number plate… And occasionally you get that odious Loophole Lawyer or some Clarkson wannabe making a controversial point and the websites churn it out verbatim because they know it generates clicks of outrage, reams of comments and lots of ad revenue.

I’d argue that most drivers actually don’t encounter that many cyclists on their daily drive and their opinion of them stems not from personal experience but the constant drip drip drip of anti-cycling coverage in the press.

MoreCashThanDash

I just assumed all the cyclist haters had really, really small penises. 🤷‍♂️

johndoh
    Free Member

However, I see hundreds of drivers a week behaving like dicks. Yet they don’t ‘cause’ me to have an ‘anti-driver’ attitude.

See my ‘Audi/BMW trope’ comment earlier.

tenfoot

No more free ride for those penny-pinching, puerile, posho pillocks who can spend £1500+ British Pounds on a child’s toy, and yet expect special treatment from those of us who actually pay our way to use our roads in actual vehicles?

I actually saw this sentiment on the local Facebook page that I left. The fact that the VAT on a £1500 bike will be £300 which all goes into the pot, eluded the simpleton spouting on about it.

ayjaydoubleyou

I actually saw this sentiment on the local Facebook page that I left. The fact that the VAT on a £1500 bike will be £300 which all goes into the pot, eluded the simpleton spouting on about it.

I dont disagree, but it will pale in comparison to the ~75% of the fuel he pours into his car on a weekly basis.

I like to ask them how much income tax they pay, and whether we should therefore prioritise road use by how rich people are.

oldnpastit

One of my dogs really enjoys barking. When someone comes to the door, she uses it as an excuse to bark. She’s not warning us of danger, or anything like that, she just likes barking, and people at the door is her opportunity to indulge this.

Some people like being nasty. Cyclists are a group that they feel that they can get away with being nasty to. When they see or hear about a cyclist, they take the opportunity to indulge themselves in their secret pleasure.

DezB
    Free Member

I just assumed all the cyclist haters had really, really small penises.

Not to mention the men.

brads
    Free Member

Woman on horse – hot

You mean women who like horses but are not actually on a horse at the present time = hot

Woman actually on a horse = worse attitude than most car drivers and blinding levels of self importance.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I’d argue that most drivers actually don’t encounter that many cyclists on their daily drive and their opinion of them stems not from personal experience but the constant drip drip drip of anti-cycling coverage in the press.

Anecdote time.

My Petrolheaded Most Brexity Friend Forever vociferously despises cyclists (on the roads, and in general) and roundly rips the p out of me for ‘being one of them. He buys the Daily Express and gets Clarkson books for Chrimbo.

Quick profiles:

Me: I love cycling and use bikes for transport and pleasure ( efore injury stopped 90% of it) I really don’t like car-culture. I drive. I buy no newspaper.

MBBF: Loves driving. Claims he’d rather die than be disabled. He hates cyclists. (He likes MTBing on boxing day with me and SIL) He buys the Daily Express and idolises Clarkson and Farage.

We live in the same area. He claims that cyclists (and immigrants) make his driving/life a misery.

I hardly ever see another cyclist around these parts when either cycling or driving. And I look for them. It feels lonely being the only bike on the road for 99% of my cycle-journeys! Sore thumb-itis.

Last time I was late to my MBFFs house I was supposed to be helping him out with decorating and moving. On the way over I got stuck in a long rural traffic jam all along an A road between two villages.

At the temporary lights I was bored, watching the greenlighted vehicles approach me from the other direction. I watched the drivers/occupants one by one. A never ending line of similarly bored white faces, mostly single-occupant. I saw one white van with a brown-skinned bloke. Then another long line of entirely caucasian OAPs, carers, and commuters. Herefordshire mid-morning traffic.

My take-home observation (apart from the minutiae of people-watching) was ‘why are there so many bloody cars on the road???’

After 2x approx ten minute waits I finally got the green light and drove on to MMBFF’s house, to make my apologies for lateness. I also complained about car-culture, saying I’d be quicker if I’d cycled the 11 miles! Because it was 1. True and because 2. I know it winds him up.

His answer was: ‘There’re too many cars on the roads because there are too many bloody immigrants!!!’ Because 1. He believes it to be true and because 2. He knows it winds me up.

Anecdote 2

I drove him MMBFF all the way from Worcester to Coed Y Brenin, taking A roads and B roads. For a good portion of the first part of the journey we were (oh joy!) having the ‘cyclists on the road’ argument.

He claims ‘MTBing is ‘bloody great’, but that ‘cyclists on roads make driving a misery and they are in his way and they aren’t even supposed to be there, etc etc’

After 120ish miles when we finally pulled into at CyB I asked:

‘That was an easy drive, nice weather, did you count how many cyclists you saw on the road on the way here?’
    ‘No, wasn’t looking’
    ‘I was’
    ‘You’re going to say ‘none’ aren’t you?’
    ‘No, I saw one’

The Odd Couple 🥸🤪

johndoh
    Free Member

Woman actually on a horse = worse attitude than most car drivers and blinding levels of self importance.

So here we go – it’s not okay for motorists to have anti cyclist attitudes, but it’s bang on for a cyclist to have an anti horse rider attitude. Herein lies the problem.

chrispo
    Free Member

You mean women who like horses but are not actually on a horse at the present time = hot

Woman actually on a horse = worse attitude than most car drivers and blinding levels of self importance

And they don’t pay road tax!

No, I meant: I’ll happily sit behind a female bottom bobbing up and down for 30 seconds, but I’ll be irritated by a bloke on a horse for wasting that crucial period of my life.

DezB
    Free Member

Thing is, this “riding like dicks” to most drivers is just someone being “in their way”.
    Or, like my wonderful colleague swore and ranted about once – a cyclist undertaking a stationary, queueing vehicle “not on a cycle path or anything!”
    (Not that I’ll be drawn into this petty squabble any further)

tenfoot

I always have a nice chat with people on horses, male or female. Show them some respect and courtesy and you get the same back. Easy really.

tjagain

Its classic “othering” find a group of people and proclaim them “the enemy” for their behaviours. this group then closes ranks, feels no part of society and retreats from societies norms further. Newspapers do it to sell, politicians jump on the bandwagon. Travelers got exactly this treatment.

One reason for this is resentment because we sail past them in traffic jams but in their eyes pay nothing for the use of the roads. Car drivers are sold the dream of car driving as liberating but actually it traps you into spending hours stuck in traffic. they see cyclists enjoying freedom from being held in traffic and hate the freeloading barstewards fo rit

Try Aus for anti cycling attitudes. In one state the fine for no bell is bigger than the fine for drunk driving

An acquaintance of mine who is an advanced motorcyclist and motorcyling instructed went off on a rant on facebook about cyclists holding her up deliberately when she is commuting to work across Edinburgh by car. Edinburgh is full of narrow streets where 2 cars adn a bike cannot safely pass. thinking she might because of her background be amenable to discussion I provided her with all the info about primary and secondary position, safe over taking, defensive riding etc etc and her replay was ” thats all good and well but some are deliberatly holding me up”

slowoldman

If you’re on a bike then clearly you’re too poor to afford a car, therefore you’re an absolute pleb. Get a car, hippy!

But yet if you look at the social media spats going on regarding cycle lanes in that London, cycling is perceived as a middle class affectation.

So here we go – it’s not okay for motorists to have anti cyclist attitudes, but it’s bang on for a cyclist to have an anti horse rider attitude. Herein lies the problem.

Yes a strange comment, perhaps it’s ironic. I’ve never had any issues with any horse riders, generally pass pleasantries.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

When your life is crap its nice to have something to hate.

That more or less sums this issue up. Many people seem to live their life with a simmering state of internal rage and for some reason read the Daily Mail also :D. They are looking for someone to transfer that anger onto whether it be migrants, scroungers or now…cyclists. Plus also I feel the roads have become uglier places in recent years with a “me me me” type of person wanting to bully everyone out of the way in their SUV.

tjagain

Look up “othering” Yo will find some really good articles on this. for example https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-othering-5084425

the reason this does not happen in some european states is cyclists are not others – everyone cycles or has a family member who does

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Car drivers are sold the dream of car driving as liberating but actually it traps you into spending hours stuck in traffic

Yeah, driving is a miserable and stressful activity. That’s an empirical fact! It sends everyone’s cortisol levels up. And many of these people are wedded to their cars as extensions of their personality, like status goods or vanity baubles.

Now I’m a bit older it makes me laugh.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Lots of horses on the TPT and >90% seem sensitive to the needs of others.

Did have one woman once shout at me for not slowing down. I can assure you that I wasn’t going at any great pace and she was IMHO cantering? the horse and it was too fast. Consequently, she was dominating the (wide) section and I felt this was arrogant on her part.

timbog160

People are tribal and like to moan about other people. As this thread shows cyclists are as guilty of this as any other group…

nickc

Yeah, driving is a miserable and stressful activity.

driving (even in heavy traffic) need not be stressful or miserable, depends on tour attitude really

patagonian
    Free Member

I had someone tell me that cyclists should pay road tax, when I replied that I already pay road tax but choose to leave the car at home to reduce the amount of traffic on the roads and make his commute easier he went mental!

brads
    Free Member

Lol It was a bit tongue in cheek to be fair. I cant work emojis on this horrendous site.
    Based on the utter mental abuse that I’ve had from a couple. In real life they are pretty much lovey and some are hot haha

grum
    Free Member

driving (even in heavy traffic) need not be stressful or miserable, depends on tour attitude really

It’s never going to be a net positive experience though is it.

Cougar

Racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism etc are now all taboo,

Well, it was up until a few years ago, at least.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Deleted, misread.

crazy-legs

I always have a nice chat with people on horses, male or female. Show them some respect and courtesy and you get the same back. Easy really.

Very much this.
    You do get the occasional one who expects you as a cyclist to be a cock but then rapidly adjusts their attitude when you’re nice to them.

I had a conversation with a dog walker along those line a few weeks ago. Descending a gravel track, not especially fast, on the CX. Ahead of me was a woman with two dogs, she was walking along in the same direction so had her back to me. I slowed right down, called out a greeting and she did the usual dog walker thing of panicking and trying to restrain the dogs and then one ran over to me. I stopped, petted it, said hi and she was genuinely taken aback; she’d clearly had a run in with a cyclist before – she seemed the sort to post on a FB page about how she’d “nearly been run over!!” – and she was obviously expecting me to be inconsiderate / not slow down etc.
    As it was, she adjusted her preconception, was polite and thanked me for my consideration and we wished each other well and carried on our respective ways.

And yes, I’ve generalised about dog walkers there as well, there are a great many who have zero ability to control their dogs and why oh why do they panic so much when they see as bike?!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘Anti Cycling. Why is it a thing?’ is closed to new replies.