Anti Chafing Creams – advice please

Home Forum Bike Forum Anti Chafing Creams – advice please

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Anti Chafing Creams – advice please
  • MrNutt

all of this could have been swiftly avoided if someone had taken just a couple of moments to direct the OP towards the following aisle:

I feel I now need to wash my brain. thanks folks!

MrSmith

not sudocrem (however it’s spelt) it dries up too quickly and is paraffin wax based not glycerine/almond oil than which you get in proper chamois creme.
    assos, natures kiss, O-zone all good for hours in the saddle, done 120miles a day with no ‘issues’

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Sudacreme here as well – works fine, but I only tend to get chafing on multiday and wet rides.

I have used assos before as well, and that was ace

Premier Icon oink1
    Subscriber

I love this place – Just LOL’ed my head off at this thread! 😀 Another vote for the ‘Minty arse lard’ here. My Mrs swears by Tea Tree oil for Post chaffing sooth-age (If unfortunate enough for it to occur) 🙂

mrsflash

Oooh I would have thought tea tree oil would a) sting a lot and b) dry your skin out too much?

Cooroo

Talking of stinging … worst pain I ever felt, except perhaps tattoos and childbirth, was StuE spraying plastic skin on the open sore on my right buttock in a small hotel off the South Downs Way last June… God knows what the other residents thought was going on.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

That was your mistake.

The correct procedure for all sorts of saddle sore issues is vodka. Drink half a bottle and use a thimbleful as sterilising fluid. Then set about treatment.

jojoA1

My worst saddle soreness experience was the mistake of riding a 10 hour enduro a couple of days post Brazilian wax. Biiiiiig mistake. That’s when I found out that Assos stings if you’re already tender.

boblo

jojoA1 – Member
    My worst saddle soreness experience was the mistake of riding a 10 hour enduro a couple of days post Brazilian wax. Biiiiiig mistake. That’s when I found out that Assos stings if you’re already tender.

Steady, you’ll have SFB stalking (in more than one sense) if you’re not too careful 😆

Cronnie

We’re talking prevention here rather than cure aren’t we? So when I’m ‘touching the void’ I reach for the vaseline.

simonfbarnes

Steady, you’ll have SFB stalking (in more than one sense)

I’m way ahead of you :o)

I get the impression a Brazilian is NOT a good idea if you’re going to be cycling – those short and curlies protect delicate parts…

jojoA1

Well I know that now!

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

jojo – too much information there! You know how excitable the STW guys get 😉

simonfbarnes

You know how excitable the STW guys get

particularly me :o)

TandemJeremy

IM / IME if you are getting chaffing then something is wrong. Seat, seating position, clothing.

From my nurses perspective I would never use creams as a prevention – do all nasty sort of things to your skin. Block pores, alter PH and so on.

simonfbarnes

From my nurses perspective I would never use creams as a prevention – do all nasty sort of things to your skin. Block pores, alter PH and so on.

an interesting perspective – but riding is quite temporary – about 6% of my time…

corroded

I’ve used Assos MAL for doing Etapes in the past and it worked (I’ve always assumed Sudocreme to be more of a treatment than a preventative). But I’d say a greater factor was the quality of shorts (Assos again, no question – don’t think they do a women-specific version, if such things make a difference), the saddle and the riding position.

simonfbarnes

if such things make a difference

well,considering the marked differences in anatomy in that region one might suppose it did!

Midnighthour

Worth trying a different brand of shorts and perhaps try out some different saddles? Padding and shaping of both has a lot of input in this area! It could be your saddle is too wide towards the mid/front section and is rubbing.

Spud

Is minty arse lard applied to shorts or nethers?

sq225917

vote number 2 for Metanium, it’s a better barrier cream than Sudocrem, which is just a better known brand name. it has a higher titanium dioxide ratio than Sudocrem and is utterly waterproof.

try them both, i know which you’ll discard.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Spud – either and/or both. I generally put it on the shorts

chomp

I’d also give the thumbs up for Bepanthen for post ride soothing

I’ve always got some (and sudocream for that matter) in the car as we’ve two under 3’s. I have one of the little pots of sudo in my bag incase there’s any sign of mid ride chaffing going on (which gets topped up from the massive pots we have around the house with the nappies )

jojoA1

Jeremy, sometimes it’s just a case of having pressure in a place that is not accustomed to it for an extended period of time rather than anything wrong with seat/shorts/position. Say you went from being a weekend only rider to doing a 10 hour race, your botty bits would just not be prepared. Well that’s my theory anyway! 🙂

Cinnamon Girl, the boys talk about their vasectomies etc with impunity and absence of letching from us hot blooded females, it’s about time we fought back! 🙂

mavisto

If you can get hold of it, try Bag Balm. It’s original use is for cows udders, but it is well thought of in the American Cycling community and a doctor actually recommended it to me. And yes that was a human doctor and not an animal one.

Google bag balm and cycling and see what results you get.

boblo

jojoA1 – Member
    Jeremy, sometimes it’s just a case of having pressure in a place that is not accustomed to it for an extended period of time rather than anything wrong with seat/shorts/position. Say you went from being a weekend only rider to doing a 10 hour race, your botty bits would just not be prepared.

‘Tis true. You can build tolerance to this. Mrs B went from zero (non cyclist) to 100 mile per day rear gunner in 3 months. She needed time to build cycling muscles and the ability to sit on bike for hours one end.

S’not just girlies though, boys need to build bum tolerance too…

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Anti Chafing Creams – advice please’ is closed to new replies.