Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anthem 29er Rear Gear Wire Problem
  • billyboy
    Free Member

Anyone else?

I’m doing about 200 miles and the rear gear wire is siezing up on me. Lubing it through doesn’t sort it so I’ve been replacing wires…a lot. I’ve tried several different cable makes and sealed end caps etc. Now I’ve resorted to a straight run of outer wire from the lower stop on the down tube to the rear mech. I’m only on ride two since doing that so early days yet.

Andy

No issues here in over 500 miles on 3 x 9 setup 😕 Have you got enough outer in the middle bit that goes past the shock?

singletracksurfer

No issues here either, sorry.

felltop

I had the same problem with my Anthem 29. Found that not attaching the cable to the rocker link solved it. The original routing had created a U bend, and water getting in could not get out again, quickly corroding the cable. That was 18 months ago, and only a few quick cleans required since.

Wally

sp41 and stainless Teflon coated cable is your friend.
    Cable sp41

theotherjonv

Put a Middleburn cable oiler in the middle and end runs and flush the wet out after each ride. Never had issues on my 26er, and can’t imagine the wheel size makes a vast difference

billyboy
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. The problem is definately at the back half of the cable run…..somewhere. I had already by passed that attachment on the bottom of the rocker so I put it down to the links further back getting water in them.

I’ll see how my latest attempt works out before I try something else.

billyboy
    Free Member

That didn’t work……………

… so I’m now on a whole run of outer cable.

I’ve taken it down by the rear brake hose and branched it off via the lower bottle cage bolt to lessen the angle, then missed out the rocker and gone straight onto the rear triangle. It’s the sweetest the gear change has ever been.

sprocker
    Free Member

I had the same problem on my trance it’s the last section into the mech. I extended it a bit and use a drop of grease on the cable end which keeps the shit out. It’s worked for the last 4 rides having been useless before.

coatesy
    Free Member

Full length SP41/sealed ends every time for me, and if I had a bike with the half-arsed bodge of cable routing that some manufacturers deem a good idea, i’d also be breaking out the zip-ties and working out my own arrangement.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anthem 29er Rear Gear Wire Problem’ is closed to new replies.