Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • anthem adv pro 29er….rivals?
  • DT78
    Free Member

an actual bike question.

planning on buying a full sus next season.  was set on a spark of some description (have raced a scale for sometime, 26er anthem before that)

want something for the occasional Wales trip and longer xc events as I plan to keep the scale

the spec on the 2019 anthem adv pro seems pretty amazing for £4k.  anything similar bikes close?  the same cost spark seems a lot lower spec.

I can get 12% off retail on Scott…not sure about the anthem I’d hope 10%

Clink

SC Blur

Intense Sniper

Orbea Oiz

etc

Loads of nice new xc bikes about now.

four
    Free Member

Purely based on my own internet research:

Scott Spark

Whyte S120

Canyon Lux

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DT78
    Free Member

I know the main brands, but do any of them spec carbon frame, wheels, eagle etc.. for 4k retail?  the closest spark is the 910 which doesn’t have carbon wheels

iainc

Anthem Carbon wheels are pretty fragile…. I swopped mine out after breaking 2 rear rims in the first 18 months on fairly innocuous trail features.. On Hope XC/Pro4 which are better by a mile.

DT78
    Free Member

oh that’s useful to know.  I’m not particularly hard on kit but I do ride stuff with a bit of commitment.  my LB self build on the scale have been solid after 3 years including battering down rocky Welsh trails, was kind of expecting similar from s composite wheelset from a big name.

If you don’t mind me asking how much do you weigh?

Wally

If I was in the market, I would also look at the Canyon Lux very carefully.

Ring them up – most models sold out quickly.

iainc

DT78 – I am 12.5 stone and quite a light rider. Mine is a 2017 Anthem 1, 27.5.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m only a little lighter, I’m looking at the 29er so possibly the wheels might be slightly weaker.

I’m also currently looking at 2019 models as by the time I’ve sold some stuff and got the money together its unlikely there will be any 2018 models I’m interested left.

I’d rather get a decent full build, as if I don’t I end up spending more overall upgrading

Off to canyons site for a look at the specs.

Kryton57

After a similar exercise earlier in the year I went with the Spark.  Having raced XCO, XCM and 8 of 12hrs plus my normal trail riding I don’t regret the decision at all, and really like the current iteration of the twin lock.

Its a beautifully absorbing great handling bike.

DT78
    Free Member

The 4k canyon lux has a bloody awesome spec, and it looks like your right the 2019 model is already sold out – I wasn’t expecting to have problems getting next years stock already.

I was sold on the spark, but my notional budget will only get me 910 level, which I’d constantly feel the need to upgrade 🙁

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve never had the advanced 29er but I had a regular alloy 26er anthem and it was one hell of a bike. I imagine the advanced 29er is even better, and if so will be a rocket. Currently have a yeti ascr and whilst it’s more capable on the downs, the anthem was far more suited to going fast pretty much everywhere else. Despite the fact it was heavier.

FYI..I also have a set of giant carbon wheels on my trance, trx 1c. They aren’t particularly burly either, 1650g in 650b guise. Not sure if they are substantially different than what comes on the anthem but no issues so far. Although I imagine they are tougher I ride much rougher stuff than I did on the anthem. Ie.. I don’t think there is anything fundamentaly wrong with giant carbon wheels. Iain, did you break yours doing fairly mundane xc riding? As I recall you’ve broken 2 rims, we’re they caused by rock strikes, or did they just break with no particular explanation?

iainc

tpbiker – the first one I didn’t even notice until after a ride, so must’ve been a pretty minor feature. The second one was a drainage bar that might have dinged an alloy rim, though not a certainty. When I went back to the LBS they were not surprised about the rims breaking. At £500 a rear wheel I decided to make a change.

Apart from the wheels, I have been very impressed with the current Anthem, I swopped the dropper to a Fox Transfer and changed grips and saddle, it is an extremely light and capable bike, and in big wild terrain holds its own with others with a heap more travel effortlessly.

tpbiker
    Free Member

That’s the kind of thing that puts me right off carbon rims to be honest. Especially ones that come as a Wheelset. Sounds a great idea until you smash one on a rock and have to replace the entire wheel.

I was mulling over some for the yeti, but if I do it’ll be a custom build with spare rims available..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My LBS has one of these in the window. It catches the sun and gleams. The paint job is sublime. Reminiscent of the old Schwinn Homegrown if anyone remembers that.

Haven’t had a chance to ride one, but sitting on it, the position feels spot on

Kryton57

Perhaps not by any means a bad bike, the Epic was the worst of the 3 being discussed according to STW, via the link in the first para of the Spark review here:

Review: The TwinLoc system on the 2018 Scott Spark RC 900 Team is this bike’s secret weapon

andypaul99
    Free Member

You really have to look at the bikes in person and if possible ride them too. I went into my LBS to initially purchase a Scott Spark, which looks nice if a little long and low for a XC bike. The downtube on the Spark is an oval affair that reminded me a little of an e bike. That same LBS also had the bike that the OP is asking about albeit the 2018 model. The Anthem was an absolute stunner and felt solidly put together too. I went for the Anthem and dont regret it, the bike absolutely flies and i think its better value than the Spark personally.

ac282

I’ve got a 2018 anthem. It’s a great bike. The only downsides I have found are the 27.2 seatpost which limits dropper options and there only being one set of bottle bosses.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Yep, I’m on the same as Kryton (Spark).  I was looking at all these options as my next bike.  I wasn’t really planning on buying so soon, but the Spark popped up on Pedalon in my size for a good price.

If money didn’t play a part in my decision, I would have probably looked at the new Canyon or an Epic. The Intense Sniper looks really good too, but they weren’t originally on my radar (maybe next time?).

I think it’s hard to gauge how a bike looks on pictures. Giants are one of those bikes where they look a bit dull on pictures, but look better in person.

I wouldn’t really say a Spark is too long and low for an XC bike… the current word champion rides one 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

those on sparks and anthems who are 5 11 ish are you on larges or mediums?  my 29 scale is a large with 100mm stem 740 bars and feels fine to me

that epic probably looks the prettiest.  carbon wheels too.

warranty wise giants is lifetime I believe Scott’s is 3 years.  what about others?

welshfarmer

5 11 and a bit on a Large Spark with seat right back. Feel it could be bigger still. Would definitely find a M too cramped.

mick_r

2018 Anthem 29 (al not carbon) and large is spot on for me at 5′ 10″ (running a flat bar with a bit more back sweep). Seat tube is quite long so just make sure a dropper fits if you are using one (Thomson 27.2 was just OK for me).

90mm back end was surprising capable in Verbier. 100mm Fox fork less so but fine for UK.

Kryton57

5’11.5 and on a Large Spark.

a) I’m too mentally fragile to be wondering whats going on with the Brain as it clunks when it rides

b) I had the prior Anthem and it was so good was convinced I’d get this one yet…

c) ..the slacker HA and twinlock / trail-to-race setup of the Spark drew me in.

This may not be true for you but the way I ride is in my head, so the more confidence and less foibles a bike has the better.

iainc

5’10.5 and on a medium Anthem 27.5. Fits perfectly. 120/110 suspension does more than enough for what I ride.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Shortarse 5 ft 8 and on a medium Anthem fits a treat.

The reach on the Anthems does come up long, which i was initially dubious about but it actually works really well and it feels perfectly weighted on the front wheel, the previous (2013) Anthem 29 i had felt light in comparison.

Clink

5’10” on medium Anthem 29.  Length feels fine, but seat-post maxed out.  It impresses me every time I ride it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Watching this thread with interest. But somewhat flummoxed on how you test ride giants and Specs….

Don’t suppose any of you six footers fancy a test ride on a nice carbon Spec Enduro Elite 29er for a few hours in the peak, lakes or north Wales?

Bike swap ( for a couple of hours only obviously)

johnw1984
    Free Member

Missus wanted to test ride a small Epic. Must have phoned/emailed about 4 shops within a 1 hour 30 min drive and no one would get one in.  Even demo days where they had a range of Specialized, they didn’t have an Epic.

Basically lost a sale, so instead she ended up getting a very nicely specced Trek Top Fuel.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Riding the Anthem on mixed terrian, forest roads, very lengthy and techy descending and two marathons this year. Elevation gain around 15,000m average per month since March.

I bought the bike specifically for Marathons and it does brilliantly.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d be looking at a KTM Scarp Master 12 if I were you, granted you don’t get carbon wheels, but you do get full DT Swiss ones and they’re bloody brilliant

http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/mountain-bikes/mtb—full-suspension/2019-scarp-29-master-12

Kryton57

FWIW the Spark’s wheels are also DT Swiss, albeit Synchos branded.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘anthem adv pro 29er….rivals?’ is closed to new replies.