Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anthem bearing replacements
  • DT78
    Free Member

Okay so the anthem creaks annoyingly, whipping out the shock looks like the bottom bearings could do with being replaced. I’ve seen katec sells then for approx £35 so how hard / long will it take?

I’ve got torq 12 aug bank hol and could do with the bike for then ( got a trail hard tail as back up) but in morzine for a week on the dh bike so I’m limited in time frame.

Other factor is this will be its last major outing as I will be replacing with a 2014 bike when they are out soon.

I could just leave it. Not sure i could cope for racing 6 hours on it creaking away…

jonke
    Free Member

Ipod will cure this

bruders338
    Free Member

pretty straight forward.. not a major drama if you damage the bearing on the way out just be careful not to damage the housing.

ideally with a press but if needs be use a threaded bar nuts an some washers.

or the cowboy way of a socket than sits on the outer cup of the bearing rather than the dust seal. and tap gently until home.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soulboy
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced mine and the job doesn’t take long with the proper tools. You may end up damaging bearing seats and/or new bearings if you bodge it (guilty!). Katec have presses for the two smaller sizes on the Anthem and they make the job a breeze. I’ve seen a tool by RRP: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/bearing-cup-press/product/review-rapid-racer-products-bearing-press-extraction-tool-bpet-11-44844
    The RRP tool works out more expensive, once you’ve factored in the adapters, but its cheaper than a damaged frame!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anthem bearing replacements’ is closed to new replies.