Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anthems in the Lakes/Wales
  • Kryton57

So, if you have one, convince me that a Giant Anthem is fast and fun down the big bumpy stuff?

With that HA and 100mm, is it really?

legend
    Free Member

Yes, especially with a shortish stem and some mtfu

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I prefer an Anthem X, as does legend. They are suprisingly capable.

Kryton57

Sorry, it was the new Anthem X I’m on about. I’m thinking of adding and Anthem X to the Test list, but not convinced it won’t frustrate me on steep / technical downs – I’m coming back to realism from a 150mm bike.

Northwind

Anthem Xs are great… I’ve got a video somewhere of a ride we did at Innerleithen dh, with my on my Mmmbop, a mate on his 224, and our third member on his Anthem. He was not slowest 🙂

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Hmm, mine is in addition to a number of other bikes. I wouldn’t want one as an only bike. It doesn’t jump well (a bit long) and isn’t a dh bike (obviously!).

Its stiffer than i expected, bearings have lasted well, does not eat shock bushes, pedals well, is fairly light and was cheap. Discovered last month that swingarms are not too dear either after i crashed and dented it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What do you call the big bumpy stuff? No it won’t be good on a DH course, because its not a DH bike, but its as good as any other 120 mm bike downhill.

Stuart what kind if jumps do you mean? I’ve found for bunny hopping etc its one of the most nimble, flickable bikes I’ve ridden. Wouldn’t do biggap jumps etc on it though.

I’ve ridden mine down Snowdon, Garburn etc, but then again done them on rigid too. IMO its bugger all to do with the actual suspension travel but how a bike rides and feels..

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Tabletop type jumps mostly. Just doesn’t feel right on that sort of thing.

ojom
    Free Member

Anthems rule hard.

Long and kinda quick on the ups an flats.

If you have big enough man eggs you can make them do your bidding on the way down.

I had an Advanced a few years ago but it fell out with me, kept throwing me off when i was being bad so it left me and sold itself on ebay.

I still miss it and they never sent me a forwarding address.
    *bitter sweet tears*

Kryton57

Hmmm. Interesting commnents. I do like to have fun on the way down.

I tested a T120 today, never felt like I was using the travel (could only tell you what I used by looking at the shock), was firmish but comfy and quick too. However with the slacker (68) HA I cant help thinking the T120 would more fun/capable on the downs.

So for pure lack of anxiety, would the T120 be better fun? I’m testing a Trance btw, so that’d be the better direct comparison. Not sure if I should consider an Anthem TBH….

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Dunno, sorry. Never ridden a T120.

A mate has a Trance X and its lovely apart from not being able to drop the seat far enough compared to my Anthem X, still mine is large, his is small.

neninja
    Free Member

I had an Anthem X for a year. It was very fast uphill, great on typical XC trails and decent enough downhill but I found it a bit unforgiving if I was riding like a numpty.

I sold it after I got a Nicolai Helius CC – a tad slower uphill but loads more fun and faster on more technical downhill stuff. I still fall off but I tend to be travelling faster now so it hurts more …….. doh!

I do wish I’d kept the Anthem X though to complement the Helius.

shinsplints

I loved my Anthem (not an ‘X’ but the prior 90mm travel version). Went like a raped ape uphill but as others have said here not very forgiving if you were not 100 % on your game. I fell off that bike more than any other. Now what does that tell you…. 😳

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anthems in the Lakes/Wales’ is closed to new replies.