Anti Chafing Creams – advice please

Home Forum Bike Forum Anti Chafing Creams – advice please

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Anti Chafing Creams – advice please
  • Cooroo

I didn’t take chafing seriously when I set out on a 3 day South Downs Way ride last year, and lived to regret it.

So before the C2C ride this May, i want to be prepared.

Now it all gets a bit personal… My nether regions, like the rest of me, are female. I suffered a tender patch which went on to be broken skin on my bum (not gender-specific!), and painful soreness on the tops of my thighs and in what Assos refer to as ‘intimate areas’ and say you shouldn’t use the cream on. 😳

So there are lots of products out there – but how many will say ‘avoid mucous membranes’ when I read the packaging? Do any of them actually work/help? Any other women or even men with helpful advice as opposed to sniggers? (sniggers may be amusing so send ’em in, but it’s really constructive advice i’m looking for).

Wiggle stock Natures Kiss, Udderly Smooth, Assos, DZ Nuts and Elite Ozone – anyone tried them?

grahamh

Pesudo Cream, available from chemists.
    Just slap it on liberally.

IHN

KY? There you go, sillyness over.

I use Minty Arse Lard, but my nether regions are male so that may be of no use if it can’t be used near your, er, Lady Garden.

uplink

I think grahamh means Sudocrem

Cooroo

Sudocreme sounds good, remember it from nappy changing days, and much cheaper

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Sudocrem

I have the bum of a fairy princess (though a little bigger & more hirsute) due to not riding very often. One of the best moments of my biking life was spent in a bush near the Devil’s Dyke, with a tub of that stuff ! 😳

mrsflash

I would have though sudo(a?)crem as well, but never used any thing, any never had any problems in that area either. I had a bit of mild kind of flakiness in one area after mayhem last year, but that’s all.

I would suggest it’s maybe worth looking at your shorts and saddle to see if they’re causing the problem?

JoB

don’t use Sudocrem, it’s designed as a treatment for any issues ‘down there’ not to prevent them

go for specific chamois cream that’s actually designed to prevent such matters, Assos seems to be the most popular, for good reason, but you may find it a bit, er, tingly

Premier Icon niloC
    Subscriber

I’ve got natures kiss and it’s good, not as sticky as sudocreme but works well on my hairy arse, groin and top of legs, not sure how it would be on a ladies area though? mail them and ask

mrsflash

was that tmi above?? πŸ˜‰

IHN

don’t use Sudocrem, it’s designed as a treatment for any issues ‘down there’ not to prevent them

It’s designed for both. Well, it’s designed as a prevention and treatment for nappy rash, but it has other uses.

scruff

Sudocream does work before AND after. Its really really cheap if you just steal your firstborns.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Well, it’s nappy cream – designed to soothe sore areas but also to be used as prevention. It’s a barrier formulation that’s “designed” to stay put despite you peeing/kacking your pants up steep hills & sweating like a, err, fairy princess (?)

don’t use chamois cream (at least til you’ve tried sudocrem) – it’s designed to empty your wallet (and make your bits tingle !)

Premier Icon jonathan
    Subscriber

Sudocrem is mostly a barrier cream, so would do a reasonable job if you’re worried about it going wear other creams shouldn’t. Bepanthen is another nappy rash cream that would probably work well – it’s a bit “sticker” than Sudocrem.

I use Elite Ozone – works well, nice thin layer does the job, and not messy. My nose it now conditioned so that I get a slight rush of pre-ride anticipation when I get a whiff of it πŸ˜‰

Cooroo

I guess tingly is good?? Perhaps sudocrem with a few drops of peppermint oil?! Still have to research shorts, but I wear decent Enduras for women. Saddle never caused problems on 1 day rides…

Gary_M

Udderly Smooth is very good, very lubricating. Can be used for all sorts of things πŸ˜‰

roper

I use salad cream.
    Works a treat on friction and gives you somate to liven up your ride snacks.

simonfbarnes

Udderly Smooth

I use this and find it as good as Assos but cheaper and less likely to irritate I think.

enfht

goose fat πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

boblo

Another Sudocrem recomendation here. Get the real deal though, avoid fake ‘Psuedocrem’…. πŸ˜›

I’ve used it before, during and after and it works most excelently.

It says on the label ‘keep out of eyes, nose and mouth’ tho 😯

jacksta

form a girls perspective – Natures kiss on the inside and sudocream on the outside πŸ™‚

Sudocream do a small enough tub for your camelbak for mid ride top up πŸ™‚

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

And diverting slightly (but only slightly), are you planning on applying to your shorts or to you..?

I used to do the latter (the best bit about getting ready pre-ride), but now just lather it on the Assos chamois and hoist up the bibs for that “it’s surprisingly cold” moment.

Being a boy, I use some generic stuff – smells like Sudacrem. Probably tastes like it, too.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Green Baby Nappy Balm Here – wonderful, wonderful stuff discovered accidentally when we’d run out of sudocreme.
    The petroleum-free jelly is also very good.

http://www.beautyflash.co.uk/cat-mother-and-baby/for-baby/nappy-balm.html

Premier Icon leftyboy
    Subscriber

If already sore use Sudocrem

if not and it’s dry use

Vaseline

if it’s wet use

baby oil

Cooroo

if it’s dry… if it’s wet. What sort of question is that to ask a lady??

simonfbarnes

if it’s dry… if it’s wet. What sort of question is that to ask a lady??

listen, some of us are quite suggestible…

MTT

why is SFB always there to jump on a moment of innuendo?

old perv!

Assos here, generally speaking though you should look at the seating position first if you are suffering from blisters/redness.

simonfbarnes

why is SFB always there to jump on a moment of innuendo?

some of us are quite suggestible… need I say mower ?

mtbmatt

I use Udderly Smooth and its fantastic.
    Not had any saddle problems in any 12/24hr race I’ve done.

Used Assos before, which was good. But Udderly Smooth is better.
    Sudocream is a treatment, and works well. But its not a chamois cream, so only use it afterwards.

GNARGNAR

I had a bit of a chaffing/rubbing issue with my….lets just say my in betweenie bits. Neither my bits nor my bum. There is a name for this part of my anatomy but I dont want another ban unless it’s deemed rude.

Anyway, I used talcum powder, which kept it dry(ish) and meant the rubbing was less abbrasive. Chaffage no more.

PeterPoddy

Udderly Smooth is very good, very lubricating. Can be used for all sorts of things

LOL!

But yes, I ve been sore on 1 day rides before and was very aware th when I did the Trans Wales last year it would be 7 days solid in the saddle. I bought some Udderly Smooth from Wiggle, mainly because it was cheaper than Assos and it’s a bigger pot, and it was fantastic. No soreness at all.
    πŸ˜€

simonfbarnes

generally speaking though you should look at the seating position first if you are suffering from blisters/redness

and make sure saddle is properly worn in to fit you like mine:

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

Udderly Smooth is basically shea butter and a few other bits and should be perfectly OK if it goes ‘inside’ as well as out.

I find a thick slathering on the chamois itself, and then let it work its way where it needs to rather than applying directly to your bits, is the best approach.

If you get problems, the best nappy rash cream FACT is Metanium. Stings a bit when it goes on but clears up chafing issues overnight.

Metanium. FACT

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

This thread is wasted without pictures

thomthumb

It says on the label ‘keep out of eyes, nose and mouth’ tho

thats cos it tastes rank! dont ask!

jojoA1

I use Assos for enduro events and have had no problems with my ‘mucous membranes’. What a romantic description that is! Just remember to apply it before soreness occurs…. it flipping nips if you’re already un peu chaffed.

Premier Icon BlobOnAStick
    Subscriber

In my experience, minty arse lard is an aquired taste. It can feel very cool (almost wet?) and make the wearer rather uncomfortable.

I use the Ozone Elite cream for all chafing uses – on the bike, thigh run when running and erm,……well that’s all I can admit to.

Ben

crikey

Gnar, the word you are looking for is ‘taint’ as in it-ain’t your bum and it-ain’t yer balls.

Perineum to the rest of the world….

I’m an Assos boy myself, but anything that goes on greasy and stays around for a bit is good, but, as noted above, Assos does contain menthol which might be a bit….surprising…when first used on intimate lady bits.

MTT

I lathered up my pods the first time I used Assos MAL, never forget that.

assos for me, but then I’m a chap. My better half tried it once and decided against repeating the experience.

prior to discovering assos I was riding in Portugal and developing various additional holes in my arse due to a new saddle that didn’t agree with me, ventured into a chemist in a village in the back of beyond with the hope of buying some savlon as emergency butt lube (it works at a push), after about 10 minutes of pointing to my backside, miming cycling and generally making a fool of myself I left with something that wasn’t savlon leaving several smirking locals behind, reading the packing in the street it emerged I had procured something with the words “…hygene feminine…” on the label which transpired to be thrush cream. I decided to leg it rather than repeat the most humiliating game of charades ever, for the following few days I applied it liberally and applied it often, not sure how much good it did but my shorts have never smelt so good after a day in the saddle.
    Moral – prevention is better than cure, and take your own if travelling abroad.
    I did the transportugal a few years later, the locals all swear by some kind of halibut oil, doesn’t smell as bad as you’d think

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Anti Chafing Creams – advice please’ is closed to new replies.