Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anthem X pivot bearing life?
  • onewheelgood

My Anthem is just over a year old, and has recently developed a really annoying creak. Tonight I bit the bullet and took it to bits and all the pivot bearings are shagged – they feel like they are full of grit. I've levered off the seals and they look like they feel. I guess I was spoiled by my previous Marin's lifetime warrantied bearings.

So is a year about normal for Giant Maestro bearings? How much should I expect to pay for a new set (I think there are 10 bearings in there!)? What tools would I need to have to do it myself?

onewheelgood

Thread killed with the first post…

Anyone?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My trance ones lasted two years before eliciting cracking noises. LBS changed mine about £50 I think.

ac282

If they are anything like my old epic, 1 year-18 months is normal. There will probably be 8 bearings and 2 shock bushings to change. You can press the bearings in and out using some sockets and a vice.

I got an anthem this year but haven't been able to find the specs for the bearings anywhere.

Does anyone know what bearings an anthem X takes?

onewheelgood

There are actually 10 bearings because there are 4 on the lower shock mount. I didn't press the bearings out but I did take the seals off, flush them out with GT85 and repack with grease – they feel better, but still pretty notchy.

And I've just reassembled it all without taking note of the bearing numbers. Doh!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

How did you get the seals off without damaging them?

onewheelgood

I have a very very small jewellers screwdriver and the seals can be levered off without damage. Probably related to the fact that they are not very effective seals.

Hadge
    Free Member

We use Enduro Max in our bearing kits which do seem to last a lot longer than standard ones. Have a look on the BETD website.

onewheelgood

Just heard from my LBS – Giant want £140 for the bearing set, so about £200 fitted. Since I only get to ride my bike at the weekends, that's about £4 a ride just for bearings. I'm not impressed.

@Hadge
    – BETD don't list a kit for the Anthem – have I missed something on the website?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd regrease as many as possible and replace only the shagged or critical ones.

MarkN
    Free Member

How much! I did my trance myself with a full set of Enduro "full compliment" bearings and it was no where near that cost.

If you do not fancy the Enduro set then get the numbers and look to a local bearing supplier. It will be so much cheaper than the Giant cost, no pun intended. It is not too bad a job to get them out and refit them.

onewheelgood

Mark, where did you get the Enduro bearings from?

neninja
    Free Member

Katek bearing kits for the Anthem X are £22 posted on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Giant-Anthem-bearing-kit-X1-X2-XO-Giant-bearings-Anthem-/140447609689?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20b3547359

I need a set for my Anthem X4 as it has started really creaking – less than a year old but gets used 4-5 times a week. I'll try cleaning and regreasing the bearings first and then fit the new ones.

malchales
    Free Member

had my loverly orange and silver X1 for over a year. Its been used more than once a week. Also in the Lakes, Ben Nevis, Afan and plenty of races inbetween and not a squeek. Probably go on me tonight during a night ride over the SDW!!!!

onewheelgood

Maybe that's the answer – I should just ride more often 🙂

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

Phew – now I am glad I bought a turner flux frame instead of a giant anthem X 🙂

onewheelgood

Just spoken to the LBS again. Apparently, that £140 is for not just the bearings, but the bolts and linkages – he says that for 2009 models Giant will not sell you the bearings on their own. Seems odd – can anyone in the trade verify this?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anthem X pivot bearing life?’ is closed to new replies.